Multi-speciality group?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drwatson

Stern. Stern but fair.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've heard some people (Kent) talk about working in a multispeciality group. I was wondering how that worked. I have only heard of FP's in a group. How do the other specialities feel about it? How does something like this get setup? What are the other "specialities"? How is the pie divided up. I'm curious to hear if this is the "norm" for family docs.

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Great articles, thanks Kent.

So am I to assume this is similar to a law firm, where junior associates have to work their way to the top with the partners profiting from their efforts while they still make a good salary? Or can someone out of residency buy their way into partnership of the group?

In other words, how long (generally) does it take to become partner because unless you are a partner, it seems, you are just working for the group.

Other than the groupthink mentality and working with others, it doesn't seem there are any cons to this situation. But there have to be some, right?

This is an interesting practice model, one which I haven't considered or heard about before. Is it common for PCP's to be in one? Anyone else care to chime in?

So am I to assume this is similar to a law firm, where junior associates have to work their way to the top with the partners profiting from their efforts while they still make a good salary? Or can someone out of residency buy their way into partnership of the group?

Different groups are run different ways. In ours, it's possible for a new physician to become a full partner in as little as one year, depending on how fast they become productive.