1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MUO MEDStart

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by owleyes, Nov 26, 2005.

1. owleyes

owleyes Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey does anyone know about MUO's early acceptance program, MEDStart? Do they only accept Ohio residents? What exactly are they looking for in terms of GPA and extracurriculars? It seems that not many apply and they take about 50% of their applicants. I'd love to hear your experiences with this program, thanks :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Emergency!

Emergency! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    From MUO's webpage, click on the "Read more . . ." link where it talks about MedSTART.

"Who is eligible to apply?
    To be eligible to participate in the MEDStart and to proceed with enrollment at MUO upon completion of a baccalaureate education, the student must have the following qualifications:

• Application to the program in the student’s junior year of undergraduate studies.

• An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.7 or higher at the time of application and a GPA of
    3.5 during the student’s senior year of undergraduate studies.

• An ACT score of 29 or higher or an SAT score of 1250 or higher.

• A minimum of one year of general chemistry with labs, one year of organic chemistry/or physics
    with labs and one year of biological sciences completed at the time of application.
    "

I took organic chemistry with a girl who got accepted into the program. If you meet the academic requirements, call them and talk to them about your background. They will probably be pretty honest with you about your chances.

Good luck!

4. reedgw

reedgw Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey, I thought I could be of some help to you.

I am a student who was accepted into the MEDStart Program last year right around this time, and I'll be attending MUO next fall for 4 years to get my MD degree. I'm really excited :)!

As far as the "50%" acceptance rate goes, don't be too excited about that. The MEDStart Program is geared toward the very best students who want an early start at medical school and want to forego taking the MCAT, or just love MUO and would like to get in as early as possible. That being said, you really do have to be a really great student. The website says that about 50% of people get in, but that number is weeded out. Usually Premedical committees do the initial screening. I hear that the true number of applicants was in the hundreds, but the final apps of those qualified was around 40. I think that number might be the number who interviewd at MUO for the program? Basically, I wouldn't get too much hope if you don't have a 28+ ACT or a 3.7+ GPA. These are kind of the minimum standards. They avg GPA of those admitted was 3.8+, ACT around a 30. 2 years ago they would have been more willing to budge on that stuff, but they have new administration in the college who are really bumping up the standards.

Feel free to PM me and ask me any questions you want. Really, anything. I pretty much know it all when it comes to this program, trust me, I've spent A LOT of time looking at it. I decided to do it though, and I'm very glad I did :)

Lookin forward to hearin from you,
    Grant

5. reedgw

reedgw Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh and they do take out of staters for this program. When I did the 2 week long orientation this summer (which was really awesome!!!) I'd have to say that about 1/3 were out of state... from places like U Mich, NC Chapel Hill, someone from Stanford... etc. Extracurricluars - they really like to see you have research and community service. Cultural competence is a must too. Just PM me and I'll tell ya more about the school and the summer program and all that jazz.

6. Daichi Katase

Daichi Katase Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

"muo" sounds funny.

7. Daichi Katase

Daichi Katase Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am seriously not drunk.