nero

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2000
Florida
Status
hello, i have not shadowed anybody in college......i did in hs....i have volunteering at a hosptial and working at nursing home as my "clinical experience"...........is this ok, or should i shadow immediately?.......i have other curriculars such as club preisdents, TA, etc.....

thanks

Nero

Pickle Salt

*curtsies*
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2002
TX
Visit site
Status
i think shadowing is a bit overrated, at least in the application sense. I shadowed my pediatrician for a few weeks last year and have found that it was very beneficial to me personally, but not so much on my application. I have been to four interviews and was never really asked about the experience; they wanted to know more about the labs i've worked in, the clinics I've interned at, etc.

loomis

Lifetime Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Status
i think if you plan on being a practicing doc then it would definitely be a good thing to shadow or volunteer ASAP. If your angle is more research oriented and you've done some research in a lab setting then I think this should be ok.

About the Ads

none

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2001
Visit site
Status
The OP said they had volunteer experience. That's enough. Worry about your grades and MCAT score now.

C

CyclinE

patient interaction provides experience you can't get in a classroom, or anywhere else. i think med schools know this.

About the Ads