This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted674723

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
To keep things brief, I cannot stand doing research. I have been screwed multiple times by project leaders misleading me or outright lying about projects. I am very much over putting in endless hours of busy work to have it amount to nothing. I'd rather not continue stressing over it if possible. I want to match dermatology and want to know if what I have is enough so far. Thanks!

260 step
Only have 2 rotations done. One high pass, one honors. Preclinical is P/F
Top 5 school
Handful of extracurriculars and leadership positions in surgical interest groups
4 publications not in dermatology. One first author, two presented myself at national meetings.

I imagine I need at least one good project in derm, but how little can I get away with?

That's the wrong attitude to take. You want to find a PI you can trust and get along with. You want to do research and be enthusiastic about it so you'll have something to talk about at interviews. You want to get publications. And even if you don't, you want a good letter of recommendation from your PI. I don't have definitive proof but as an applicant with below average stats, I am fairly certain my PI made a call and got me ranked to match with the residency program I ultimately wound up at.

How little can you get away with? Your stats are good enough where you can choose to skip research if you'd like. But there are no guarantees in dermatology. Is the thought of doing more research more repulsive than the risk of not matching?

Going to a top 5 school means you will match somewhere barring a huge red flag. But you better be able to hide your sense of entitlement when you interview. Everyone knows that derm is a pretty cushy gig. With that said most programs tend to be very over the top with how much research and reading they expect you to do. They are looking for the applicants that love the field of Dermatology and not the lifestyle. By taking no intitiative or demonstrating any real interest in the field, you are the antithesis of what they want.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with research (sounds similar to an opening line when confronted with a disgruntled patient, lol).

We don't know the specifics, but a lot of times research doesn't go as planned. I have a PhD and have worked on a multitude of projects. I'd say about 25% work out as planned. It's not because I suck....that's pretty much across the board for people.

The PIs may be thinking to themselves "If that damn student worked harder or knew what to do, this would have been published". Who knows?

Maybe you were really lied to for some reason. There are some craptastic people/researchers out there.

For sure, adjust the attitude about it. If you discuss it at interviews, frame it as : "I started several projects, but for various reasons, they didn't work out as planned and we didn't get anything productive/publishable out of it"

We all know that projects don't work out. Expressing any animosity toward a PI will make us think you'll have that attitude with us as attendings (I'm so over going to Dr. Derm's lectures, he just presents these useless kodas that are a waste of time).

Anyway, I think your stats are good. If you truly dislike research that much, try to at least get a case report or two before you apply. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice. I suppose the PI's I worked with were just as disappointed as I was in the past. They just seem so busy and distracted that it seems difficult to find anyone who can commit to something. I think proving that I can have a productive relationship with a PI is important after your comment so I will make that a priority. Thanks again.

That's a pretty good assessment of how things go. I can tell you that it was a constant struggle for me to get a response from people during med school research. It's like this: email, wait about a week. Decide if emailing again is bothersome. Decide it is. Wait another week or two. Email again. Sometimes get a response, sometimes not.

I did have a not so optimal experience in med school. The PI thought I didn't go a very good job, but the PI was so difficult to get in contact with and I had emails MONTHS old asking important things that they never got back to me about.

So I hear ya...it just sounds like you had several of those types of experiences in a row. The best advice I can give is to ask around and see who has done research in the past with a PI who is more responsive and try to work with that individual.