Abulcasis

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I know this might be a little out there but music really helps me become focused while I'm studying. I get a lot done but lately I've been lacking good music. Generally, I listen to songs that aren't too upbeat or dance crazy but those that are slow and have good rythym and beat. A lot of the songs are Korean too (I like foreign songs)

What songs do you listen to or suggest? :)

annihilatorpro

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I absolutely can't study to anything with lyrics, it just completely messes with my train of thought. So, it's almost exclusively instrumental music, but choral music is great - I LOVE Mozart's Requiem, since it really gets me in the kind of impending doom mood that I need to kick start my mindset into studying.

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Rock/Metal/Hardcore (lol). Hardcore pre-med study attitude right? : |

About the Ads

cyclin M

megaman
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Bunker
Status
Pre-Medical
Lyrics mess me up too, so I listen to foreign music like Japanese stuff that I do not understand. I also like whenever songs use synthesizers. Also, Daft Punk is great. I can get a solid hour of studying done w/their Discovery album which runs about 1 hour.

phospho

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Columbus, OH
Status
Medical Student
i listen to some good trance while studying...no lyrics, the tunes are amazing, and they are very upbeat... been doing that for a few years now...

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student
I listen to nothing. No sounds for me. I have a big sign on the door to the office that says, "Make a noise, you're a ****ing dead man."

That is fully enforced

TheMagicCookie

Sexier than Punxsutawney
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2008
Lexington
Status
Pre-Medical
I study and get much more work done when I have music playing in the background...silence distracts me too much, as funny as that sounds. I have Rhapsody on my laptop and it's awesome. Depending on my mood I can get pretty much any song or genre that I want... I highly recommend it. It's worth the subscription price for as much as I use it.

cwtreloar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Same here, I can't study to anything with lyrics (especially if I know the song). Instrumental music is the way to go.

1. George Winston (contemporary piano/guitar = amazing performer)
2. Enigma (most of their songs have a few lyrics here and there, but it's fantastically mystical and earthly)
3. Godspeed You! Black Emperor (very few lyrics, very moving compositions)

Ras Tafari

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2008
Atlanta
Status
Attending Physician
I mostly listen to pretty chill music while studying. Lots of reggae- any of the Marleys, Barrington Levy, Burning Spear, Peter Tosh, Eek-a-Mouse, etc.

Also, I study to Galactic, Air, Jack Johnson, Donavon Frankenreiter, Medeski Martin & Wood, and The Meters.

Abulcasis

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
That's why I listen to Korean music because if I listened to English songs, it would just me mess up too.

It helps if you can't understand.

About the Ads

dr zaius

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
American, F*** Yeah from the Team American soundtrack.

Also, MC Chris.

What up doc

FLASH
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
WEEZY F. BABY...please say da "baby"!

Abulcasis

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Baby

...?

pazan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
There's a station on itunes radio, in the electronica section, called "Philosomatika." Everyone should try studying to house/techno (not eurotrash, but fast, rhythmic beats)... I credit the music for my MCAT score.

Abulcasis

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
There's a station on itunes radio, in the electronica section, called "Philosomatika." Everyone should try studying to house/techno (not eurotrash, but fast, rhythmic beats)... I credit the music for my MCAT score.
I will try that out, definitely.

Gotta love Apple though. Presently, I have a straight crush on Steve Jobs.

bennnythejet

once is nonce
10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2008
Northern New Jersey
Status
Pre-Medical
Mostly post-rock (GY!BE and Explosions as mentioned, plus A Silver Mt. Zion, This Will Destroy You, Do Make Say Think, Clogs, Set Fire to Flames, Esmerine, Annoice etc)

Also, some electronic (Four Tet, The Field, Apparat)

Abulcasis

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
About the Ads

bennnythejet

once is nonce
10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2008
Northern New Jersey
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, the MCAT will.

But doesn't any type of rock become distracting while studying?
trust me, that stuff is very likely to motivate you. post-rock is more like classical music with rock instrumentation.

sometimes i used to listen to the theme from "last of the mohicans" before practice tests.

the antihero

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I remember reading an interview with the founders of one of the top internet website - I think it was the guy that created amazon.com

anyways, he said that when he is doing intensive brainstorming and such he listens to classical, japenese ska, movie scores/soundtracks, and german rock. Basically any music that isn't in english or is an instrumental. This apparently helps stimulate brain activity and because your brain doesn't understand the language it beocmes background music. This is true for me cause if I'm listening to music while I study it's usually cosmic gate or rammstein.

Abulcasis

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I remember reading an interview with the founders of one of the top internet website - I think it was the guy that created amazon.com

anyways, he said that when he is doing intensive brainstorming and such he listens to classical, japenese ska, movie scores/soundtracks, and german rock. Basically any music that isn't in english or is an instrumental. This apparently helps stimulate brain activity and because your brain doesn't understand the language it beocmes background music. This is true for me cause if I'm listening to music while I study it's usually cosmic gate or rammstein.
I guess that does make sense. I can't understand Korean or foreign music, so it's much better to study under that.

variablistic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I like any kind of noise while studying or working. Lyrics don't bug me. Interestingly, I'm currently listening to the song where my signature came from.

Le Rendezvous

Medical Gear Solid
Oct 25, 2009
Ohio
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Can anyone recommend some decent classical music to study to? Something relaxing, but with a little energy to keep me awake?

Caesar

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2007
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
I like Owl City / The Postal Service sometimes.

Soundtracks sometimes as well (LOTR, Harry Potter, and the like).

Classical on a whim sometimes.

I like pop music, but it's hard to listen to and study. sometimes I listen to albums the first time while studying, before I know the words. My most recent ones were Paramore and A Rocket To The Moon

BBender716

Med school drop out!
10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2009
Illinoisville
Status
Non-Student
Can anyone recommend some decent classical music to study to? Something relaxing, but with a little energy to keep me awake?
Mahler's 5th, most Chopin, Debussy, and Ravel... relaxing yet can provide some energy and very interesting classical music without getting downright weird a la Penderecki.

Oct 17, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I agree Instrumental music is best. I really like Jon Schmidt. Currently, this fuels my intellect as I burn the midnight oil. Its Love story mixed with viva la vida, no words just a piano, a cello and pure brilliance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXtVBJDPs6k

Zona Pellucida

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
i listen to some good trance while studying...no lyrics, the tunes are amazing, and they are very upbeat... been doing that for a few years now...
:thumbup: Which artists?

D

DRIN

Yeah, anything with lyrics is just too distracting to me...like others have said, I don't mind some classical music in the background.

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Pandora --> Industrial

Ballwera

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
Cincinnati
Status
Pre-Medical
Study mode is pandora station with, jack johnson, john mayer and dave matthew's, 5 min before test def all that remains atreyu or bullet to get me pumped for the test haha

About the Ads