MWU-AZ (OOS) vs. WesternU (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrazyEyes41

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title: Midwestern-AZ (OOS) vs. WesternU (IS)

School 1: MWU-AZ ($520k)
OOS
Pros:
  • Strong clinical program, seems to be procedure paradise.
  • Will learn to place implants
  • emphasis on private practice
  • Fiancee will be in AZ for nursing school 2021
Cons:
  • Cost - will need to pay for housing and expenses
  • Any others?
School 2: Western University ($420K)
IS (I live about 3 miles from campus)
Pros:
  • Students seem to be happy
  • Local college in community I grew up in
  • Would be able to save on housing expenses ($18K/yr compared to MWU-AZ)
Cons:
  • Clinical program? Had a public health dentist literally tell me to reapply if this was the only school I was accepted to.
  • No implants, seems like externships are required to meet graduation requirements
Summary: I really liked MWU-AZ. Their curriculum seems to be catered to what I want to be as a dentist (Private practice, procedure-based, opportunity to learn more than bread and butter). Finding patients does not seem to be an issue and their clinical facility is new and state of the art. However, housing expenses and 4 years away from my family are the only draw backs I see. Is this school worth $80k in housing expenses for the opportunity to grind in clinic and learn implants?

Western is quite literally down the street from me so I would be able to stay with family members to save on housing costs. However, I have not heard the best things about their clinical program. Also, the opportunity to not miss B-day parties, family gatherings, and family emergencies throughout the 4 years is invaluable. What would you do? AZ is only a 5 hour drive away, is the extra expense worth it?

I do not have a current interest in specialization. I applied with the intention of becoming a GP, but that may change while I am school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I wouldn't trade 100k for four years away from my spouse.
I should be more clear. We are both from southern California. We are moving to Arizona in Jan. for her 1 yr nursing program which will end Dec. 2021. If I go to Western, there would be a 5 month period we would be apart (which isn't the end of the world) and she would come home when her program ends.

Or I go to MWU, and she'll stay with me in AZ for the next 4 years after her program ends and start working!.

In other words, I'm willing to trade $100k for 5 months away from my spouse :)

But is that $60-$100k worth it is the question. I know MWU is the better school clinic wise, but at what cost?

I should be more clear. We are both from southern California. We are moving to Arizona in Jan. for her 1 yr nursing program which will end Dec. 2021. If I go to Western, there would be a 5 month period we would be apart (which isn't the end of the world) and she would come home when her program ends.

Or I go to MWU, and she'll stay with me in AZ for the next 4 years after her program ends and start working!.

In other words, I'm willing to trade $100k for 5 months away from my spouse :)

But is that $60-$100k worth it is the question. I know MWU is the better school clinic wise, but at what cost?

Oh, in that case go to western