MWU-AZ Grads Need Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

now2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am also interested in this since I am most likely going to MWU. Is this true?

correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think the graduates of any dental school need to do a residency in order to begin practicing. as long as you pass the board and licensing exams then you can practice. sure, i know most schools encourage a residency of some sort, but i believe most people don't do it. any school using this as a selling point is taking advantage of naive applicants.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think the graduates of any dental school need to do a residency in order to begin practicing. as long as you pass the board and licensing exams then you can practice. sure, i know most schools encourage a residency of some sort, but i believe most people don't do it. any school using this as a selling point is taking advantage of naive applicants.

Midwestern is not walking around claiming they will absolutely prepare you right out of school for private practice and that no other school is doing that. It's never been portrayed as such in all of my visits and interaction with the the school. That's certainly one of the goals they have for their graduates, but that can generically be said of all schools. What they are touting is a curriculum and adoption of practices that they believe will prepare their students to be ready, and it's reflected in their actions. Just like ASDOH across town has their own focus. They're producing clinically competent dentists too, but their goals and curriculum reflect a different philosophy. MWU has always been fair in comparisons they make with other programs and not snobbing around that only they can have you ready to roll in four years.

Whether or not a graduating student feels they absolutely need additional training is more dependent on the individual than the institution. It might be easier to achieve confidence and experience at certain schools (big patient pools, plenty of chairs, able to do a wider scope of procedures, etc.), but I'm of the opinion that you can make due with any school if you're willing to put in the effort. You can see on the forums how some graduates feel that they needed it and some have even concluded that all students need it. Perhaps some pre-dents are of this assumption that most people do it because of what they've heard and seen around them. It's just based on their experience. We are all different. Maybe I'll need to do one too. I'll wait and see when I'm at the point. Or maybe my state will think I need as we see some students are mandated to do so.

As for what's up with this first graduating class, you might get a more prompt response if you send a message to a current student. A couple of months ago Oracle DMD posted some limited info he knew so far. 4 OMFS, 1 Perio, 1 Dental anesthesia, and 2 Ortho residencies. Perhaps he might know more now. If I were judging a school by this kind of criterion, I'd personally not question a school's ability to prepare you unless I saw something ridiculous like 90% of the class going into GRPs/AEGDs.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12190788&postcount=14