MWU- IL vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent155

Reaction score
Would appreciate if any current NYU or MWU dental students could comment on their experience at either one of these school. (im already aware of their price difference so any other non-money related insight would help most) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I'm also deciding between the two. Did you choose a school yet?

Hi, I'm also deciding between the two. Did you choose a school yet?
Decided on NYU. It was a tough call since both schools are great clinically, but getting the chance to live in nyc for the next 4 years was too hard for me to resist hahaha. Also NYU offers opportunities to travel/gain clinical experience globally which was rlly important to me. Oh and having a larger class doesn't both me at all, I like the chance to network/connect more. Let me know what u decide!

Members don't see this ad :)
As an NYU student, it's not as amazing as you may think.

Living in NYC is hard to resist? Come on. NYC rent is outrageous. It used to be doable. Now it's just stupidity. You're looking at a minimum of 2k a month as a roommate. You're looking at 3k+ for a small studio. This is also INCREASING annually. Are you really OK with MINIMUM 100K additional for rent alone for 4 years? Not to mention the outrageous costs of food and living? For an NYC experience? If you really want an NYC experience, I recommend coming later in your life and visiting for several days.

NYU isn't that glorious with clinical experience. I came to NYUCD for a better clinical experience. Yes, we get a ton of abnormal and psychological patients on a daily basis. Nowadays, with COVID kinda cleared, other schools should not have an issue with patient acquisition. Trust me, NYU's clinical experience is not any special. It's the same grunt work of any other dental school. In fact, in the past year, because we had so many students but so little number of patients comparably, we had/have issues fulfilling the already lowered requirements. But we are always in shortage of tools and equipment to treat patients. Shortage of faculties. If clinical experience is your reason for coming to NYU, sorry, it's not the case anymore.

Travel and gain clinical experience globally? Probably not going to happen during your time in dental school.

If having a larger class doesn't bother you - think about this. There is a huge faculty shortage in the school. In the clinic, you need their assistance, permissions, swipes, etc to do the work. You have at least 5 people in the line each of them taking a minimum of 10 minutes. Your patient is on the chair waiting for 30 minutes and on. Think about it.

Lastly, do you think the school cares about its students? Hah!

Besides all the shenanigans in school that are worth mentioning, let me tell you about one that recently happened. The school decided to hold D2 and D3 white coat ceremonies in one of NYU's auditorium buildings. The details are as follows:

1. Students coat themselves on their chair
2. No guests are allowed in the event
3. Done at one of NYU's auditoriums (NYU White Coat ceremonies are held at the Lincoln center every year)
4. Do D2 and D3 white coat ceremonies on the same day
5. Hold the D2 ceremony before the D3 ceremony because D3 needs to work in the clinic for revenue.

The event is canceled 4 days prior because of students' and parents' petition to reschedule the event, but just thinking of holding the event like that gives you an idea if the school cares about their students or not.

Listen. Despite what everyone said about NYUCD, I wanted to be a proud NYU student. At every step of the way, NYU has disappointed me.

When you come in next year, your tuition ALONE will be over 100K and 5% increase every year. You won't have the fortune of interest freeze last the past 2 years. You're looking at 700k+ just after your graduation. Please go to a cheaper school. NYU is not worth the extra.

Reactions: 6 users
Would appreciate if any current NYU or MWU dental students could comment on their experience at either one of these school. (im already aware of their price difference so any other non-money related insight would help most) Thanks!
I know you don’t think money related insight will help, but this is outrageous. Take it from someone who is about to enter their DDS4 year in about 2 weeks, the abuse and garbage you put up with for these 4 years in dental school isn’t worth $0.50. Let alone what you’re going to pay at NYU. You won’t believe this now, but you’ll start to see what I mean but by that time it will unfortunately when it’s too late. All I can say is best of luck and I hope you find a good counselor. I mean that genuinely. It’s a traumatic experience and and it’s messed me up. Haha it’s fortunate I got into my cheapest option or I would’ve scrapped the whole thing and went into tech. Not joking. That much money isn’t worth it.

Ps I love dentistry. Real dentistry. I just think dental school is killing a great profession

Dang did OP changed his mind after Punt me comment?👀

I personally have never met any NYU students who recommended others to go to their school...