my 1st day shadowing a dentist.....what a day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yellow-Jellow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
today i spent 9 straight hrs in the dentist office , first i was kinda worried, 'cause i didnt know what i was going to expect.. , but then it was all fine , the dentist and his staff were friendly , he has a small office , its hard to watch what he was doing , 'cause i didnt wanna bother his work , so i left some space for him and his asistant . everything was fun and good , just 1 thing that i didnt like ...KIDZ..i mean ..the dentist got 2 kids to work on,,a 6 years old girl and her 4 years old brother., well the girl cried and cried and cried , for almost 25 mins , just for a 10 mins work. and then her brothe, he was happy and smiling, but after he was in the seat, its like if someone stole his favorite candy.......he cried ..start kickin' the dentist ...and the worst...he threw up.. :eek: , ..everything else was fine , the patient didnt mind me watching , i really learned alot from this visit!

GOOD LUCK TO U ALL!!
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

yellow

I congratulate you on your hands on experience today! Hands on experience is the best way to learn about careers in dentistry (no offense SDN).

looks like you had a great time in the hardest and most annoying Pedo for some people. next time dont just observe jump in there and get some hand on thing going on, however, meke sure u are prepared to know the name of instruments and stuff. If the Dent is a decent guy then he will be more than happy to share some of his knowledge

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your experience. Try to learn as much as you can. I love shadowing and assisting; you learn so much. Good luck with kids, they are hard to deal with. You will find that it gets easier as time progresses.

xxdakinexx said:
Congrats on your experience. Try to learn as much as you can. I love shadowing and assisting; you learn so much. Good luck with kids, they are hard to deal with. You will find that it gets easier as time progresses.

When I shadowed I wondered in amazement how the dentist managed to entertain kids. I kept thinking "I don't have the patience to ease the kids".

Yea while you're observing, ask any questions you can about instruments and other materials (but not to the point you're distracting/annoying the dentist). Then maybe he'll let you assist a little with a basic procedure. My dentist let me assist some on fillings, bondings, and a couple crowns/bridges. That's GREAT interview material to show off with once you get to the interview. :luck:

IcemanDDS said:
Yea while you're observing, ask any questions you can about instruments and other materials (but not to the point you're distracting/annoying the dentist). Then maybe he'll let you assist a little with a basic procedure. My dentist let me assist some on fillings, bondings, and a couple crowns/bridges. That's GREAT interview material to show off with once you get to the interview. :luck:

You do realize that the dentist is libel for letting somebody who is not licensed let alone trained to do such things.

blankguy said:
You do realize that the dentist is libel for letting somebody who is not licensed let alone trained to do such things.
No I didnt do anything of any significance. I handed the dentist tools, supplies. I also operated the suction and the blue light that sets the bonding cement. All that stuff is very simple and hard to mess up. He wouldnt let me do any of the real work, and I also wouldnt want to.

IcemanDDS said:
No I didnt do anything of any significance. I handed the dentist tools, supplies. I also operated the suction and the blue light that sets the bonding cement. All that stuff is very simple and hard to mess up. He wouldnt let me do any of the real work, and I also wouldnt want to.

A-ha! Just as I suspected Iceman is having second thoughts about dentistry
:p :smuggrin:

blankguy said:
A-ha! Just as I suspected Iceman is having second thoughts about dentistry
:p :smuggrin:
Doh! Didnt mean for it to sound that way! Of course I would love to cut and drill in people's mouth, just need a little thing called training. Hey some of those patients that I helped with may be my very own one day, so its never too early to start building my clientel!

But seriously, do ALL you can during shadowing. The more you learn the better off you'll be im sure. BTW those that have shadowed, have you seen the new Cerec 3d imaging software? That thing is badass!! :horns:

blankguy said:
Not necessarily. Several states permit dental assistants to work with in-house training alone, without any standardized licensure.

And, the term is "liable." Libel is a different critter altogether.

The dentist I shallowed let me do an extraction and 2 root canals.

O wait, thats what I had done. Does that count as shadowing??

TucsonDDS said:
The dentist I shallowed let me do an extraction and 2 root canals.

O wait, thats what I had done. Does that count as shadowing??
I believe that's called dental experience. List those hours separate from your dental shadowing hours.

:laugh: