ruler

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2005
Status
Medical Student
is the muscle relaxation active (require energy) or passive process?

ruler

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2005
Status
Medical Student
alex8712 said:
Active, thus why rigor mortis sets in after death.
yes,but are we need ATP as energy or just as modulater to end the interaction between actine and myosine

About the Ads

dinesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Canada
Status
Dentist
I actually got this question in a MCQ paper once.
It is an active process, but to cause relaxation you also need atp.
Basically, ATP is needed both for contraction and relaxation, but when no atp is available, the muslces just 'stick' in the 'on' position.

It's like in your car, you need to put it into drive from park. Both require movement of the stick. But you still need to move the stick into park, it can't happen for itself. err

I think i just confused myself

trudub

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2003
Nebraska
Visit site
Status
You are, however, correct to say that it does not cost an ATP to relax the muscle. To relax, you merely need to bind a new ATP. That ATP is not used until the next contraction. So, it does require ATP but to say that it is an energy requiring process might not be exactly accurate.

Reactions: Backtothebasics8

dinesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Canada
Status
Dentist
Don't you need ATP for the atpase activity to allow reaccumulation of the caclium in the sarcoplasm.

trudub

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2003
Nebraska
Visit site
Status
dinesh said:
Don't you need ATP for the atpase activity to allow reaccumulation of the caclium in the sarcoplasm.
Yes, but that isn't what actually drives the process of relaxation, although it is necessary to maintain relaxation.

Hausdaddy24

Im that man fromNantucket
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2005
Chicago, IL
Status
Pre-Medical
trudub said:
Yes, but that isn't what actually drives the process of relaxation, although it is necessary to maintain relaxation.
My anatomy textbook actually lists the reuptake of calcium into the sarcoplasmic reticulum (by an active pump) as the very first step of relaxation. without calcium in the sarcoplasm the tropomyosin-troponin complex changes shape and covers myosin binding sites which= relaxation. So yes relaxation is an active process.

Hausdaddy24

Im that man fromNantucket
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2005
Chicago, IL
Status
Pre-Medical
trudub said:
You are, however, correct to say that it does not cost an ATP to relax the muscle. To relax, you merely need to bind a new ATP. That ATP is not used until the next contraction. So, it does require ATP but to say that it is an energy requiring process might not be exactly accurate.
Your'e referring to an individual myosin head when you say that as it binds ATP it relaxes, which is true. But there are many other myosin heads contracting asynchronously so as a WHOLE, the muscle fiber does not relax upon the binding of ATP, instead it relaxes upon the uptake of calcium into the S.R.

ruler

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2005
Status
Medical Student
lattimer13 said:
NO NO NO!!!

all you need for relaxation is Skelaxin...or so the patients keep telling (demanding from) me.
what do you mean by skelaxin?

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hausdaddy24 said:
My anatomy textbook actually lists the reuptake of calcium into the sarcoplasmic reticulum (by an active pump) as the very first step of relaxation. without calcium in the sarcoplasm the tropomyosin-troponin complex changes shape and covers myosin binding sites which= relaxation. So yes relaxation is an active process.
Yes, but (at least in the heart) there are also sodium-calcium antiporters in the sarcolemma. They allow calcium to leave the cell, fueled by the external sodium gradient. It's the the balance between these antiporters and the SR Ca++ ATPase that is important. I suppose you could argue that the sodium gradient to fuel the sodium-calcium antiporter wouldn't exist without ATP, since ATP is needed to maintain the Na+/K+ pump. I guess that's why it's called secondary active transport. :p I'd say that muscle relaxation is an active process in the grand scheme of things, but not when you hone in on an individual myosin head dissociating from the myosin-binding site (and by active, I mean that ATP is hydrolyzed).

ruler

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2005
Status
Medical Student
oh,yes thanks about your informations but ididnot mean that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About the Ads