Must do things in a gap year before dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigbutrealdreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you guys spending your gap year? Relaxing? Working?

How can I have a fulfilling, enriching time?

Any advice on literature to read?

I would like to use this time to grow as a person.

Thank you =)

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what you consider fulfilling and enriching! I've always found free health clinic volunteering and dental assisting to be fulfilling. Also, keeping active in the gym. I'm doing those and my other 40 hr/week job prior to traveling for a few months. I'm going to do WWOOF to travel. It's worth looking into!

As for literature, I'm a big fan of Charles Bukowski. I just read "The Last Night of the Earth Poems" again. Another good read is "When Breath Becomes Air" by Paul Kalanithi. It's about a neurosurgery resident who got diagnosed with cancer and passed away before finishing residency. I met him before he wrote the book, so it was very impactful to read for me. Highly recommend reading it to anyone, especially those interested in medicine/dentistry.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on what you consider fulfilling and enriching! I've always found free health clinic volunteering and dental assisting to be fulfilling. Also, keeping active in the gym. I'm doing those and my other 40 hr/week job prior to traveling for a few months. I'm going to do WWOOF to travel. It's worth looking into!

As for literature, I'm a big fan of Charles Bukowski. I just read "The Last Night of the Earth Poems" again. Another good read is "When Breath Becomes Air" by Paul Kalanithi. It's about a neurosurgery resident who got diagnosed with cancer and passed away before finishing residency. I met him before he wrote the book, so it was very impactful to read for me. Highly recommend reading it to anyone, especially those interested in medicine/dentistry.
Thank you for sharing! I appreciate your input! I find the same things you listed fulfilling. I will look into the literature you suggested. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm spending my gap year working as much as possible before dental school. It's important to relax and stay sane, but I need a schedule to keep on track. As far as literature, I recently read Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead and loved them both. I have also been on a massive Stephen King binge (LOL).

Reactions: 1 user
I'm spending my gap year working as much as possible before dental school. It's important to relax and stay sane, but I need a schedule to keep on track. As far as literature, I recently read Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead and loved them both. I have also been on a massive Stephen King binge (LOL).
Thanks Patrick
With love,
Sponge Bob

Pick up swoleology. Do a lot of back and core exercises. Date a masseuse.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm getting my gym and eating game right, because I think improving from a state of suboptimal fitness is going to be very difficult once I'm in school.

Reactions: 1 users
I highly recommend reading Wool. It's a sci-fi by the way.

P.s. I read it for free of overdrive app, if you become a member at your public library there are ton of books that you can borrow and read on that app

Wool