? Must Psychiatry board certification be in same state as residency?

skybliss

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 11, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I am entering medical school, and I am very likely to study psychiatry. After residency, I would like to go into private practice eventually.

Question is, does my private practice have to be in the same state that I did my residency? I have heard that board certification tends to be in the same state as where the residency was done, but I am not sure this is true.

Reason being, I'm hoping to work in either WA, NV, or FL as I am familiar with these areas, but I have been for a while attracted to doing my residency in the SF area near Palo Alto and Silicon Valley.

thanks for the input =). Couldn't find this info anywhere else online.

colleezfascia

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am entering medical school, and I am very likely to study psychiatry. After residency, I would like to go into private practice eventually.

Question is, does my private practice have to be in the same state that I did my residency? I have heard that board certification tends to be in the same state as where the residency was done, but I am not sure this is true.

Reason being, I'm hoping to work in either WA, NV, or FL as I am familiar with these areas, but I have been for a while attracted to doing my residency in the SF area near Palo Alto and Silicon Valley.

thanks for the input =). Couldn't find this info anywhere else online.
No--you can practice in any state, regardless of where you did your residency. Good luck!:D

skybliss

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 11, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
No--you can practice in any state, regardless of where you did your residency. Good luck!:D
awesome info. Thanks!

How come on some online psychiatry job postings, I see things like "must be certified to practice psychiatry in such and such state". Or does passing boards basically get me certified to practice in every state in the US all at once?

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Left of Center
Status
Attending Physician
awesome info. Thanks!

How come on some online psychiatry job postings, I see things like "must be certified to practice psychiatry in such and such state". Or does passing boards basically get me certified to practice in every state in the US all at once?
Your board certification is not state specific. However, you do need to be able to meet the criteria to hold a medical license in the state in which you practice, and some states may have additional requirements for you to be paneled to receive Medicaid funding for patients in that state.

Sneezing

Even Bears do it!
10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2009
Above Center
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This might help clarify some things for you.

To practice medicine you need to graduate from medical school and do at least one year of graduate medical training (intern year) and passed all of your licensing exams (there are 3).

At this point you are now elgible to apply for an unrestricted medical license. Your licensing exams and training are good for the whole country. However, it is each state that will actually grant you a license. Look here: http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

This is the bare minimum to practice medicine.

If you jump into the real world you then have residencies which extend for several years. At the end of the residency you get a piece of paper saying you completed psychiatry training at University of Coolness. You will then be elgible to sit for board certification exams. Board certification is optional and not needed to practice. However, many insurance companies and government programs won't sign a contract with you if you aren't board certified (you can practice cash only without it if you wished). Hospitals often won't give you admitting or procedural privileges without board certification either (you don't have to practice in a hospital). Board certification is good for the whole country. You pass those exams, you get a certificate(s) and the whole nation recognizes it. You will need to retake the exam every few years to recertify, they will expire.

These contracts with insurance companies and the government are often state/county/hospital/whatever specific. Since this is how most physicians get paid, you then are restricted by their rules. The paperwork to get these contracts take months to process. These contracts and the time/money/effort envolved with state medical licenses are the limiting factors for where physicians will practice.

You can train where you want in the country.

michaelrack

All In at the wrong time
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Memphis TN
Status
Attending Physician
There is some usefulness in doing residency in the state you want to practice- you will become very familiar with the state's committment laws and laws regarding involuntary treatment.

I would imagine that if you do a forensic psychiatry fellowship, it would be very useful to do it in the state you plan on practicing in.

Reactions: GroverPsychMD

skybliss

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 11, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback.

Ya, I eventually want to work in WA, but possibly also Nevada or Florida because they are really good states to start a psychiatry private practice. But as for residency training, I'm seeing that it'll be best not to limit myself to just those 3 states.

Cool beans =)

Reactions: GroverPsychMD