Musical Activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FSUseminoleEM1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone -

So, if an individual (i.e. myself) plays multiple instruments, do they need to be entered individually or collectively as one activity/hobby in AMCAS?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone -

So, if an individual (i.e. myself) plays multiple instruments, do they need to be entered individually or collectively as one activity/hobby in AMCAS?

Thanks in advance!

I would enter them in as one activity.

Hey everyone -

Thanks in advance!

I would list each instrument as a separate activity, making sure to make separate bullet points for each style of music you are able to play with each instrument, as well as for each individual instrument you own. If you play the same instrument in different tunings, you should explicitly list that as well. For instance, adcoms will want to know if you play rock guitar on your Telecaster in drop-D vs. playing blues on your Les Paul in standard tuning.

Whatever you do, do NOT list that you play blues piano-- adcoms will think you only want to be like House and will recognize your medical school aspirations as superficial.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would list each instrument as a separate activity, making sure to make separate bullet points for each style of music you are able to play with each instrument, as well as for each individual instrument you own. If you play the same instrument in different tunings, you should explicitly list that as well. For instance, adcoms will want to know if you play rock guitar on your Telecaster in drop-D vs. playing blues on your Les Paul in standard tuning.

Whatever you do, do NOT list that you play blues piano-- adcoms will think you only want to be like House and will recognize your medical school aspirations as superficial.

Couldn't have said it better myself.