Multiple Ws on transcript, but for a good reason

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i am the moon

pineapple.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I looked through some old (circa 2007) posts but most of them involved single Ws or depression-related Ws. So...thought I'd make a new post.

I have two entire semesters of Ws on my transcript because I have a health condition that necessitated me having to withdraw twice during my freshman year to be hospitalized for over two months (each time). I know that I ought to mention this in my personal statement, but I'd rather not go into excessive detail about it.

Even if I do manage to explain sufficiently in my PS, is it likely that I will not be offered an interview/accepted on the grounds that they might think the health problems will recur and I would have to withdraw in med school?

The problems seem to be resolved so I don't anticipate having to withdraw again for the rest of undergrad. I may even be able to get all Ws expunged from my transcript, but just in case I can't, I thought I ought to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I looked through some old (circa 2007) posts but most of them involved single Ws or depression-related Ws. So...thought I'd make a new post.

I have two entire semesters of Ws on my transcript because I have a health condition that necessitated me having to withdraw twice during my freshman year to be hospitalized for over two months (each time). I know that I ought to mention this in my personal statement, but I'd rather not go into excessive detail about it.

Even if I do manage to explain sufficiently in my PS, is it likely that I will not be offered an interview/accepted on the grounds that they might think the health problems will recur and I would have to withdraw in med school?

The problems seem to be resolved so I don't anticipate having to withdraw again for the rest of undergrad. I may even be able to get all Ws expunged from my transcript, but just in case I can't, I thought I ought to ask.

This is question best left for someone like LizzyM (aka med school adcom member)

BTW: best of luck to you
Side note: I had a medical issue that prevented me from applying last year (never became as serious as your issue), but I can empathize, at least partially, with you

:luck:

The problems seem to be resolved

That's the part you need to make sure is clear to your schools. I don't believe Ws factor into your GPA (correct me if I'm wrong???) but the concern is that you'll need to be hospitalized again during rigorous training in medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the part you need to make sure is clear to your schools. I don't believe Ws factor into your GPA (correct me if I'm wrong???) but the concern is that you'll need to be hospitalized again during rigorous training in medical school.

Right, the Ws don't affect my GPA at all. However, they WILL show up on my transcript and I don't want to be declined an interview on that basis. :oops:

How much of my PS, do you think, should be devoted to the Ws as opposed to why I want to be a doctor and why I love X medical school? Should it be a focus or merely something that I address in brief?

& riceman - hope you're feeling better! :)

If you have multiple W's, you will have to address them in depth. Although they don't affect your GPA, an unexplained (or unjustified) W is probably going to be treated the same as an F.

^^^ All right, good to know. Thanks for answering that question! :D

doesn't your undergrad have like a medical leave that you could have used? Or get the Ws changed to that retroactively? In any case, I'd talk to med schools and see what they say.

doesn't your undergrad have like a medical leave that you could have used? Or get the Ws changed to that retroactively? In any case, I'd talk to med schools and see what they say.

That's what I'm working on right now. I didn't know exactly what I was doing when I withdrew but the vice chancellor said he would be able to remove the Ws for me. It's been two years and he still hasn't done it, so I've been playing phone tag with him for the past several weeks trying to see what's up. So. Hopefully they'll get removed, but we'll have to wait and see.

If you have multiple W's, you will have to address them in depth. Although they don't affect your GPA, an unexplained (or unjustified) W is probably going to be treated the same as an F.

That is a little extreme. If nothing else, an actual F shows that you aren't even capable of monitoring your progress in a course and can't withdraw yourself from the course by the deadline. Multiple W's on a transcript may imply that the person consistently over extends themselves or quits when things get tough.

OP, your medical condition excludes you from this group. I would mention it briefly in my personal statement and include that the condition is now resolved. By the time you apply you should have better things to talk about in your PS. Your medical condition is outside of your control and reasonable people won't hold it against you. Good luck.

That is a little extreme. If nothing else, an actual F shows that you aren't even capable of monitoring your progress in a course and can't withdraw yourself from the course by the deadline. Multiple W's on a transcript may imply that the person consistently over extends themselves or quits when things get tough.

OP, your medical condition excludes you from this group. I would mention it briefly in my personal statement and include that the condition is now resolved. By the time you apply you should have better things to talk about in your PS. Your medical condition is outside of your control and reasonable people won't hold it against you. Good luck.

I agree...those W's will not be looked at as F's with your condition.

This thread brings up an important issue IMO...many people are in this situation due to health reasons yet are great students.

futIDdoc said:
Although they don't affect your GPA, an unexplained (or unjustified) W is probably going to be treated the same as an F.
No it won't.

Yeah, I'd really, REALLY like to think that they would take my condition into account rather than just assuming that I'm lazy or unmotivated. My grades aside from the Ws are fairly good and I anticipate a strong MCAT score as well. Hope that and my ECs can make up for the Ws, especially if I can explain them in my PS....

Should I provide documentation of my illness, or just let my PS speak for itself and have them trust me at my word?

A gap in the application of a long stretch of Ws or something indicative of medical leave does need some explanation either in the committee letter or in your PS. The adcom's concern is whether you have what it takes to successfully complete medical school training. Therefore, it might be important to highlight your cure, recovery or long term remission, or that a chronic illness is being well controlled with attention to medication, diet, exercise, etc. (as with diabetes).

Thank you so much, LizzyM, for responding! I'm transferring schools to be closer to my treatment team so I won't have a committee letter from the committee that was actually present for my withdrawals. However, I could definitely address it in my PS or tell the committee at my new school what happened and they can include it in their LOR.

I've never felt better, even though I know it's impossible to ever know for sure. But by the time that I apply, I hope to have two years under my belt!

Yeah, I'd really, REALLY like to think that they would take my condition into account rather than just assuming that I'm lazy or unmotivated. My grades aside from the Ws are fairly good and I anticipate a strong MCAT score as well. Hope that and my ECs can make up for the Ws, especially if I can explain them in my PS....

Should I provide documentation of my illness, or just let my PS speak for itself and have them trust me at my word?

I wouldn't go into too much detail in explaining the W's, but I would state a short explanation for why they happened. Anything more than that and it looks like you're making excuses. I had 14 W's on my early transcript and explained briefly the reason for it and managed to get in, so I do not think it is too big a deal so long as you have shown improvement and have not continued on that trend. Hows that for a run-on sentence.

May I suggest getting a LOR from someone from your current school who knows what you went through and have it submitted to Interfolio or to your new pre-med committee (for your file). Something like that is very reassuring to an adcom.

If a school held these Ws against you, that'd be F****d up! I think your condition will definitely mitigate your Ws.

I wouldn't go into too much detail in explaining the W's, but I would state a short explanation for why they happened. Anything more than that and it looks like you're making excuses. I had 14 W's on my early transcript and explained briefly the reason for it and managed to get in, so I do not think it is too big a deal so long as you have shown improvement and have not continued on that trend. Hows that for a run-on sentence.

I think that for medical conditions that require inpatient care, or that require highly toxic outpatient treatments, it is reasonable to go into some detail, not of the medical condition necessarily but that the reason was not poor time management or over-extension but a serious illness or injury that required medical attention. If this can segue into a paragraph in the PS about interactions with other patients or with how the situation provided valuable information about careers in medicine or aspects of medical care (team work, the 24/7 nature of the service, the patchwork of insurance programs and coverage) then all the better and a good way to get around to why one wants to be a physician despite having seen it warts and all from the patient perspective.

I know people that have had a handful of Ws that got into medical school without having to explain them. I don't think these are as big of a deal as some make them out to be.

I'll definitely contact my old school, then. The vice chancellor and the Dean of Students were both very involved with my case. (After my first semester of withdrawals, I checked in with them frequently throughout my one completed semester and my second withdrawal semester.) I could ask one or both of them to type something up.

I'd rather them not go into excessive detail about the nature of my illness, primarily because I don't think it's relevant and don't want to sound like I'm seeking sympathy. I'd prefer to address it in my PS by focusing on the patient's perspective of inpatient treatment and how I grew as a person through that experience. Do you think it would be rude to ask them not to mention my diagnosis but stick to confirming the fact that my Ws were from medical withdrawal?