Multiple acceptances

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Chorboke, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Chorboke

Chorboke Member

I was just wondering how many of you out there are holding multiple acceptances? Personally I don't believe that people should hold more than two acceptances at one time, and that they should quickly decide between those two.

Just curious as to what everyone else thinks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. drjo2002

drjo2002 Member

I'm currently holding two acceptances, even though I'm pretty sure I'll be going to NU I still want to hold on to my state school acceptance until I'm 100% certain I can afford the extra cost of Northwestern. I think if people don't know for sure they shouldn't feel guilty for holding on to multiple acceptances. They have earned the right to make a well-thought out choice. Once they've made a definate decision they should withdrawl though.

4. trout

trout Senior Member

When the schools finally get their acts together and send financial aid packages I would bet many people will drop acceptances....

5. none

none 1K Member

I see no particular reason why people shouldn't hold onto their acceptances until they are required to choose. They paid immense sums of money to acquire them as well as going under huge levels of stress. Everyone will get into where they will get into eventually. Holding acceptances longer doesn't change that. Why do you think the AAMC has created the situation it has if it doesn't expect applicants and schools to use it? What I don't understand is all of the people on this board who are only on waitlists and so worried about not getting in, when it isn't even May 15th yet!

6. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats

I think a person can hold on to as many acceptances as he/she wishes. Just come may 15th, then you need to start whiddling it down.

Such as: Say you get into a top 20 school and you drop a school that isn't ranked. What if you could have gotten a full scholarship at that other school you just dropped..but you didn't know b/c you dropped it!

So relax dude..things will fall into place. Holding onto greater than 6 or so acceptances I think is a little overboard...

I am holding onto three right now and I am on like 7 waitlists. I have withdrawn from about 4 of those waitlists...and should be hearing soon with more waitlists which I will subsequently withdraw from too. The main schools I am holding onto the waitlists at are the ones with NEED BASED finaid.

7. vyc

vyc Senior Member

i'm holding two acceptances right now and i feel super guilty about it esp bc i know i won't go to one of them for sure no matter what the money. i just want some leverage.

i promise everyone that i will let one go as soon as i hear about financial aid packages.

i think we should all try our best to be courteous and helpful to our peers in this otherwise horrible process.

8. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    i'm holding four right now. tomorrow (weather permitting), i will send out a letter to drop 1 of them.

the rest i'm waiting to see what financial aid i might get. since the schools i got accepted to are all similar in ranking, i'm in the position of not being able to distinguish amongst the schools.

9. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    the one i'm dropping told me that i'd only get loans, and their financial aid (MCW) package won't go out until june!!! so i'm saying to hell with that.