Musical Instrument

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a sophomore in college.
I started playing the sax since elementary and played thru HS (band etc) but stopped taking lessons in HS bc they were getting expensive.
I play it has a hobby now (no competitions or anything like that)...although it would be great to get involved again. Does playing an instrument as a hobby still count as an extracurricular? I still love playing it.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently a sophomore in college.
I started playing the sax since elementary and played thru HS (band etc) but stopped taking lessons in HS bc they were getting expensive.
I play it has a hobby now (no competitions or anything like that)...although it would be great to get involved again. Does playing an instrument as a hobby still count as an extracurricular? I still love playing it.

absolutely.

put it under artistic endeavors (sounds more formal than "hobby").

but do be aware that many people put musical instruments on their apps, and many of them are quite/very accomplished and involved (performing in college, awards, etc.)

Yeah why shouldn't it. Learn how to improvise, join/start jazz combo...profit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah why shouldn't it. Learn how to improvise, join/start jazz combo...profit?

^THIS

OP, instead of putting "playing an instrument during your off-time just for personal enjoyment", figure out if you can take this endeavor and expand upon it.

like DerpStore said, considering joining/forming a band that performs for charities/raises money, join a college band, or figure out a way to benefit someone else (directly or indirectly) with your talents. THAT will be impressive.

I joined a community band (65+ piece wind ensemble) after I graduated and we play all over the place. We play for retirement homes, free concerts in the park, benefit concerts for specific charities, adult band contests, etc. Doing something like that I think shows a bit more commitment as it's clearly an official gig.

Joining your college concert band or wind symphony may also be an option along with your school's marching band/pep band.

I always wished I could have joined the volleyball band at my school. Free seats at all the vball games, and if they move on to nationals you get to come with!

^THIS

OP, instead of putting "playing an instrument during your off-time just for personal enjoyment", figure out if you can take this endeavor and expand upon it.

like DerpStore said, considering joining/forming a band that performs for charities/raises money, join a college band, or figure out a way to benefit someone else (directly or indirectly) with your talents. THAT will be impressive.

Lol...no need to take a simple hobby and turn it into some world-saving philanthropic endeavor. Nothing wrong with doing something just because you enjoy it.

If you really WANT to save the world with your saxophone, then by all means....but if you just want medical schools to like you...

I listed a handful of hobbies on my app, and listed them just as that....hobbies. Nothing wrong with coming off as a human as opposed to a robot

Good grief!

Play when you feel like it because it makes you feel good. Express your love of Sax on your application. It doesn't have to be a group thing, or an organized activity. Adcoms like to see people who have things that they do just for fun, to unwind or to express their creative side.

I actually had too many activities on my AMCAS to include playing the viola but my interviewers were really into it when I talked about it - specially when they'd ask "Anything else that we should know about you?" or "What else do you do for fun?" I also included some of my experiences playing as part of a couple of 2ries. The sax is beautiful :)