1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Must We Shadow?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nero, Aug 24, 2002.

1. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hello, i have not shadowed anybody in college......i did in hs....i have volunteering at a hosptial and working at nursing home as my "clinical experience"...........is this ok, or should i shadow immediately?.......i have other curriculars such as club preisdents, TA, etc.....

thanks

Nero

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pickle Salt

Pickle Salt *curtsies*
    7+ Year Member

i think shadowing is a bit overrated, at least in the application sense. I shadowed my pediatrician for a few weeks last year and have found that it was very beneficial to me personally, but not so much on my application. I have been to four interviews and was never really asked about the experience; they wanted to know more about the labs i've worked in, the clinics I've interned at, etc.

4. loomis

loomis Lifetime Student
    10+ Year Member

i think if you plan on being a practicing doc then it would definitely be a good thing to shadow or volunteer ASAP. If your angle is more research oriented and you've done some research in a lab setting then I think this should be ok.

5. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

The OP said they had volunteer experience. That's enough. Worry about your grades and MCAT score now.

6. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major
    7+ Year Member

I love shadowing!!:love:

7. patient interaction provides experience you can't get in a classroom, or anywhere else. i think med schools know this.