MUO vs. UIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soumdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an Illinois resident and have been accepted to both schools. The only thing is that my husband is studying in Ann Arbor. Toledo is only about 45 minutes away, while Chicago is a good 3.5 to 4 hours. I would love to stay in Chicago because of the urban environment and clinical opportunities associated with a big city, but I would like to be able to be with my husband. I did not get an interview from UMich yet, which would solve all my problems, so that is why I am comsidering.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I think I was at your interview at MUO and spoke with you. I think you probably have to weigh how you would deal with the added stress of being far away from your husband during medical school. So many of the students at MUO seemed so happy that it seems like a pretty good school. Anyway, only you can know where you would really be happy - but congrats on the acceptances. :)

soumdoc -

You have awhile to hash things out and make a decision. You can hold both acceptances until May 15th. Don't rush into a decision. $$$ and financial aid might also be considerations. You'll pay out of state tuition your first year at MUO (instate the last three), but cost of living will be lower than Chicago.

Good luck with your decision. I was facing a similar one last year. Fortunately, I got accepted to the only school that would allow me to live with my husband.

Amy

From an academic standpoint, I think UIC wins out (amazing clinical opportunities in one of the most urban/diverse cities in the country, very strong research, more well-known reputation and a inevitable rise in ranking if thats you're type of thing). From a family stand point, MCO wins. You'll be close to your husband and that is obviously super important. Both match lists are strong, however, negating the academic edge slightly. At the end of the day, go where you'll be happiest. If I were in your boat, I'd probably want to be closer to my spouse.