MUCOM (Marian) vs CCOM (Midwestern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosierguy35

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
CCOM

Pros
  • Great reputation/more established
  • Rotation sites in Chicago
  • Match List
  • Interested in moving to big city
Cons
  • Tuition and COL are much higher--major reason I am hesitant about CCOM

Marian

Pros
  • Closer to family
  • Cheaper than CCOM by ~20,000
  • High match rate in Indiana
  • Impressed by facilities/interview
Cons
  • Newer School--just matched first class
  • Very focused on primary care--possibly interested in surgery

Summary: I was impressed by both schools, but I am unsure if the high tuition is worth it at CCOM. I would like to match in Indiana if possible for residency. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about Marian really, but based on your "Pros" alone, it seems like a good choice for you. It's much cheaper, closer to your family, and it's located in the state you want to match in. To me, that combination of factors sounds like a road to happiness.

As for your pro of "moving to big city" for CCOM, I'm sure you noticed on your interview that CCOM isn't in a big city. Downtown Chicago is about an hour away with traffic. Also, the tuition is absurd, and this is from someone who isn't super frugal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input. Could you elaborate more on this?

1. Its cheaper
2. I have never seen a CCOM match list that was as good as RVU, AZCOM last year, TCOM ect.
3. Closer to family
4. You are still like an hour out of chicago with traffic at CCOM (which for me is a + because I hate chicago)
5. You want to match in indiana

Reactions: 1 user
1. Its cheaper
2. I have never seen a CCOM match list that was as good as RVU, AZCOM last year, TCOM ect.
3. Closer to family
4. You are still like an hour out of chicago with traffic at CCOM (which for me is a + because I hate chicago)
5. You want to match in indiana

I'll play devil's advocate.
1. Yes x100
2. We had some impressive matches last year (Derm, Optho, Urological Surgery) and some meh matches, we have ortho slots "reserved" for our own students, a fair number of students self select FM before they even start school btw.
3. Having family close/available is important.
4. A couple dozen students in each class live in the city all four years, so if you want to live in the city it is possible. Many students go to the city on the weekends, volunteer in the city during the week etc.
5. CCOM has some core/elective rotations available in Indiana so matching in Indiana isn't difficult at CCOM

CCOM

Pros
  • Great reputation/more established
  • Rotation sites in Chicago
  • Match List
  • Interested in moving to big city
Cons
  • Tuition and COL are much higher--major reason I am hesitant about CCOM

Marian

Pros
  • Closer to family
  • Cheaper than CCOM by ~20,000
  • High match rate in Indiana
  • Impressed by facilities/interview
Cons
  • Newer School--just matched first class
  • Very focused on primary care--possibly interested in surgery

Summary: I was impressed by both schools, but I am unsure if the high tuition is worth it at CCOM. I would like to match in Indiana if possible for residency. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

MUCOM gets my vote, based on:

-Your family is closer
-Cheaper
-MUCOM will definitely set you up to rotate/audition at sites all over Indiana

Have you seen their recent match list? Many people matched outside of primary care. As a DO school, they would like their students to match into primary care, but they're are even more eager to increase the number of physicians in Indiana.