Mult MCAT with new and old

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbio2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I realized I don't think I ever got a direct answer for this. I took the MCAT (old) twice in 2014 and scored a 28 and 26. I was kind of an idiot and thought I could handle juggling school, work, research, and significant club responsibilities while trying to study for it because I wanted to start med school ASAP. Needless to say say I fell flat on my face with the scores, and ended up with two MD interviews which I ended up being rejected from.

While the thought of taking it ever again was dreadful, I took the new one this year on the advise of a medical school admissions staff. This time I put a lot more time and effort, and ended up with a 518 since I only had to worry about a laid-back part-time job. Is taking the MCAT a third time and/or my two previous scores going to be a killer for me? I don't know if it matters, but I wasn't planning on talking about my previous two scores unless asked directly about it by schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey so I realized I don't think I ever got a direct answer for this. I took the MCAT (old) twice in 2014 and scored a 28 and 26. I was kind of an idiot and thought I could handle juggling school, work, research, and significant club responsibilities while trying to study for it because I wanted to start med school ASAP. Needless to say say I fell flat on my face with the scores, and ended up with two MD interviews which I ended up being rejected from.

While the thought of taking it ever again was dreadful, I took the new one this year on the advise of a medical school admissions staff. This time I put a lot more time and effort, and ended up with a 518 since I only had to worry about a laid-back part-time job. Is taking the MCAT a third time and/or my two previous scores going to be a killer for me? I don't know if it matters, but I wasn't planning on talking about my previous two scores unless asked directly about it by schools.
Schools will know your previous scores. and will ask you about them since you had a 10 point increase from your previous score. What else does your app look like?

I took MCAT 2x (an old score and a new score) and wasn't asked about it! Maybe if it hits the 3x mark they might...but if anything this hx shows you're able to overcome setbacks and challenges and adapt to new study habits to succeed. I don't see any negative about your MCAT hx, personally.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools average scores, and others take the most recent. A 518 is nothing to sneeze at. Aim high, hope for the best. Sometimes you have to apply, warts and all.

Do NOT discuss your MCAT scores in your app! Save explanations for interviews.

Schools will know your previous scores. and will ask you about them since you had a 10 point increase from your previous score. What else does your app look like?

I think it holds up pretty well. 3.63 GPA, 2600+ hours of paid clinical at an undeserved clinic, 400+ at an ER with patient transport and parking, two years of research in undergrad (no pubs), I will be starting paid research at a top 15 school as a lab tech soon, and other various jobs through five years . Also have three leadership positions from undergrad, participated in clubs for four years (including some unique/interesting ones), and 180 hours of medical volunteering in the ER, patient transport, and nursing homes. My weak areas may be shadowing (20 hours of internal med and primary care combined) since I stopped after I got my clinical job (I was practically chained to my doctor and medical team and though that made up for it). I also only have about 50-60 hours of community service, but will be starting back up before apps. Also a URM.

I took MCAT 2x (an old score and a new score) and wasn't asked about it! Maybe if it hits the 3x mark they might...but if anything this hx shows you're able to overcome setbacks and challenges and adapt to new study habits to succeed. I don't see any negative about your MCAT hx, personally.

I hope that's how they see it! A friend was joking that taking the MACT more than once shows you're pretty set on being a doctor haha! Time was huge this round; I think I studied/practiced more verbal in one month for my latest MCAT than my previous two combined for example.

Some schools average scores, and others take the most recent. A 518 is nothing to sneeze at. Aim high, hope for the best. Sometimes you have to apply, warts and all.

Do NOT discuss your MCAT scores in your app! Save explanations for interviews.

Thanks Goro! I''m going to apply mostly to schools that take the most recent; was just scared a third test would end my chances before they began. Will definitely save it for the interview; just going to be honest and tell them I was an impatient idiot, and that I've learned from that.

I think it holds up pretty well. 3.63 GPA, 2600+ hours of paid clinical at an undeserved clinic, 400+ at an ER with patient transport and parking, two years of research in undergrad (no pubs), I will be starting paid research at a top 15 school as a lab tech soon, and other various jobs through five years . Also have three leadership positions from undergrad, participated in clubs for four years (including some unique/interesting ones), and 180 hours of medical volunteering in the ER, patient transport, and nursing homes. My weak areas may be shadowing (20 hours of internal med and primary care combined) since I stopped after I got my clinical job (I was practically chained to my doctor and medical team and though that made up for it). I also only have about 50-60 hours of community service, but will be starting back up before apps. Also a URM.

I hope that's how they see it! A friend was joking that taking the MACT more than once shows you're pretty set on being a doctor haha! Time was huge this round; I think I studied/practiced more verbal in one month for my latest MCAT than my previous two combined for example.

Thanks Goro! I''m going to apply mostly to schools that take the most recent; was just scared a third test would end my chances before they began. Will definitely save it for the interview; just going to be honest and tell them I was an impatient idiot, and that I've learned from that.

You can apply to where ever you want if you have a 518.

You can apply to where ever you want if you have a 518.

Haha I I've heard that from Goro before, but wasn't sure if taking it three times would get my app thrown out regardless of score...even at schools that take the most recent into account. That's heartening.

Haha I I've heard that from Goro before, but wasn't sure if taking it three times would get my app thrown out regardless of score...even at schools that take the most recent into account. That's heartening.
What type of URM?

Black male.
From 2013-14 through 2015-16 there were 16 black applicants with a 3.60-3.79 and 36-38 and all were accepted. Even 30-32 was >90% acceptance rate (Table A-24 2). I would not worry too much about overly-ambitious school choices.

Reactions: 1 users
From 2013-14 through 2015-16 there were 16 black applicants with a 3.60-3.79 and 36-38 and all were accepted. Even 30-32 was >90% acceptance rate (Table A-24 2). I would not worry too much about overly-ambitious school choices.

That's crazy. Only 16.

That's crazy. Only 16.
There are about twice as many with a 3.80+, but it's still insane. It also makes me wonder average household income in each MCAT range.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are about twice as many with a 3.80+, but it's still insane. It also makes me wonder average household income in each MCAT range.
MCATScores_zps6aff7435.jpg

I'd love some data that compares African Americans vs African/Carribean Immigrants, Asians born here vs Asian Immigrants etc.

Would be interesting to draw conclusions from that.

Lack of community service might bite you...

Wow only like 0.5 SD separation from middle to top, or to bottom.

With the amount of credit SES/background gets for academic performance I would have expected much more exaggerated differences than this
I think you might be under the impression that adcoms care a lot about SES. They dont. I actually have a theory that they use it for early intervention on folks accepted. Because lower SES students are more likely to drop out for academic or non academic reasons.

I think you might be under the impression that adcoms care a lot about SES. They dont. I actually have a theory that they use it for early intervention on folks accepted. Because lower SES students are more likely to drop out for academic or non academic reasons.
Nah SES got medium importance in the AAMC survey, I don't think it's used that much in admissions. I'm just saying if you'd asked me how I thought the richest and poorest would perform relative to the middle, I'd have guessed more than 2 pts differences

Nah SES got medium importance in the AAMC survey, I don't think it's used that much in admissions. I'm just saying if you'd asked me how I thought the richest and poorest would perform relative to the middle, I'd have guessed more than 2 pts differences
If only I had two more mcat points.

For whatever it's worth I am an African that grew up in a middle class white community haha. 16...that's...wow....

Lack of community service might bite you...
Thought it might be an issue, but didn't think 50-60 hours was too bad haha. Still going to start volunteering again before apps, once I get a fixed work schedule. Thanks for your input!

For whatever it's worth I am an African that grew up in a middle class white community haha. 16...that's...wow....

Thought it might be an issue, but didn't think 50-60 hours was too bad haha. Still going to start volunteering again before apps, once I get a fixed work schedule. Thanks for your input!
Word to the wise though- 60 hours community service doesn't exactly knock my socks off and they like longitudinal commitment. Maybe start ASAP to show at least a little longer term commitment to helping other people out for purely altruistic purposes rather than just ticking off a box on a cliche application (not to say that yours is).

Word to the wise though- 60 hours community service doesn't exactly knock my socks off and they like longitudinal commitment. Maybe start ASAP to show at least a little longer term commitment to helping other people out for purely altruistic purposes rather than just ticking off a box on a cliche application (not to say that yours is).

Very true; I haven't been able to do much volunteering the past couple years outside volunteering at a local religious group due to an irregular schedule, but definitely starting again once I get back to a 9-5/M-F job. Thanks for the input!