Much concern about experience, activities, work....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TayChic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! This is actually my first post. I just finished my freshman year at a mid-sized public college. I made all A's and one B (in a Sociology class). I am confident that my grades will be at a similar level when I apply to med school in a few years. However, I am very concerned that my activities and experience will not be up to par with my grades. My only activities so far include a sorority and a national honor society. I will have time next year to do some more activities and/or work. I was hoping someone could lead me in more of a "pre-med" direction. What kind of activities helped you the most and what can someone reccommend for me to try? Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, welcome to SDN!

There are many avenues that you can take which will help you broaden your perspective on life & demonstrate an understanding of medicine and a commitment to service when documented on your application.
Here are some options that I have seen posted here previously:

Volunteer with any organization that you find interesting (i.e. habitat for humanity, alternative spring break, big brothers/sisters, meals on wheels)

Vol with medically related organizations (i.e., hospitals, clinics, hospice)

Find a job as a research assistant in some aspect of biomedical or clinical research.

Get certifications as an EMT or CNA and work in a hospital part time.

Shadow a physician.

Ideally, whatever you choose to do, it should be something that interests you and something that teaches you about medicine or dealing with people in a way that you cannot get in the classroom. There is no one path to medical school, find the one that best suits you and Good Luck!

WELCOME TO SDN!!!

Aside from what pcl has stated, you may want to do a search on allopathic and osteopathic med.... see the diff.

I did research, tutored, teach, volunteered, shadowed, presented in research conferences, published absracts, acknowledge in a book, leadership position in clubs, academic advising, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your advice. I have always wanted to work part time in a hospital, and since we have two nearby, it would be ideal. But what kind of "job" can a sophomore in college get at a hospital?? :confused:

Anyone care to help? Thanks! :D

A friend of mine has a job in admitting. It's mostly paperwork, but she does get to see a lot, and gets to help with other things as well. She says she is getting great exposure and meets lots of docs, but I don't know personally.

Good luck. :)

Hey thanks you all. I'm going to have to try that. How long does training for EKG and/or phlebotomy usually take, and pay?

Originally posted by pcl:

Shadow a physician.

How exactly do you go about finding a physician to shadow. I've heard people on this forum say they've shadowed DOs and such but how do you get in contact with them? Does anyone have any info on this?

Originally posted by TayChic:
•Hey thanks you all. I'm going to have to try that. How long does training for EKG and/or phlebotomy usually take, and pay?•

I was trained for both EKG and phlebotomy in one summer. It really doesnt take that long and I'm sure there are some intensive programs that will train in even a shorter time period.

My hourly rate was around $10.00/hour but I'm sure it will vary alot depending on your location.

If people knew your location then they could give you specifics....<HINT>

Taychik wrote:

Thank you both for your advice. I have always wanted to work part time in a hospital, and since we have two nearby, it would be ideal. But what kind of "job" can a sophomore in college get at a hospital??

One of the most exciting things in life for me was to dive in head first where I knew my credentials didn't qualify me even wade around in the shallow end. In many instances people in the professional fields are impressed by a willing heart, and if you are enthusiastic and sincere in your approach, they just might go out of their way to find you something to do which is helpful for both you and them. Don't believe me? Give it a shot. Go to five clinics or hospitals, visit the MD/DO in charge or the volunteer coordinator, and ask them how you can help. Tell them what your plans are for your schooling. I bet you won't get through the first two visits before finding someone willing to throw a challenging and interesting meal onto your plate.

john

Taychic, my previous post sort of assumes that you are also willing to volunteer at least some of your time. If you are only thinking about paid employment, then my post probably won't be that helpful! Obviously, I did not mean to say that you can dive into a phlebotomy position without the credentials!

john