bassfishindoc

Chief Mugwump
Jun 4, 2009
The Mountains
Status
Medical Student
Hey everybody, got a quick physiology question. Why does a muscle get stronger for the first two weeks of muscle building before it starts to get bigger?

Rollo

Renowned Wolf
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Medical Student
Possibly because you're recruiting more and more motor neurons?

Interesting question though. Never really thought about it. Curious to see what the actual answer is.

txprodigal

10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2008
Status
yeah i always thought it was just your nervous system adapting to the new stress before the hypertrophy takes place... but i would also like to know the real reason

atstudent

Certified Athletic Traine
7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2009
Waterloo, IL
mnhopper1s.wordpress.com
Status
Non-Student
yeah i always thought it was just your nervous system adapting to the new stress before the hypertrophy takes place... but i would also like to know the real reason
I would agree with this. Before the hypertrophy takes place, the muscles must be trained to complete the task. Your brain must be able to instruct your muscles to move in the movements. Neuromuscular control must be developed before the hypertrophy takes place.

May 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
From my years of weight training, muscle get bigger based on the nutrients provided, ie protein. While one does get stronger with adequate nutrition, strenght is chiefly a product of recruiting more motor neurons in attempt to adapt to a particular stress.

txprodigal

10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2008
Status
recently covered it in physiology lecture... initial adaptation is better recruitment of motor neurons

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Better adaptation of the cell to the rigors of frequent, intense contraction as well as the neuron adaptation.