must have's for 1st day of residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrNick2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are everyone's opinions of what to carry on the first day of internship? This is my list please feel free to add, also, what PDA programs does everyone think are interesting.

Ferri's guide to the Medical Patient
Pocket Pharmacopea
Sanford Guide

Members don't see this ad.

I love :love: my epocrates, and will probably renew it (and add the CMDT component to it) before I start this summer. :D

p.s. does anyone have any suggestions for SMALL FLIP smartphones? I have the Kyocera 7135 and want something smaller... but still functionally sound... thanks!

DrNick2006 said:
What are everyone's opinions of what to carry on the first day of internship? This is my list please feel free to add, also, what PDA programs does everyone think are interesting.

Ferri's guide to the Medical Patient
Pocket Pharmacopea
Sanford Guide
I have 5 Minute Consult and Dorland's on my PDA. I'm going to carry a pocket Medicine: a Current Clinical Strategies medical book and maybe a few others.

Members don't see this ad :)
ePocrates and Hopkins abx guide on my Palm, Ferri's Guide to Medical Patient in my backpack, beer and xanax in my stomach. :)

Mumpu said:
ePocrates and Hopkins abx guide on my Palm, Ferri's Guide to Medical Patient in my backpack, beer and xanax in my stomach. :)
Nice :laugh: I will substitute Pepto, Prilosec, Immodium and propranolol for the beer and xanax.

Loopo Henle said:
Nice :laugh: I will substitute Pepto, Prilosec, Immodium and propranolol for the beer and xanax.
Vodka and benzos! :love:

Benzo4every1 said:
Vodka and benzos! :love:

Day #1 of residency: Day #1 on the dialysis machine
Awesome :thumbup:

Don't forget your stethoscope. :thumbup:

Actually the most important thing to bring is yourself!!! Seriously, it will all be just a memory in just a few short months. You won't even remember what that first day was really like.... it'll all be just a blur. Good luck to you.

one set of diapers, an albuterol inhaler (but a brown bag will do), cell phone with mom's number on speed dial, and a small piece of candy when you become hypoglycemic. no really, you need that stuff...no one tells you about it.

ok, fine...just bring you a$$ to work with a pharmacopia and stethoscope. the rest will fall into place. do NOT panic.

yeah...all that stuff plus a schematic of the hospital with all the exits mapped out...never know when you'll need to make a break for it.

is there REALLY a need to bring EVERYTHING in the worls, which essentially say the SAME damn thing, but in a different way.....

all you really need are: palm and a few "books"....less is more!!

1) epocretes (sp?): on you palm
2) hopkins abx guide on palm OR pharmacopeia (something having to do w/ drugs)
3) the harvard/mass gen. book (you know, the one with the blue cover.....can't think of it right now)...to help with admits and general management of pt
4) diagnosaurus (great for differntials and stuff....it's FREE :love: :love: ...and its on your palm....but you can get away w/ it if you have the upgraded epocretes)
5) Ferri's or some other pocketbook of your choice....JUST as backup AND something you can read before the resident/attending starts pimping on you
6) and of course, the stethescope

Basically, you want something for the admissions, management, pharmacology aspects, and something "extra" for the pimping stuff...True?

Bring your pager. Bring a pen, preferably black. Don't worry about the rest. You can beg/borrow/steal pretty much any handbook, guidebook, textbook from someone when you need to. Or just load as much as you can onto your handheld. But avoid the temptation to overload your coat with "useful" stuff.

Bobblehead said:
But avoid the temptation to overload your coat with "useful" stuff.

atleast someone understands.... :laugh: :laugh:

So Inow 'm back to whether I bring my tuning fork with me or not! :D

def forget the tuning fork, if u find yourself using it the first day, u have too much time on ur hands. haha ;)

Bobblehead said:
Bring your pager. Bring a pen, preferably black. Don't worry about the rest. You can beg/borrow/steal pretty much any handbook, guidebook, textbook from someone when you need to. Or just load as much as you can onto your handheld. But avoid the temptation to overload your coat with "useful" stuff.
I agree, less is more when it comes to internship. I spent most of the year with only my pen, pager, and palm on me. Everything else I would bum off some paranoid, armed-to-the-teeth intern, of which there were many. The only time I would carry a sthethescope and penlight were on admission days or when rounding. I eliminated the reflex hammer by learning how to percuss *really* hard with my fingers. It works!

Every intern should have a stethescope, pen, reflex hammer, otoscope, opthalmascope, pager, sphignomanometer, tuning fork, measuring tape, microfilament, CPR bag mask, harrisons, sanford guide, Ferri's, and defibrillator in the backpack.

:laugh:

i use my stethescope as a reflex hammer.

powermd said:
I eliminated the reflex hammer by learning how to percuss *really* hard with my fingers. It works!

Dr Nick, how could you forget the anoscope? Tsk tsk.

gwen said:
i use my stethescope as a reflex hammer.

A nice way to screw up the rim of ur steth. The rubber/plastic rim will break after some time. Seen that happen a lot :D