Music Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Murd0ck

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if med schools are interested in music majors (provided they take the pre-reqs)

just curious

-Murdock

Members don't see this ad.

I know a music major who is going to med school next year. She'll either be at UTSW or Baylor.

Thanks i was wondering if there were any of them out there because that would be like the best thing ever

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a music major! It's great! Med schools really like to see musicians apply to med school because it is widely known that musicans tend to be more well-rounded, more common sensical, etc. etc. They tend to be the type of people who can work well in groups but also can work alone. Med schools know this. It will only help you if you apply! Trust me, it doesn't hurt! The only tough thing, is that music mjaors have to donate a lot of time to rehearsal, etc. etc. We tend to have more classes worth fewer credit than fewer classes worth more credit, and there's homework for all of those. It's a tough balance. But it's great! When I want to "take a break" from studyin orgo, I can go play my instrument and "work."

PM me if you wanna know more.

My old roommate was a Music major and he's been very successful in the application process. He's been known to frequent these boards...

The way i see it- even if i cant make it in medicine, i have a backup plan teaching or performing music which is awesome.

i know communacation skills are important in medicine just as they are in the biz- ie getting gigs

thanks guys

Originally posted by Murd0ck
The way i see it- even if i cant make it in medicine, i have a backup plan teaching or performing music which is awesome.

i know communacation skills are important in medicine just as they are in the biz- ie getting gigs

thanks guys

Music major here! :)

Don't ever let your major deter you from applying to med school! All adcoms care about is whether or not you fulfilled their prereqs...have a decent enough GPA, and your "non-bio" major may actually be a point of interest!

-A fellow non-bio major

I started off as a music major, then graduated with a BFA in dance :) Took all the prereqs after graduating, and have gotten into 4 schools already :) It can ABSOLUTELY be done!

Originally posted by TheFlash
My old roommate was a Music major and he's been very successful in the application process. He's been known to frequent these boards...

Gee, I wonder who you're talking about! :D

I was actually a music and biochem double major, but ended up switching to an interdisciplinary major in ethnomusicology (courses in music, anthropology, and sociology). My major and research (music and healing/health promotion) has always been a huge topic of conversation at interviews. I think a lot of schools have been interested in me in large part because of my background.

Bottom line: Do what you enjoy, do it damn well, and have a lot of fun; college is too short to be a simple hoop to jump through for medical school, make the most of it!

Not to sound like an assbag, but is ethnomusicology like an actual major, or is that some word you just made up?

this forum rocks:horns:

Originally posted by Murd0ck
Not to sound like an assbag, but is ethnomusicology like an actual major, or is that some word you just made up?

this forum rocks:horns:

It's an interdisciplinary academic discipline, there are many undergraduate and doctoral programs in ethnomusicology, it's basically the study of music and culture. It's not a word I made up. With that said, I am withdrawing from this thread.

If I knew I'd end up in medical school, I probably would have kept music as my major. The science was nice, but not all of it was applicable to what I'll need to know in my career.

Med schools look at WHERE you went to school, your numbers, and anything special and unique about you. Music is just as good a major for you as anything else.

Most excellent :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure i want to be a musicain/music teacher was just wondering about other possiblities.