MWU IL vs. ASDOH vs. UDM vs. Roseman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optomisticdr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a late acceptance from all of these schools and have trouble picking between them. They are all similar in tuition and I am leaning towards Illinois and Arizona. Which ones should I choose and why? Thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted to Midwestern and loved it! However, I denied just because I found a cheaper option. If I was from Illinois I'd go there!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You do not want to start out in your career pressured to do a lot of work just to pay off your student loans. Get manageable loans so you do not have to worry about sacrificing your life and sanity for 15 years to pay them off.

This is the single worst piece of advice.

What if OP got into a school where he would pay half tuition than what he his paying now if he just reapplied? You a pre-dent? Mam or sir, look at the financial facts and then tell me waiting one year and reapplying to cheaper schools is not a good option.

What if OP got into a school where he would pay half tuition than what he his paying now if he just reapplied? You a pre-dent? Mam or sir, look at the financial facts and then tell me waiting one year and reapplying to cheaper schools is not a good option.

This person didn’t get into cheaper schools this cycle. What makes you think next cycle will be any different and they will get in? There is NO guarantee they get into dental school next year. It is a competitive process, one that only gets MORE competitive every year. You are telling them to throw away a GUARANTEED acceptance for a chance at getting in somewhere cheaper next cycle.

Plus, reapplying next cycle will only delay them getting into dental school, becoming a dentist, and making a dentist salary. They are losing out on at least an entire years worth of income as a dentist. Major opportunity cost.

And schools can see if you’ve gotten an acceptance in the past, and if you’ve rejected it. Rejecting multiple acceptances will be a massive red flag on his re-application that will not help him get in anywhere cheaper.

Reactions: 4 users
This person didn’t get into cheaper schools this cycle. What makes you think next cycle will be any different and they will get in? There is NO guarantee they get into dental school next year. It is a competitive process, one that only gets MORE competitive every year. You are telling them to throw away a GUARANTEED acceptance for a chance at getting in somewhere cheaper next cycle.

Plus, reapplying next cycle will only delay them getting into dental school, becoming a dentist, and making a dentist salary. They are losing out on at least an entire years worth of income as a dentist. Major opportunity cost.

And schools can see if you’ve gotten an acceptance in the past, and if you’ve rejected it. Rejecting multiple acceptances will be a massive red flag on his re-application that will not help him get in anywhere cheaper.

Schools can actually see this? Can I get some replies to this? That is crazy.

Anyways. I get your argument. But what you do not get is interest. OP can be fine on a $120k salary with $200k in debt because that will be a 6.5% interest rate. If he or she goes over that, then $120k salary on $400k with $224k at 6.5% and $200k at 9% interest rate. So he effectively tripled his loan over the loan term. So he would be saving more than a on year dentist income if he waited a year and got in. This would Laos increase his quality of life for 15 years after her or she (sorry) graduates.

See my argument?

Schools can actually see this? Can I get some replies to this? That is crazy.

Anyways. I get your argument. But what you do not get is interest. OP can be fine on a $120k salary with $200k in debt because that will be a 6.5% interest rate. If he or she goes over that, then $120k salary on $400k with $224k at 6.5% and $200k at 9% interest rate. So he effectively tripled his loan over the loan term. So he would be saving more than a on year dentist income if he waited a year and got in. This would Laos increase his quality of life for 15 years after her or she (sorry) graduates.

See my argument?
Definitely see your argument. Thing is though, he will most likely be making more than 120k salary. Second, he can refinance as much as he wants at lower interest rates. All those schools are definitely going to cost a pretty penny overall though.

Tbh a lot of times I see these posts and it’s not even reapplying to cheaper schools that’s an option. It’s really either accept your offer and be a dentist, or decline and do something else.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely see your argument. Thing is though, he will most likely be making more than 120k salary. Second, he can refinance as much as he wants at lower interest rates. All those schools are definitely going to cost a pretty penny overall though.

Tbh a lot of times I see these posts and it’s not even reapplying to cheaper schools that’s an option. It’s really either accept your offer and be a dentist, or decline and do something else.

Masters in accounting. $30k tuition online 70k first year and after 3 years $100k. Sounds like a better deal than $400k with $120k. We do not know if OP will make more. It is all variable. Thus I use starting salaries for both professions based on what I have seen in the most average situations.

But I see what you are saying. Financially, it doesn't make sense to be a dentist with more than $400k in debt starting your career off. But if it is truly what you love then sure go for it. Just do not be upset if 10 years after graduation you are living like a cashier.

I exaggerated. But 120k is a lowball. I really hate these schools charging these outrageous prices...

It is not lowball and it is not good - it is the average new grad GP no AEGD/GPR trained income. Now if you have AEGD or GPR usually take on $30-40k and that is reasonable. More procedural mix and skills on production is more income. But you have to be wise. Not every office you work for is set up to do implants or high overhead procedures.