Musician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WantsThisBad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think the fact that I'm an accomplished musician who has played on several albums and played countless live shows will help my application? Is anyone else on here in the same boat? Did you talk about it at your interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

WantsThisBad said:
Do you think the fact that I'm an accomplished musician who has played on several albums and played countless live shows will help my application? Is anyone else on here in the same boat? Did you talk about it at your interviews?

It will definitely help if you have also shown a dedication to medicine and have the stats to get your foot in the door.

I don't see why it wouldn't help, it'll make you interesting, show you're dedicated to something. When I had my committee interview, all the members were talking about how they think there's a close link between music ability and science ability. I think music training is great, it teaches you discipline which will help no matter what you do. And for what it's worth, I consider myself a musician even though I haven't been on any albums. But I was in the pit band for several musicals put on by my ultra competitive artsy fartsy high school, and I did play Carnegie Hall once, so I think it's an accomplishment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I put that I was a musician on my application as well. I think it's cool and fun, but maybe I can emphasize the dedication it takes for practice, shows, recording, etc. I don't want to give them the idea that I'd rather be a rockstar... though that's always a good backup :laugh:

I'm a self-taught musician (I've played guitar for 13 years) and recorded two albums completely on my own. I put it on my AMCAS, and it did come up one or two times, and only in a positive light. :)

I'm a musician but I play a fairly uncommon Indian classical instrument. In college, it's been really difficult to keep up with it, although I do practice once in a while and have played in a couple of live concerts while I was in college; however, given the rarity of my instrument it's been difficult to keep up with, and I'm not as yet in any kind of musical groups or orchestras or the like. I'm a little worried as to how I can show my sincere interest in music, and not make it sound like I'm padding my app with things I did more in high school.. if I haven't done anything really major in college, like be part of an active musical group, is it risky to put that on an application?

Thanks in advance!

WantsThisBad said:

I toured with my rock band for two years after college, although I can't really point to much that I have "accomplished." Besides rocking the @#$% out, of course. I put it on my application, although not in those terms, if only to explain that I didn't disappear for that time. I'm a bit nervous about getting a "square" interviewer who thinks it's silly, or who thinks I'd rather be a rockstar than a physician-scientist-star. But the flip side is that scientists have shown that most human beings like music, and like talking about it. Finding some favorite songs in common and then moving on is a great way to set up a good vibe for the interview, or, as the kids wearing the bowties say, "establish rapport."

I'm a music major, and all my professors in the music department have told me that being involved with music looks great on paper, because it takes so much work to become an accomplished musician.

Believe me, it takes a lot of dedication to practice 2-4 hours a day, I did it half of my high school years. But all in all being a good musician will pay off in some way at some point in your life.

ChymeChancellor said:
It will definitely help if you have also shown a dedication to medicine and have the stats to get your foot in the door.

Useful response? I think not.

I think its a great example of your passion for something interesting and a demonstration of your ability to get things done. It helps make your application interesting which is important i would think given the sheer #'s of applications that do little to differentiate themselves. Alone it won't get you in, but if you're a decent applicant otherwise then it could certainly help. good luck.

WantsThisBad said:
Useful response? I think not.

why wasn't it helpful? all he was saying is that it is helpful to have something unique about you but you still need the gpa/mcat to get in...

laurenem said:
why wasn't it helpful? all he was saying is that it is helpful to have something unique about you but you still need the gpa/mcat to get in...

Because every ***** on here knows that you need to show dedication to medicine and have good grades to get in. Thats not what I was asking. I was asking about others who put it on their app. and what kind of reaction they got. I got plenty of good replys. Thanks to those with helpful responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its good to show that you have other interests and aren't one of those people who were like "ZOMG IM SO PREMED I CANT DO ANYTHING NONMEDICAL." Some secondaries ask you to address how you can help diversify their student body. Music will def make you look great.

LyraBelacqua said:
I toured with my rock band for two years after college, although I can't really point to much that I have "accomplished." Besides rocking the @#$% out, of course. I put it on my application, although not in those terms, if only to explain that I didn't disappear for that time. I'm a bit nervous about getting a "square" interviewer who thinks it's silly, or who thinks I'd rather be a rockstar than a physician-scientist-star. But the flip side is that scientists have shown that most human beings like music, and like talking about it. Finding some favorite songs in common and then moving on is a great way to set up a good vibe for the interview, or, as the kids wearing the bowties say, "establish rapport."
I doubt you'll run into too many issues with that. The chair of our physics department paid his way through college touring in a rock band (albeit in the 60s but still), and just about every physics prof in the dept plays an instrument. They even have a 60s rock band that gets gigs outside of school every once in awhile (benefits, class reunions, etc).

i'm a pianist and have given numerous recitals in high school and college...i have also sung in professional choirs that tour and record. at one of my yale med interviews, that's all the interviewer wanted to talk about! it came up in a good way in at least 50% of my interviews...definitely put it on your app! good luck!

I am very musical. I started composing and playing the piano when I was eight and the Seattle Symphony played a piece of mine in the eight grade. In high school I even considered going to some music conservatory like Julliard or Oberlin, but eventually had other interests.

Since I am not a music major (I studied college level music theory in high school at a music conservatory intended to prepare students for Julliard ect) so have not been involved musically. However, I still perform and compose/arrange for church functions (plan to continue). Ive also taught piano using my own "book" for over a year.

Another doc in the clinic where my family doc practices was a music major in undergrad, just throwing that out.

I think your musicality is a valuable asset to your application. Bring the most out of it.

WantsThisBad said:
Because every ***** on here knows that you need to show dedication to medicine and have good grades to get in. Thats not what I was asking. I was asking about others who put it on their app. and what kind of reaction they got. I got plenty of good replys. Thanks to those with helpful responses.

You could have just ignored it if you didn't think it was pertinent instead of making a big deal about it...

As diverse as my medical school class is, there are A LOT of musicians in my class, and the majority are singers. The faculty suggested that we start an a capella group.

A lot of the students are also attracted to the School of music associated with my school, where many med students can take electives.

I'm sorry, but i have to speak up. Is anyone getting tired of threads like these? I remember people with the same attitude for getting into undergrad, but now it's stale and old for the med school process to see posted "I do X, Y, and Z incredibly well/better than everyone else/am the only one to do it ever. Do you think it will guarantee me to get me into medical school?"

Of course it won't. It won't hurt, but it won't make up for a 22 MCAT...

I'm sorry, but i have to speak up. Is anyone getting tired of threads like these? I remember people with the same attitude for getting into undergrad, but now it's stale and old for the med school process to see posted "I do X, Y, and Z incredibly well/better than everyone else/am the only one to do it ever. Do you think it will guarantee me to get me into medical school?"

The OP never mentioned anything about music guaranteeing him/her a spot in med school. Calm down. Just because you're probably a terrible singer or can't play an instrument to save your life doesn't mean you have to try to belittle those that do and make their talents seem unimportant.

The OP never mentioned anything about music guaranteeing him/her a spot in med school. Calm down. Just because you're probably a terrible singer or can't play an instrument to save your life doesn't mean you have to try to belittle those that do and make their talents seem unimportant.

Yikes, didn't want to make it personal. But today alone there have been posts about such and such research experience, such and such clinical experience, and then this. I don't get what the point of posting a list of your ECs and then asking if people on SDN think it is good is meant to actually gain in the ap process?

And incidentally, I've been in and out of choral conservatories since age 8...

yeah I agree. I sang in a kickarse riot grrl band and all so i'm not waxing jealous, but, what exactly are people looking to get out of these threads? "yes, you are guarenteed a spot" "no, med schools hate musicians with a passion". blah blah blah, everyone on here is wonderful...:sleep:

You could have just ignored it if you didn't think it was pertinent instead of making a big deal about it...

Glorius! I have a birth mark on my knee that looks like a cello! How much will this increase my chances if I center my PS around it?

Glorius! I have a birth mark on my knee that looks like a cello! How much will this increase my chances if I center my PS around it?

Oh, you are guaranteed at least an interview at every school you apply to. I'm sure you also get 12 extra points added onto your MCAT score.
;)

Oh, you are guaranteed at least an interview at every school you apply to. I'm sure you also get 12 extra points added onto your MCAT score.
;)

Well I would think so! Was this comment helpful? I think not. I was looking for responses from other people with a cello birthmark on their knee. That is all.

i make beats and sell or collab with local artists for the hell of it...i wonder if can put that on my app? haha...this hobby requires a lot of money/time

I have a music major and psych undergrad...

I was doing some research for a paper about two years ago and came across the statistic that music majors are the most likely group of undergrads to get admitted to med school.

Found it quite interesting... maybe it's the diversity thing, or the fact that the music curriculum is like training for M1, just in a different field? My fellow music majors agree??

I have a music major and psych undergrad...

I was doing some research for a paper about two years ago and came across the statistic that music majors are the most likely group of undergrads to get admitted to med school.

Found it quite interesting... maybe it's the diversity thing, or the fact that the music curriculum is like training for M1, just in a different field? My fellow music majors agree??

I'll bet it's that music majors who are pre-med are probably some of the most driven people out there (my music major friends are some of the busiest people I know - can't imagine balancing that with Organic Chemistry). So when they apply, they know what they're doing and have a great record, whereas there are a ton of random Bio majors who just "give it a shot" and apply to med school.

I think I've read that Math majors are the most succesfull in gaining admission?

But again, statistics in this process are pretty crazy to rely on as there are 8 million confounding factors.