Must books and websites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nofear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellows i switched into PMR this year and am not sure what books to have for the start of next year. I saw a a thread about books but everyone names 10 different books, so can someone name the 2-3 books that are must haves in PMR. Also anygood websited, (like emedicine, uptodate..that are there for PMR)? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There are so many books because our field is so broad. You will have texts dealing with stroke, spinal cord injury, EMG, sports medicine, etc. We're also opinionated...so there.

But in an attempt to answer your question, knowing it will stir debate:

Comprehensive PM&R: Braddom OR DeLisa
Review: PM&R Secrets OR Cuccurullo
Physical Exam: Hoppenfeld OR Magee
Coat pocket: Choi's Pocketpedia

I would also add Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care (now 3rd ed.), but you won't need it as much until 3rd year or when doing outpt rotations.

Hoppenfeld's "Physical Examination of the Spine & Extremities" is an excellent PE book. Also his "Orthopedic Neurology" is really helpful for learning SCI levels. Along the same lines, Hollinshead's "Functional Anatomy of the Limbs and Back" was quite helpful to me during residency (back in the dark ages...)

Choi's book is good, but you might need a magnifying glass. I also like Tan's "Practical Manual of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation."

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with Ludicolo. here's my specific picks though.

Review: PM&R Secrets AND Cuccurullo

i agree with Ludicolo. here's my specific picks though.

Review: PM&R Secrets AND Cuccurullo

I purchased those exact books. I also purchased easy EMG (looks ok) and Injection Techniques in Orthopedic and Sports Medicine (GREAT BOOK). I also agree that Essentials of Musculoskeletal care is very good. I got a copy for free from the ortho group in town when I rotated with them. I had an attending with the book Anatomical Guide For The Electromyographer: The Limbs And Trunk. It looked pretty cool but I don't have it.

Did anyone purchase Slipman's Interventional Spine? Is it any good? Is there a better book?

Any great books for learning to read ortho X-rays?

Any great books for learning to read ortho X-rays?
Now we're moving away from the OP's question. But that's ok.

I'm a fan of the Radiology Requisite series: Musculoskeletal Imaging by Manaster. Neuroradiology by Grossman is also good. But admittedly I didn't buy these until after residency (cost being the main consideration). Most of the radiology I learned was "on the job" training.

Agree that Essentials of musculoskeletal care is an eventual must have.

From the EMG standpoint:
Comprehensive: Dumitru (including the CD)
Anatomy guide: Perotto (what TRAMD referenced). A. Arturo Leis's book is not bad either.

Neuro: Aids to the PNS and pocket guide to DeJong's Neurologic exam
MSK: MSK physical exam by Malanga and Nadler

For EMGs, EASY EMG is a good starter book. EMG in Clinical Practice is also really good for more depth, and it's easier to read that some of the other textbooks.