ldscanadian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
MWU is again running a clinical simulation course. A good chance for those interested in attending MWU dental school to learn about the facilities as well as meet a number of the faculty and students.

Dear Pre-dental Organization Students and Advisors,

We are the Midwestern University Chapter of the American Student Dental Association. Midwestern University is one of the country’s newest dental schools and our campus houses the most technologically-advanced Dental Simulation Clinic in the nation! It is with great excitement that we, at ASDA, would like to invite your pre-dental members to visit Midwestern University’s College of Dental Medicine and participate in the ASDA CLINICAL SIMULATION COURSE.

The course will be offered June 11-12, 2010 and June 25-26, 2010. Both weekends will be exactly the same, and will offer attendees the opportunity to experience and utilize all the technology our state-of-the art facilities have to offer! In addition your students will receive educational seminars on topics for first year dental students. Seats are limited and the course fills fast. We are currently taking applications on a first come first serve basis, so we hope you can join us!

The application for the course can be found at http://www.midwestern.edu/mwuasda.xml

For more info on the event see the attached flier below.

Note: This event is expected to fill quickly, last year I wasn't able to attend because I applied too late. So if you are interested in attending apply early and don't wait for the summer or you will likely miss out.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Is anyone interested in this? I'm from out-of-state, but am willing to fly over there to attend this. It sounds like a great opportunity. Would anyone be interested in sharing a hotel room or something? Or anyone from this area willing to give some recommendations on places to stay, etc.?

Thanks

SuperTank

5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2009
Phoenix
Status
Dental Student
I mean how do you know it is the most advanced...
I'm pretty sure that if you were dealing with intangibles you could argue that point. If they said "the dental school with the best looking students" or "the tastiest food" or "the best weather," I would understand. But to say technologically advanced, you can compare that with other schools. If MWU offers new technologies in the sim clinic that are more advanced than what other schools in the country use, and MWU is the only school to use them, wouldn't you agree they would be considered THE most technologically advanced?

nuartywayne

7+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field], Dentist
Seems like you are spitting out what Dr. Simonsen (sp?) said during the interview and what they said at the sim clinic. For those interested its a cool experience.

Does MWU have THE best sim clinic? NO. They are all relatively the same. Its just a little newer. You will get the same education anywhere in the country. One school isn't better than the other...You will actually end up paying a whole lot more at MWU.

drm85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I did the sim clinic wkend at MWU last yr.

I highly recommend it, however it was free in 09.

Andrew324

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I'm pretty sure that if you were dealing with intangibles you could argue that point. If they said "the dental school with the best looking students" or "the tastiest food" or "the best weather," I would understand. But to say technologically advanced, you can compare that with other schools. If MWU offers new technologies in the sim clinic that are more advanced than what other schools in the country use, and MWU is the only school to use them, wouldn't you agree they would be considered THE most technologically advanced?
Newer and better than a school built after Midwestern? This is all chatter.

I am sure the event is great and would suggest anyone to go to it.

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
San Diego
Status
Dentist
Seems like you are spitting out what Dr. Simonsen (sp?) said during the interview and what they said at the sim clinic. For those interested its a cool experience.

Does MWU have THE best sim clinic? NO. They are all relatively the same. Its just a little newer. You will get the same education anywhere in the country. One school isn't better than the other...You will actually end up paying a whole lot more at MWU.
not all sim clinics are the equal, and MWU's sim clinic is among the best in the country. will you pay good money to come here? oh yeah. if you get into your state school, go. but if you're going out of state or to an in state private school (like most dental students) MWU is as good as it gets in many respects. some schools are better than others, it depends on the person and what is good for them.

Jan 9, 2010
Arizona
Status
Pre-Dental
thanks for the heads up, I just signed up for June 11th! 90 spots left for the 11th and 93 for the other one as of right now.

xhamburgersamx

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2008
Status
Dental Student
not all sim clinics are the equal, and MWU's sim clinic is among the best in the country. will you pay good money to come here? oh yeah. if you get into your state school, go. but if you're going out of state or to an in state private school (like most dental students) MWU is as good as it gets in many respects. some schools are better than others, it depends on the person and what is good for them.
This is all relative and subjective. I've seen the compressor units at MWU and they are new but they do the same as an older model at another school. I didn't see any other advantages of their sim lab vs. any other schools that are up to date besides being brand new. Did MWU end up using the 3D-virtual reality hand piece units? How were they ?

MowgliR

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2009
Status
Dental Student
I just signed up for June 11th session. Anyone else going? I'm a CA resident.

Last edited:

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
San Diego
Status
Dentist
This is all relative and subjective. I've seen the compressor units at MWU and they are new but they do the same as an older model at another school. I didn't see any other advantages of their sim lab vs. any other schools that are up to date besides being brand new. Did MWU end up using the 3D-virtual reality hand piece units? How were they ?
what's subjective? outside of having brand new digital radiography, CAD/CAM units, a wet lab 4x the size of many schools facilities, dexter units that move in every plane that a human does (vs a head on a stick at some schools), a tooth bank that cleans and sorts natural teeth for you so you dont need to do it your self, ...

i could go on, but this isn't subjective stuff. moreover i am not even saying that you won't pay a lot for it, to the contrary, i said if you get into your in state school that you should def go. i didn't even say that MWU has the ultimate, end all, best facilities, but it is up there and it is about as good as it gets. go visit other schools and you'll see. not that you have to have what we have to geet a proper education, but it sure is nice.

Jan 9, 2010
Arizona
Status
Pre-Dental
Should I hold off on applying till June 12th so I can include this in my application?? Or can I put it on my app before I attend it? What do you guys think

coolslugs

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2005
Status
Should I hold off on applying till June 12th so I can include this in my application?? Or can I put it on my app before I attend it? What do you guys think
No. Apply early without putting it in. If you want you can send an update to the schools later.

Last edited:

gatorgrl10

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
Richmond, VA
Status
Dental Student
I went last year and it was a great time and met great people so if you can go, I would!

I was in the same situation last year. Put it on your application anyways, that's what I did. By the time your application is verified and the schools review it, it'll be past June 12th. PM me if you have any questions :)

ldscanadian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Here is an update of what to expect from attending the course (below). Also I will be volunteering for the June 11/12 session. If you attend this session please come introduce yourself to me. I look forward to meeting many of you.

Cam (first year dental student- class of 2013)

Also if you have any questions feel to send me a message on the student doctor network, or just post your question on this thread.

Time: All-day event
Midwestern University
American Student Dental Association
[email protected]

More Info: Clinical Simulation Course Flier
Two sessions available:
June 11-12 OR June 25-26

Join us for an intensive two-day training to begin laying your foundation of dental
knowledge. Your experiences will provide you with a glimpse into the life of a dental student at Midwestern University.

Valuable first-hand experience will include:
• Attending lectures on preparing for dental school and
other topics
• Touring the brand new Midwestern University Dental Institute
• Taking alginate impressions
• Pouring and trimming impressions on stone models
• Performing cavity preparations using an electric hand piece
• Exploring dental anatomy with the 3-D Dental Anatomy
program used by MWU students
• Experiencing state of the art CAD-CAM technology
• Learning techniques for waxing proper tooth anatomy
• Placing a composite restoration

Students must be 18 years or older by June 11, 2010 to apply for this program. The cost of attendance is $100. Space is limited and filled on a first come, first serve basis.

ldscanadian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Based on these activities:
Taking alginate impressions and pouring and trimming impressions on stone models.

I would expect that scrubs would be in order. Also based on what the faculty and students were wearing in the brochure in my original post I would also infer scrubs to be the norm. This is what we wear in Sim Clinic and I wouldn't expect anyone to want you to stain nice clothes.

However because this is not an absolute answer I will try to find out for you and post again soon.

Mar 27, 2010
Status
Yes, wear scrubs, thats what everyone wore last year .
There were couple people that did not wear scrubs, and they stood out.

If you don't wear scrubs, we do have plastic lab coats.

Last year we had an awesome time, so plan to have a lot of fun this year as well!

Jan 9, 2010
Arizona
Status
Pre-Dental

Last year we had an awesome time, so plan to have a lot of fun this year as well!
Awesome thanks! Where would you guys stand on the question I asked before which is: Should I submit my Dental School App. after I do this program, to add it to my application? Or should I submit it early and just add it to the app. even though I haven't actually done it yet? I obviously will be able to talk about it come interview time but not sure if i'm allowed to enter something I haven't actually done yet.

Dec 16, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I went last year!! It was GREAT =) They are so friendly and helpful. I
recommend it to everyone. :)

cjb04

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Status
Dental Student
As long as you are 100% sure you're participating, I would encourage you to put it on your application. It takes time for AADSAS to process everything and get it to the schools after you hit "submit", so it should be fine.
Awesome thanks! Where would you guys stand on the question I asked before which is: Should I submit my Dental School App. after I do this program, to add it to my application? Or should I submit it early and just add it to the app. even though I haven't actually done it yet? I obviously will be able to talk about it come interview time but not sure if i'm allowed to enter something I haven't actually done yet.

xhamburgersamx

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2008
Status
Dental Student

Who cares if you stand out...lol MWU doesn't provide gowns, masks or goggles?

minotaur9

minotaur9
Jun 5, 2009
Rochester
Status
Pre-Dental
I think I may be attending the second session.

ldscanadian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
To those interested in registering for the sim clinic course, which I would highly recommend to any predent who wants something extra to add to an application or even accepted predents who just wants to get some additional experience before starting dental school. The first of these courses is being offered in a month, so if you haven't already registered you might want chose a date and register soon, as we did run out of seats last year.

We are getting excited for a fun weekend and look forward to seeing you there.

minotaur9

minotaur9
Jun 5, 2009
Rochester
Status
Pre-Dental
I registered for the June 25-26 session a few weeks ago :)

May 17, 2010
Status
I am very interested in this clinical simulation, however, I will not be applying for schools until 2012. Would you recommend to wait until next year to attend this or would it be advantageous for me to attend this year? Thank you.

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
San Diego
Status
Dentist
What?!?!? Tell me more....
exactly like it sounds. its super sweet. at MWU, everything you could possibly need is handed to you on a silver platter. take that public schools! :smuggrin:

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
San Diego
Status
Dentist
Hitten up the June 11-12 session... pretty stoked!! Does anyone know how advantageous it is to have on your application/resume?
its definately noticed, and should be a talking point during your interview.

May 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm pretty excited for this! I signed up for the second one but now I kind of wish I signed up for the first one.
So are we supposed to arrive wearing scrubs?

MowgliR

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2009
Status
Dental Student
I'm pretty excited for this! I signed up for the second one but now I kind of wish I signed up for the first one.

Thats what I'm doing.

Btw I originally signed up for the 2nd one and then I called and switched. Try and see if you can. Maybe its not too late.

MowgliR

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Anyone going to the Friday event?

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, check your email from MWU)

DividedByZero

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Are you sure? I mean, all the cool kids are attending the second session :cool:

Feb 18, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Just out of curiosity, which one of the 2 campuses is better overall? They make us pay twice on AADSAS as if they are 2 different schools...that really turned me off.

cjb04

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Status
Dental Student
Just out of curiosity, which one of the 2 campuses is better overall? They make us pay twice on AADSAS as if they are 2 different schools...that really turned me off.
Though they are both technically Midwestern University, I think there is a lot of autonomy between the 2 geographic locations. Keep in mind, the 2 dental programs are totally independent of each other, so naturally you'll have to pay twice on AADSAS. I am only familiar with AZ campus. It is small, but there is plenty of parking, great facilities and lot's to do in the area. I think you have to really consider which climate is a better fit for you.

May 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Thats what I'm doing.

Btw I originally signed up for the 2nd one and then I called and switched. Try and see if you can. Maybe its not too late.
I emailed them and they switched me! :]
So I guess I'll be seeing everyone going to the first session! haha

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Any attendees want to comment on the course?
Very impressed with the school. The new clinic is sick. Endo microscopes to be used by students. Sim class is very nice also. Faculty seemed really nice and every student I talked to loves the school.
Students will be seeing their first patients on Monday.

Overall the sim-course was great and would definitely recommend it.

Destiny11

7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
The simulation course was everything I expected and more! It was a great hands on experience with top notch equipment, faculty and students.

The only concern I left the weekend with was getting conflicting information regarding when to submit the AADSAS application. I always thought it is essential to submit the dental application ASAP, even if one if not taking the DAT until later in the summer. However, at the admissions talk it was said that an applicant should not submit the application until after taking the DAT. It is possible for adcom to make a decision based on old scores even if you are planning to re-take the DAT after submitting the application.