Much needed advice if anyone has any...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ak007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

i'm a 4th yr dental student applying to some GPR programs for the following year and would really appreciate some advice regarding the questions below if any one can help out that would be great:

1. I've heard some GPR's are very competitive, what sorts of things do they look at strongly in their applicants ie. high class rank, board scores, experience, etc.

2. I have done 2 externships in OMFS to broaden my expereiences and i was initially thinking to do OMFS but have decided that i would like to expand upon my current training in implants, sedation, esthetics, and persue general practice for now. Does it help or matter at all that i have done these externships in terms of applying to GPR's, and i have a reference letter from a surgeon at one of these externships, would you recommend that i use that for applying to GPR's?

3.Any tips for a personal statement when applying to GPR's

If you have a sec to get back to me on these i'd really appreciate it. THanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

i'm a 4th yr dental student applying to some GPR programs for the following year and would really appreciate some advice regarding the questions below if any one can help out that would be great:

1. I've heard some GPR's are very competitive, what sorts of things do they look at strongly in their applicants ie. high class rank, board scores, experience, etc.

2. I have done 2 externships in OMFS to broaden my expereiences and i was initially thinking to do OMFS but have decided that i would like to expand upon my current training in implants, sedation, esthetics, and persue general practice for now. Does it help or matter at all that i have done these externships in terms of applying to GPR's, and i have a reference letter from a surgeon at one of these externships, would you recommend that i use that for applying to GPR's?

3.Any tips for a personal statement when applying to GPR's

If you have a sec to get back to me on these i'd really appreciate it. THanks a bunch!

good questions. I'm also curious about this. Griffen, you did a GPR didn't you!?

good questions. I'm also curious about this. Griffen, you did a GPR didn't you!?

Yes, I did a GPR.

1) If a GPR is one of the more competitive ones (and there are some out there), it will probably look at your numbers when trying to figure out who to invite. How else do you whittle down a pile of 250 applications to 30 invites? If you get invited, then at the interview they are probably looking for people who will fit well with the program (attitude, personality, eager to learn & contribute, etc.). The opposite end of the spectrum is GPRs where they always have spots open after match day and these programs would probably be happy to take you if you have a pulse & a DDS.

2) Many GPRs have heavy OMS components. Most of them have you taking on-call in the hospital ER where all sorts dental/facial trauma can walk in the door and the GPR has to handle the emergency and perform the appropriate procedure (incision & drainage, suturing lacerations, etc.). The amount of responsibility you get can depend a lot on the hospital - are you looking at a VA hospital (little on call), a trauma I center (lots of trauma ER stuff), a hospital with an OMS residency (you may have to refer more of the OMS procedures in this case), etc. You really have to research the program by talking to the current residents to figure out what it's like. IMO, I think the OMS experience you have would be beneficial when applying.

3) You could write about your dental school experience (the exterships you did, leadership activities, etc.) & goals after you finish and tie it into why you want to pursue the GPR.

I think you will get out of a GPR what you put into it. I am now at a different hospital for my ortho residency and I am seeing how scarily similar the intrusive hospital bureaucracy is at both institutions. Residents at my GPR or ortho program come out with some amazing experiences & awesome CVs - but these are not the residents who sit back and enjoy the ride. You have to work around the bureaucracy and make the experiences yourself, so it helps if you have a go-getter attitude if you want to get the most out of your GPR.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you Griffin. Yhe GPR's in my program have had lots of diverse experiences, and some have been better than others. Those who were willing to go the extra mile got the most out of it. The residents who were interested in going on to postgraduate specialty training were especially motivated, for obvious reasons. In most cases their efforts were rewarded with good letters and placement. In the end, as in school, hard work often pays off. Selection is not as concrete as it would appear for a GPR. Many factors other than grades are factored in to the process. OMS interest is always a plus in a major trauma center, as we see a lot of it. The OMS residents always like a GPR who will help them take out teeth in the clinic and take call without bothering them too much.

Hi
Each program is different. Some have more medical/surgical background in the program - some advanced dental.

Each, of course looks at graduates and class standing, letters of recommendation (we expect them all to be positive) and national board scores.

Then it varies -
We look at what else the person did - class government, research, did they have to work to pay for school, externships, volunteer experience - THE TOTAL person

We look at the interview. how they present themselves, are they a team player.

We try to blend our program to have residents from as many different schools as possible (this year from Penn, Temple, Maryland, Pitt, UConn, Boston; last year Louisville, Temple, Maryland, Penn, Virginia).

We prefer a well rounded person than one is is first in their class.

Hope this helps... call or email any time.... look us up on the web.

I agree with Dr. Arm. Unfortunately for many dental students, applying to residency is their first entrance into the real world of applying for a job, albeit one which includes an educational experience. I am consistently amazed at the lack of forthought which is apparent in the application, CV, essay, and interview. The essay often seems like an afterthouoght which was written on the train on the way to school. No one seeking a responsible position in a reputable institution should come unprepared for an interview. And what about a portfolio of work? No architect would go to an interview without some way to demonstrate to the potential employer what he/she can do. The same applies for residency applicants. Let's see something.