Must We Shadow?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nero, Aug 24, 2002.

1. nero

nero Senior Member

hello, i have not shadowed anybody in college......i did in hs....i have volunteering at a hosptial and working at nursing home as my "clinical experience"...........is this ok, or should i shadow immediately?.......i have other curriculars such as club preisdents, TA, etc.....

thanks

Nero

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pickle Salt

Pickle Salt *curtsies*

i think shadowing is a bit overrated, at least in the application sense. I shadowed my pediatrician for a few weeks last year and have found that it was very beneficial to me personally, but not so much on my application. I have been to four interviews and was never really asked about the experience; they wanted to know more about the labs i've worked in, the clinics I've interned at, etc.

4. loomis

loomis Lifetime Student

i think if you plan on being a practicing doc then it would definitely be a good thing to shadow or volunteer ASAP. If your angle is more research oriented and you've done some research in a lab setting then I think this should be ok.

5. none

none 1K Member

The OP said they had volunteer experience. That's enough. Worry about your grades and MCAT score now.

6. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major

I love shadowing!!:love:

7. patient interaction provides experience you can't get in a classroom, or anywhere else. i think med schools know this.