MWU AZ vs. Roseman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RielVia

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please leave any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd pick MWU AZ between those two. The price is about the same.

I'm not familiar enough with Roseman to compare the two really in-depth, but I feel like you will get to do more procedures and see more patients at MWU AZ. Roseman has an AEGD program that is likely taking some of the more complex cases out of the hands of DMD students while MWU AZ has specialty suites, but no residents, allowing DMD students to do all of the cases. I also wasn't in love with the curriculum design that Roseman uses, it seemed to be kind of over-complicated vs MWU AZ where you have a lecture and then take an exam - much more simple.

Also, take into consideration where you actually want to live during school. You'll be fine with either place though!

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve lived in AZ and currently live in UT. Like knewstance said, prices are about the same for both schools. But I’ll give you some pros and cons to living in both states (at least pros and cons for me).

AZ Pros: Great hiking spots immediately around the metropolitan area, generally really great people to live around, the northern area of AZ is beautiful along with great ski resorts/neighborhoods with cabins you can stay at while on a break.
AZ Cons: It’s insanely hot. 115+ from late April to early October. You’re inside literally for 95% of the day. You get used to it after a while, but hanging out with friends is mainly an indoor thing. The great hikes I mentioned are easier to do super early in the morning before sunrise, which makes for a beautiful view!

UT Pros: Again, great hiking spots, great skiing spots, it’s insanely beautiful living right next to the mountains, and it’s been a really safe place to live. It’s not as hot as AZ in the summer, and gets nice and cool in the winter. There’s also really great National Parks in southern Utah that have insanely great views!
UT Cons: Everyone forgets how to drive in the snow on a yearly basis. The first snow day of the year always has 200+ accidents because everyone doesn’t know how to drive. Generally really bad drivers year-round (the worst is when they’ll randomly slam on their brakes on the freeway for no reason whatsoever). If you’re gonna live here, be sure to have a FWD/AWD car with good snow-gripping tires.

Overall, as someone who’s lived in both states, I’d rather live in Arizona for 4 years than Utah. Both states are really good, don’t get me wrong, but I just like AZ more! If you have more questions, just DM me!!

Reactions: 1 users
A focus of MWU AZ is preparing their students to not need an AEGD/GPR. Their clinical program is very strong. They also have no shortage of patients due to being near a bunch of retirement communities (old people on a fixed income and nothing to do = perfect dental school patients).

Roseman has the reputation of under-preparing their students clinically, possibly necessitating an AEGD/GPR. Utah is also about as saturated as it gets for dentistry. This not only means it would be un-wise to try and practice there after school, but it also means that there is no shortage of dentists in private practice for members in the community to go and see, which means Roseman doesn't have quite as plentiful of a patient population.

With that, I would definitely choose MWU since cost is about the same. Which, speaking of cost, I would try as hard as you can to offset that cost with scholarships.

Reactions: 1 users