Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Music Considered Slacker Classes ????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by einey, Jan 12, 2002.

1. einey

einey Member
    15+ Year Member

Are Music Classes considered Fluff or GPA fillers? I'm trying to raise my nonscience GPA and I have a long history of being a musician. I've had songs accepted by Warner Bros Music. I want to continue with guitar, MIDI and songwriting classes, which aren't easy, but they aren't as difficult as Latin either, so I'm wondering if ADCOMS consider music fluff????

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Gottalaugh

Gottalaugh Member
    7+ Year Member

One of my undergraduate majors was vocal performance aka singing. Nobody has said anything negative, during my interviews, regarding all of the theory, diction, language, and performance classes I have taken. Actually, a lot of the theory classes I took were harder than the core science ("premed") classes. Research carefully before you take one just to raise your GPA!

GL

4. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Membership Revoked
    Removed

At my school, music is no fluff. It might not be as intellectually demanding as chemistry or engineering but the effort required to do well is often times much higher than in the other majors.

At my school, the music courses required an enormous amount of practice. Most of my music major friends spent 3-4 hours every day practicing. Also, they had to do lots of "extra" stuff that really didint count too much in their courseload. For example, they were required to participate in small ensemble practices and performances. As a result, often they were required to take 19 or 20 hours worth of courses a semester.

I dont know how med schools look at music majors, but my guess is that they are not given any more credit or prejudice than other majors.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Music fluff? Hah, my music major friends work harder than I do to get good grades. Surely ADCOMMS will realize that and not hold it against you.

6. I hvae taken music classes on the side that were easy, performance, and really really fun. When I told adcoms they were extremely impressed that I pursued my other talents in additon to my overall spectacular EC's :D

sorry had to be vain on that last one.....hehe