Must Read For Future Doctors!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneStrongBro

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A DOCTOR? Chandler does a good job, below.

Originally posted by chandler742
SOMEONE on here once said, "The answer has to come from within"

He or she hit the nail on the head. I believe the reason so many people ask you this question is because you will INEVITABLY ask yourself this QUESTION MANY, MANY times in med school and as a physician. A DOCTOR'S LIFESTYLE IS VERY LABORIOUS.

In med school, you will ask yourself this question when you are memorizing gross anatomy late into the night, while your friends may be out partying or having fun. I haven't met one person that consider a date with a histology, anatomy, or biochem book on a friday and saturday night FUN!! However, it comes with the territory.

EVEN IF you are very intelligent, medical school is VERY TAXING because MEMORIZING DETAILS is not a function of intelligence. Memorizing is a function of work ethic. This is one reason your ORGANIC CHEMISTRY grade is so important in your application.

One can even argue that being TOO INTELLIGENT is a hinderance because MEMORIZING names of structures may be too boring for the brightest students.

My point is this, it takes a lot of discipline to shun some of the conveniences and liberties that we hold dear. This is where your true motivation will come into play. THE SHEER VOLUME of the material in medical school means YOU WILL HAVE NO LIFE. If you truly want to become a physician for a valid reason you will make sure you study ALL THE TIME.

Moreover, All people aspiring to be physicians hit a WALL sometime in their career whether it be in undergrad, med school, or even as a doctor. They go through soul searching expeditions to ask "WHY DO I WANT TO BE A DOCTOR"

If you answer this question HONESTLY and SUCCESSFULLY than Adversity is a piece of cake.

However, if you were attracted to the artificial fruits of medicine i.e. fancy cars you will be miserable (EVEN AS A physician).

Just remember, PHYSICIANS have one of the highest drug abuse, suicide rate, and divorce rate of all fields.

WHY YOU ASK?

This is because many got what they wished for i.e. they became a DOCTOR.

Guess what? Their motivation wasn't for the right reasons.

Just remember the old adage. Be careful what you wish for BECAUSE IT MAY COME TRUE. In this case, you might be "stuck" in a miserable life as a doctor because your motivation for medicine was ARTIFICIAL.
[/QUOTE

Just remember you can fool EVERYONE during the admissions process. However, you can't LIE to yourself. YOU BETTER BE IN MEDICINE FOR THE RIGHT REASONS OR YOU WILL HAVE A MISERABLE LIFE!!! YOUR MOTIVATION WILL COME FRONT AND CENTER FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE AS A PHYSICIAN.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by OneStrongBro

Just remember you can fool EVERYONE during the admissions process. However, you can't LIE to yourself. YOU BETTER BE IN MEDICINE FOR THE RIGHT REASONS OR YOU WILL HAVE A MISERABLE LIFE!!! YOUR MOTIVATION WILL COME FRONT AND CENTER FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE AS A PHYSICIAN.

Well, I have to disagree with something you said which is the "You can't lie" to yourself part.

I know some people who have lied to themselves for 6 years that they LIKE their profession but after 6 years they finally fessed up of hating it (Engineering). Hence, my utmost respect to non trads who come back to pursue their dream of becoming a doc cuz they KNOW for sure they want to be one.

If someone were to spend 4 years working towards becoming a physician, the self-fibbers will think "I've come this far! I can't stop now, that would mean I've wasted so much time." Other fibbers wouldn't know what to do with their science degrree and MAKE THEMSELVES THINK that they want to be a doctor. The biggest fear is not knowing what you want to do or where you're headed. A false goal is better than none.

Somtimes people like to themselves because they have no other options (time is ticking, all this debt)...and having no other options mean LYING to yourself that you like the memorization.

A miserable life? Yes I agree those who lie to themselves will have a miserable life. I am just glad most of my friends who were pre-meds and decided to drop it to follow their true loves --> being an artist, playing in a band...did so.

I think an important question to ask yourself when applying to medical school is: If I could wake up and do one thing, what would it be? Is this what I really want?

- just my opinion
Stepping off the soap box now:D