Quantcast

MWU Arizona - Waitlist or Rejected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redhotchiligochu

D3
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wondering for those of you who applied to MWU Arizona, have any of you gotten waitlisted for an interview or outright rejected?

Let me know when you sent your apps and what your stats are. I have 3.4 oGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 21 AA 23 RC, 20 TS, 24 PAT, 1500 hours of community service, 200 hours of dental shadowing, and 5000 hours of employment as a school teacher. AND I GOT WAITLISTED!

dwadeffan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA is low and DAT isn't spectacular either...

pgex2t

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know several people (personally) who have received the waitlisted for interview status last cycle-including myself. That was the last we ever heard from them until rejection. I only know of one waitlisted for interview case (on SDN) where they received an interview (but not acceptance) but they were in-state. They place an importance on gpa, but the overall strength of your application matters as well.

Reactions: 2 users

hodge14

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got waitlisted with 3.4 ogpa, 3.4 sgpa, 4.0 grad gpa (+3 publications), 22 AA, 21 PAT, 26 RC, 20 TS. 1000's of shadowing/dental work hours and community volunteering. I think one of the main reasons is that I'm Canadian (they only interviewed 3 international students last year as per the ADEA handbook). But, as many have said here and in other forums, I feel a waitlist for interview is essentially a rejection.

BTR1208

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You're coming off very entitled. I'm sorry you got wait listed but I didn't bust my ass under unfavorable circumstances, get my interview here and you wonder if they only take lower tier students. No. They take well rounded students. I'm sure there was somewhere lacking on your application that drew a red flag. The 3.1 BCP certainly gives you no room to think you're better than this school and people getting interviews here. Good DAT, slightly below average GPA, poor attitude.

Good luck with the rest of the application cycle but you'll want to adjust your mindset.

Reactions: 6 users

JLT223

DMD
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to dental school admissions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

johndoe777

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You applying to 20 schools and you sweating about 1? Do you honestly expect to get interview from all 20? Just let it go and move on.

Reactions: 1 users

pgex2t

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, this is why I hesitated making an SDN account today and I very rarely lurk on this website... maybe Midwestern knows they are a "backup" school and only want to accept desperate students?

I stalked the school specific forums pretty obsessively last year and from what I can conclude, applicants who were interviewed at this school generally had a substantially higher gpa than I did. I feel like I should just put this out there-but applicants like myself (low gpa high DAT)-we are not extremely attractive applicants on paper (based off stats alone). We may turn a few heads and recieve interviews, sure, but the deciding factor will be the non-numerical aspects of our application as well as our interview performance. In that respect, I was lacking last cycle. I didn't recieve an interview here last cycle because I simply did not make the cut.

frozenicecreamDMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
lol to the OP,

MWU AZ does not accept desperate students. In fact, they save the earliest interviews (the ones happening now) for the best of the best students, who will most likely get accepted to MWU AZ but decide to go elsewhere for the price. Their thinking is when they show these good students the school and the facility, they may fall in love and accept the price. But the price, recently increased to 71k for just tuition and fee from 68k last year, may turn the heads of these accepted students.

The stats of students who get interview now at MWU AZ will blow your mind. They are very very competitive. But MWU AZ wants to improve the reputation so much they just want a few of these good students to attend the school. It is just their strategy.

MWU-AZ is most likely granting interviews on stats-based. as long as you have 3.7 GPA and 21+ DAT, you will be invited for interview as long as your coursework is rigorous. The only thing holding you back is your 3.1 sGPA. this GPA is indeed very low.

I got an interview there at the earliest time and other interviewee's stats just blow my mind. Later on, all of them get multiple offers on Dec1st.

Reactions: 1 user

frozenicecreamDMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
the numbers I put is just my observation from last cycle of interviewing and talking to other interviewees, and also SDN. you can quote these 2 applicants I can quote 20-30 more that meet what I said and received earliest interview at MWU AZ.

but if you come back and read my post again, I clearly say this is just how MWU AZ does to attract some of the best students. of course, being a private and expensive dental school, it has to interview other average dental applicants later, but they don't interview that many average applicants in the earliest interviews ( not saying they NEVER interview any average - above average applicants).

another side note is that since last cycle, MWU AZ tuition just increase to 71k and pushes its total tuition and fees to near 90k a year. As students grow more aware of debt service and debt responsibility, the ones with good stats may shy away from applying to exorbitantly expensive school like MWU AZ. just my speculation.

what I said above is no theory as in I know how MWU AZ selects its interviewees.

what is wrong with SDN users nitpicking each other recently. chill.

johndoe777

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
the numbers I put is just my observation from last cycle of interviewing and talking to other interviewees, and also SDN. you can quote these 2 applicants I can quote 20-30 more that meet what I said and received earliest interview at MWU AZ.

but if you come back and read my post again, I clearly say this is just how MWU AZ does to attract some of the best students. of course, being a private and expensive dental school, it has to interview other average dental applicants later, but they don't interview that many average applicants in the earliest interviews ( not saying they NEVER interview any average - above average applicants).

another side note is that since last cycle, MWU AZ tuition just increase to 71k and pushes its total tuition and fees to near 90k a year. As students grow more aware of debt service and debt responsibility, the ones with good stats may shy away from applying to exorbitantly expensive school like MWU AZ. just my speculation.

what I said above is no theory as in I know how MWU AZ selects its interviewees.

what is wrong with SDN users nitpicking each other recently. chill.

So applicants that interview early here have a very high chance of acceptance?

frozenicecreamDMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So applicants that interview early here have a very high chance of acceptance?

most likely. it comes straight from the dean and clinical dean. the clinical dean basically told everyone to relax since we all would be accepted. and truth is dec 1st rolls around, people I talked with during the interview day and I got accepted. of course there would be 1-2 oddball people out of 20 that didn't get in just because of something they did. but MWU AZ surely accepted a lot of interviewees from like the first 4 interview sessions. However, sad news is like only 50% or less of these accepted students end up enrolling.

you should keep your hope up for cheaper less expensive school and only go to MWU AZ as the last resort. it is a good school that will give you everything you need but that price makes it not worth it.or apply Army/navy HPSP and go to MWU AZ. it will be a killer combination (that is if you can handle military life and lose freedom for 4 years, which is a huge commitment). I didn't realize how huge the 4 year commitment of moving anywhere you are told in the military and leaving your life behind is.

i end up getting into a public school that grant in state after a year so thankfully I don't have to commit to 450k debt.

johndoe777

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
most likely. it comes straight from the dean and clinical dean. the clinical dean basically told everyone to relax since we all would be accepted. and truth is dec 1st rolls around, people I talked with during the interview day and I got accepted. of course there would be 1-2 oddball people out of 20 that didn't get in just because of something they did. but MWU AZ surely accepted a lot of interviewees from like the first 4 interview sessions. However, sad news is like only 50% or less of these accepted students end up enrolling.

you should keep your hope up for cheaper less expensive school and only go to MWU AZ as the last resort. it is a good school that will give you everything you need but that price makes it not worth it.or apply Army/navy HPSP and go to MWU AZ. it will be a killer combination (that is if you can handle military life and lose freedom for 4 years, which is a huge commitment). I didn't realize how huge the 4 year commitment of moving anywhere you are told in the military and leaving your life behind is.

i end up getting into a public school that grant in state after a year so thankfully I don't have to commit to 450k debt.

That good news for me then. I got an interview Sept 6, so I'm hoping what you said is true.

johndoe777

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
isnt that the first interview?

yea good luck. my interview was sept 4th or 6th last year too

Yea that was the first available dates when I sign up.

Thank, hopefully it goes well and lead to an acceptance.

F

fogorvostan

Not to throw everyone's theories off, but I had a 3.51 oGPA, 3.28 sGPA, and 3.14 BCP GPA, applied to MWU AZ in October, invited to interview in Dec, and accepted the first week of January. Obviously this was last year, but my stats weren't that great. 20AA and 19TS.

Edited to add exact GPAs :)

F

fogorvostan

Thank you! Your stats are very similar to mine, other than the oGPA and DAT, so I'm just hoping that my waitlisting is a fluke, despite all the haters and roasters on this thread.
Honestly, the process is so weird. I was rejected almost immediately from Nova last year. I could not for the life of me figure out why, especially since I live in FL.

F

fogorvostan

Yeah, a few of my friends already in dental school or in the midst of applying have mentioned that the process is weird. Mind if I ask you which schools you've applied to and received interviews from? PM me if you need to.
LECOM: accepted
UNE: accepted
MWU AZ: accepted

NYU: declined interview offer
Tufts: declined interview offer

(rest are rejection with no interview)
UF, DCG, UPenn, BU, Pitt, Temple, Nova

Reactions: 2 users
F

fogorvostan

Very helpful, thanks! I've applied to practically the same schools except for LECOM and a few California schools. How were your extracurricular activities and were you a nontraditional applicant?
No problem!

Nontraditional applicant. I have my MPH and have been working as a high school teacher. Otherwise, I had about 750+ hours of volunteer work, 100 hours of shadowing, 400 hours of assisting, research experience (1 published article), and then random part-time jobs.

My application was mailed last year Aug 28th to all schools except MWU AZ. I added them mid October and then accidentally forgot about my supplemental until sometime in November... :rofl:

*Edit. Omg it was apparently December when I finished.
Whoops

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fogorvostan

Holy crap, we must be twins from a different universe because I was a high school teacher too!! Except I taught mostly special ed, which is why if you look at my past posts I kinda have a salty demeanor about life :(
That is too funny! I taught science :) Being a teacher came up in ALL of my interviews. I really connected with one of my interviewers because she was also a former teacher.

Hi Im Dent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe it also comes down to how much you focus on your secondaries. I definitely heard back from schools that I worked really hard on vs ones I honestly half-assed because I got really burnt out doing multiple essays and asking students from each school different questions in order to write a stronger secondary.

I had similar stats to yours as well and was fortunate enough to get 8 interviews last cycle. All were post-december though but to be fair I submitted my app in late July because I was waiting for a grade change and it took AADSAS until mid August to verify my grades. Or maybe its like @nateriver said, you just need that one adcom who decides to read your app and suddenly it progresses and you get an interview.

Last edited:

gogoclever

Reaction score
how long are the answers to the supplemental essay questions have to be? I know the limit is 1500 but how long were your responses for #7,8?

Hi Im Dent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah I feel ya, I sent my last secondary a few days ago and sent most of them out last week....

Did you do a postbac or SMP or masters program to compensate for you undergraduate GPA or did you have stellar ECs?

I did a post-bacc, I came out of undergrad with a 3.01 BCP GPA.

Cito

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
isnt that the first interview?

yea good luck. my interview was sept 4th or 6th last year too

I'm interviewing the 20th, do you think that'd still count as a high chance for acceptance? I wouldn't say I'm on the higher stats end fyi...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

JLT223

DMD
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interviewing the 20th, do you think that'd still count as a high chance for acceptance? I wouldn't say I'm on the higher stats end fyi...

Your performance at the interview determines your chance of an acceptance.

frozenicecreamDMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hm, I would not worry about it. Just prepare your interview well (go on SDN school specific most commonly asked question and re write answers for them). this will make you more eloquent when you answer the question. Try to remain flexible when you answer the questions, nothing is right and nothing is wrong. but Try to protect your view of point in the ethic situational question. You say what you think the interviews want to hear and align with the school's teaching philosophy.

the good method of answer question is one sentence of your opinion about yourself and one sentence about what you did in the past that support the opinion.

most importantly, shake hand confidently with the deans. This school is special that both the school dean and clinical dean lead the tours. try to engage them with one or two questions.

september 20th is still very early for an interview for me and your chance is still great. I would not sweat about it.

but I will sweat about that 71k$ tuition and fee, craziness.

have more ??, PM me.

Cito

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hm, I would not worry about it. Just prepare your interview well (go on SDN school specific most commonly asked question and re write answers for them). this will make you more eloquent when you answer the question. Try to remain flexible when you answer the questions, nothing is right and nothing is wrong. but Try to protect your view of point in the ethic situational question. You say what you think the interviews want to hear and align with the school's teaching philosophy.

the good method of answer question is one sentence of your opinion about yourself and one sentence about what you did in the past that support the opinion.

most importantly, shake hand confidently with the deans. This school is special that both the school dean and clinical dean lead the tours. try to engage them with one or two questions.

september 20th is still very early for an interview for me and your chance is still great. I would not sweat about it.

but I will sweat about that 71k$ tuition and fee, craziness.

I appreciate the advice. Are you a student there? I didn't catch that info in this thread

frozenicecreamDMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the advice. Are you a student there? I didn't catch that info in this thread

i got in but decide on a less expensive school. once you get accepted, the difference between 2k monthlypayment and 3.2k monthly payment (on a 20year term) is a day and night. you just have to decide what is best for your future you.

Hey ug

Chance fan
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Im interviewing that day too!