MWU-IL vs Roseman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MWU-IL vs Roseman

• MWU-IL

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Roseman

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

big-smiles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
School 1: MWU-IL (IS)

Pros:
  • Very strong and early clinical experience
  • No specialty programs, students get to work through a wide variety of cases
  • Clinic has large faculty to student ratio
  • Newer technology and certifications-- Invisalign, CAD/CAM, laser dentistry, Implants
  • Get a full summer break after D1 year-- also a slight con, D1 curriculum moves at a faster pace in order to complete everything in 3 quarters.
  • Close to home, where all of my family and friends are
  • Not too far from the city of Chicago
Cons:
  • Cost
School 2: Roseman (OOS) 4-year program

Pros:
  • Curriculum is structured to support a good work-life balance for students
  • Block scheduling, 1 class at a time, 2-3 weeks for each class.
  • pass/fail grading
  • Exams: test is taken by yourself then with a group. If group scores 95% or higher, then you get 5% added to personal score
  • Strong and early clinical exposure
  • No specialty programs, students get to see more challenging cases
  • Administration and faculty emphasize the importance of culture and incorporate a group activity to facilitate a more collaborative environment
  • 100% pass rate on boards
  • High rates for graduates matching with a specialty program (26 matched in 2019)
  • Beautiful state! Lots to do outdoors to adventure and relax-- skiing, hiking
Cons:
  • Won't get to experience the technology or get certifications, as I would with MWU-IL
  • Far from home!
Summary: I am not quite sure where to go. Cost isn't the biggest factor since they are similar, taking the cost of attendance and living expenses into consideration. I would like to specialize in the future, but of course, my mind could change once in dental school. I think MWU-IL is an amazing school, and I would learn a lot. There's no substitute for hard work; however, if I intend to specialize, it seems that going to Roseman could put me at an advantage with the P/F grading. I am just unsure if I want to spend my 4 years so far away from home and would miss my friends and family greatly.

If anyone attends these schools or has any input please feel free to leave a comment or vote! I would love to hear about experiences with going to dental school OOS as well if anyone would like to share. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar position with MWU-IL and an OOS school for this fall start. Im also an Illinois resident not too far from MWU-IL and the reasons you gave were a big part of why I chose to attend MWU-IL instead. As far as specializing goes, I know a lot of people who went to MWU-IL who matched into competitive programs so its not impossible. Hopefully my 2 cents helps :) Good luck!

The pass rate is a deceiving stat. I'm not sure if it's published, but what you want to know is the FRIST ATTEMPT pass rate.

Basically everyone passes, it just depends on how many times they are willing to take the exam. Don't let that weigh heavily on your decision, as most people use external resources to prepare for boards anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Roseman D1 here. Easy to say that I've loved it so far. The balance of school to personal life is real and makes this experience have a higher fun:stress ratio!
Also, last year every D4 that took the new integrated boards passed on their first time taking it and those who want to specialize have a 90% match rate with residencies. Certificates are always something that can be obtained after school, especially with required CE credits, so maybe think of what you want your education to focus; newer tech skills that you may not even be using your first couple years practicing, or skills that will get you into residencies and early experience in the clinic --as D1, I've already performed a restoration on a patient.
In the end, there are things about Roseman people don't like and can't handle. You definitely have to be flexible with schedules and being a newer school, they are consistently taking feedback and changing things for the better (similar I guess to a startup or mom and pop shop mentality). But don't think that just bc you aren't getting laser tech certificates that they aren't on top of recent research and changing curriculum based on this. For example, Roseman is one of the few schools that has implemented teaching Vital Root Therapy.
Lots of things to consider for the type of experience you want! Hope this helps! Don't let the negative commenters sway your decision as lots of people who are happy here just aren't commenting.
Final line of rant: check out pre-dental events schools put on! I know Roseman has been offering them so assume others will and will help you decide where you feel comfortable.

I cant say much about MWU-IL, especially that its your IS school. From my personal experience and what I learned from the interview day, I would def go with Roseman.
The program's collaborative teaching and the assessment learning they talk about is really part of the program and its inspiring. The fact that they have only been in the picture for 15 years and have came this far (transitioning to a 3-year dental program) shows you how progressive they are.
My vote is Roseman but the end of the day, it's up to you to decide which school you really like to go or what resonates with you the most.

Last I heard Roseman was switching to a 3 year curriculum this cycle. If that’s true that could weigh in on your decision as well