Must Get BRS Books for Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podgi237

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard good things about the BRS Physio, Path, and First Aid books. Any worth adding/removing from this list?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't like BRS path all that much since it lacks pictures from what I recall and pictures are important in pathology.

I didn't like BRS path all that much since it lacks pictures from what I recall and pictures are important in pathology.

i agree. Some of my friends read BRS path but i personally found it too detailed and kind of boring... I ended up just reading about 2 chapters or so and gave up. For path I recommend goljan RR instead and listen to his audio lectures. BRS physio is amazing. You won't go wrong in reading that book. I've seen significant improvement on my UW/NBME forms since I read it.

The new BRS path has beautiful color pictures (albeit not as much as Goljan). The chapters are also only around 5-9 pages so you can bang out a quick overview of the system you're gonna study in a few minutes whereas Goljan you're stuck in bloody details about rare diseases that probably won't show up on your test.

BRS also has these "keys" next to certain statements in which they feel are most important and should be stressed during studying.

Disclaimer: I used both Goljan and BRS. I think they both serve a purpose.

I used BRS during my entire second year and it has notes from RR Path and Goljan Audios. This is going to be my main study source (along with FA) for pathology. If you are trying to hit BRS from the begginning for board prep, well... good luck with that!