Multiple MCAT scores, one >3 years old - what will schools see?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daemon14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I first took the MCAT in 2009 and got a 32Q (12PS 11VR 9BS). I applied in 2011-2012 and was waitlisted at multiple schools and never got off the waitlist.

I've been working on my application to strengthen it for this upcoming cycle. One thing I did was retake the MCAT in January 2013 -- I got a 38 (14PS 11VR 13BS).

My 2009 MCAT score is >3 years old at this point, but it still shows up in my AAMC THx. I'm guessing that schools will see it as well.

(1) Will schools see the old 2009 scores?
(2) If so, will they even take them into consideration since they are >3 years old?

The reason I ask is because I"m coming up with my school list and am wondering how to figure out my LizzyM score (I have a lot of factors that play into which schools I will apply, but that number is one of them). I don't know if I should average out the scores and call it a 35 (13/11/11) or just take the more recent test score.

FWIW, I'm a CA resident and will be applying to all the CA public universities for sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Well here's the thing, if the first one was your only score, most schools wouldn't accept it, but it's still going to show up on AMCAS and adcoms will see it. I'm not positive about exactly what goes on behind the closed doors admissions, but I do know that it widely varies from school to school. Some adcoms may have a numerical method assigning your GPA, MCAT, ECs a score. Depending on the school's policy they may only consider your second MCAT or average them. Not all school's give a numeral score to each application. Truth be told, in general it'd be better to have taken it once and gotten a 38 than your situation. That said, even the average of 35 doesn't really put you out of reach of any school. Not knowing the rest of your application, I'd say just apply broadly with a decent amount of schools in the top 25, but remember to add less selective schools in the mix as well.

Without turning it into a "What Are My Chances" thread, numerically speaking, my cGPA and sGPA are between 3.86 and 3.89 (depending on if they count community college classes I took while in high school). That's pretty steady and not that big a difference.

However, the difference between a 35 average and a 38 best score seems to be much different.

And yeah, obviously it would have been better if I got a 38 the first time, but things don't always work out that way, do they? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools aren't going to consider a score from 2009 for admissions purposes. This is explicitly stated on many of their websites. They will still see the score, but it technically shouldn't mean anything. If anything, you improved a good score to a great score. Also, most schools aren't going to average your scores, especially one that is "outdated."

Most schools aren't going to consider a score from 2009 for admissions purposes. This is explicitly stated on many of their websites. They will still see the score, but it technically shouldn't mean anything. If anything, you improved a good score to a great score. Also, most schools aren't going to average your scores, especially one that is "outdated."

Thanks. I read school sites but I didn't know if them seeing it meant that they'd consider it. I'm just thankful that my score went up and not down!