multiple Financial Aid Award Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nameless

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i guess i could always call a financial aid office but seeing that i want to know now...

if you have multiple acceptances at a couple of schools, will they send their Financial aid award letters before the May 15 deadline (USC, Tulane, UIC) i've done all the fafsa and supplemental info, so now i wait.

i've heard that you can use one school's offer against another's, but all of my schools say that the letters will be mailed out in may at the earliest, so i'm assuming that i may or may not have them before may 15?

thanks for any insight into this.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will, some schools won't. For instance UCSD told us they would mail the FA package in August! They did say if we *had* to know in order to make a decision we could contact them and they might be able to give us an idea of what we were looking at, but it wouldn't be a definite deal....we would have to wait till August for that.

Some other schools like Cornell or WashU said they would get back to you within 2 weeks of the forms being filed.

So it varies. Definitely if you don't hear and it's part of your decision you can try to speed them up, but I don't think schools really adjust their FA much due to what somewhere else has offered you.

Originally posted by the boy wonder
Some schools will, some schools won't. For instance UCSD told us they would mail the FA package in August!

Wow, that must only be the case with state schools or something. I know a lot of people that have made their decisions based on the finaid package offered. Sending it out in August is indicative that they are not trying to lure anybody to their schools with money which is typical of a lot of state schools.