'Must have' books for a new pod

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UW66

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy gang,

title says it all. To all those who made it through 4 years of podschool, what books did you pick up along the way that you wish you would have had from day one?

This applies to classes, labs, clinical manuals, board reviews and anything inbetween.

If ya have some titles that arent necessarily a 'must have', how about highly recommended?

Thanks fellas

Members don't see this ad.

UW66,
Great question, I'm a fellow pre-pod and can only toss this link in the hat...this is probably only partially relevant to your question but has some good info in it.
I am also interested in what students recommended during school as well.

ePodiatry.com's recommended book list: http://www.epodiatry.com/Book_list.htm
It's pretty helpful as it has book recommendations by category.

I'd say that my personal "essentials" and best values were/are the following:

Basic Sciences
-Anat atlas (I liked Netter for gross and then McMinn, Thieme, and class notes for LEA)
-BRS Physiology
-BRS Pathology
-Clinical Microbiology Made Rediculously Simple

Clinical
-Master Techniques in Podiatric Surgery (Chang)
-Pocket Podiatrics (Watkins)
-PI Manual (Malay)
-UPenn Presby manual
-classic and current literature (JFAS, FAI, JBJS, JAPMA, Clin Pod Med, Clin Ortho, F&A Clinics, etc)
-Maxwell Pocket Medicine and Tarscon Pocket Pharmacopoeia (for white coat pockets)

...McGlamry's Foot and Ankle Surgery is great but I'd wait a couple years for a new edition if you are gonna buy the big expensive 2 volume set; until then, you can and probably should, pick up the Forefoot version right now for about $50-60 used.

Some of the ortho texts are also pretty solid, but many of them are more trauma oriented and pretty skimpy on forefoot procedures. Myerson has a couple good books, Sig Hansen, Coughlin, Mueller AO, etc. These are probably better reading once you have already read the pod texts (since that's what most of your attendings will have read and be asking questions from).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
right on, thanks very much for your reply feli.

Do you know the exact title for the Netter one bc I see a couple different ones available. I am not sure which one to get. Thanks!

is it the 4th edition of human anatomy? thanks

is it the 4th edition of human anatomy? thanks
Yes, but just to save you some $, all of the paperback editions are basically the same. If you can find an older 2nd or 3rd edition in new condition, I'd just buy that instead.

Netter passed away circa 1990, so they all have the same pictures (the book is all prints of his anatomic oil paintings). The newer versions have a few XR pics or some stuff added, but you can learn just fine from any of them. As with any book, you might want to avoid the first edition, though... that might have some spelling or structure label errors that were corrected in subsequent revisions.

Feli--

-BRS Physiology
-BRS Pathology

These are books you found useful for your phys and path classes?

Are these not aimed at board reviewing?

....and to quote the Stafocker character in a post he made many months ago pretaining to board review books

"BUY A USMLE BOOK! especially in the beginning of your 2nd year! Any of these books will give you a heads up on what's to come during 2nd year classes - Path, Pharm, Micro, etc. It's all you'll need for the boards come July at the end of your 2nd year.. that review packet they give you is CRAP! Seriously, if you know the USMLE books backward and forward, you'll see how easy the BOARDs are. Recommendations: First Aid for the USMLE, Step Up. Stay away from: Board Review Series (waste of time, only an outline, worthless)"

If you used those BRS books for reviewing, did you think they were adequate? What are your opinions on the First Aid and Step Up USMLE books?

Thanks for your input mate.

Feli--

-BRS Physiology
-BRS Pathology

These are books you found useful for your phys and path classes?

Are these not aimed at board reviewing?...
They are concise and focused for boards (so just the most important concepts), but they certainly help during the courses too. Physio BRS and the prof notes is all I used to get A grades both sememsters. For path, you certainly still need the big Robbins text, but the BRS is a very nice resource.

I don't think I'm alone in those opinions; those two titles are generally regarded as the best of the BRS series if you read reviews online... or the book reviews listed at the end of First Aid.

so i should really buy a netters before school starts??

do we have enough time when school starts to order used books online or not?