Multiple misdemeanors and medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hockeyneu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to this site so bear with with me! I'll start by saying when I have a DUI, Public Intox, MIP, and fake ID change on my record all from when I was 18. It honestly boils down to me experiencing freedom away from home for the first time while thinking I invincible and that none of it would matter in the long run (so ignorant I know), but here I am a reality check and 2 years later hitting myself in the head for being so naive and immature. There is not a day that goes by that I don't regret getting myself into trouble, but I'm not posting on here to say how sorry I am or whine about something that can't be changed. I am here to know my honest changes on getting into medical school.

I went to community college my freshman year. I really didn't know what I wanted to do with my life yet and my grades reflected that. I took random gen eds, ended with a 3.0 and then transferred to a 4 year university once I had a general idea of what I wanted to do at the time (biology).

One thing developed into another once I started exploring the biology field. It turned into me becoming interested in the medical field, so I started to take some of the pre reqs just in case. After taking my time to explore further, I am now at the point where I 100% know this is what I want to do and I'm willing to do anything I can to be a doctor.

I have absolutely learned my lesson and my progress since then reflects it. My gpa has increased significantly since transferring, 3.70 cumulative at the end of my sophomore year after taking all science classes. I have a couple leadership positions including: philanthropy chair of an organization and a chemistry tutor along with volunteering doing meals on wheels. I realize those aren't significant, but i'm in the process of applying to be a TA for this coming year, am taking a medical based service trip this fall, and have also contacted our local hospital and am going to start volunteering this fall. I am currently job shadowing and taking chemistry this summer to keep boosting my gpa.

I talked to the district attorney and he said once my public into, MIP, and fake ID charge are off my record he will would expunge my DUI. The only thing is that I am not sure yet if those 3 charges are going to come off after a certain amount of time (I am in the process of figuring that out now). and also feel as though I will have to still disclose my criminal record on my applications.

I have been really hesitant to move forward with this due to my criminal record, low community college GPA, and not deciding to fully commit to until the summer going into my junior year. I was thinking maybe not apply until my senior year and then take a gap year? Any advice or input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will still have to disclose. No one can know for sure how much it will hurt but it will. DUI drivers suck. Your best bet to show change is not get in any more trouble, like NO trouble, don't be within 100yrds of trouble.