nero

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2000
Florida
Status
hello, i have not shadowed anybody in college......i did in hs....i have volunteering at a hosptial and working at nursing home as my "clinical experience"...........is this ok, or should i shadow immediately?.......i have other curriculars such as club preisdents, TA, etc.....

thanks

Nero

Pickle Salt

*curtsies*
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2002
TX
Visit site
Status
i think shadowing is a bit overrated, at least in the application sense. I shadowed my pediatrician for a few weeks last year and have found that it was very beneficial to me personally, but not so much on my application. I have been to four interviews and was never really asked about the experience; they wanted to know more about the labs i've worked in, the clinics I've interned at, etc.

loomis

Lifetime Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Status
i think if you plan on being a practicing doc then it would definitely be a good thing to shadow or volunteer ASAP. If your angle is more research oriented and you've done some research in a lab setting then I think this should be ok.

About the Ads

none

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2001
Visit site
Status
The OP said they had volunteer experience. That's enough. Worry about your grades and MCAT score now.

C

CyclinE

patient interaction provides experience you can't get in a classroom, or anywhere else. i think med schools know this.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads