My accomplishments and goals. Critique?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mekchrious

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a Premed student at a community college in Wyoming. I just want to get some insight on where I am at, and collect some advice possibly.

So my current accomplishments! I was a bit of a slacker in high school, with a 3.83 GPA and 26 on ACT, which could have easily been a 4 and 30 had I really studied. Anyways, got my act together and started college last fall. Easy semester, basic stuff, pulled a 4.0.

This current semester, I'm taking bio, chem, calc1, english 1020, and a pe elective. I have an A across the board, save calc 1, which I have a C in, due to my not taking 1400 in college. My ACT score was just high enough to skip it, but this is also showing me that my high school math was not nearly advanced enough for me to know this material. 1405, trig, was easy enough to get an A in, but calc 1 is tough. So I will be retaking calc 1 this fall after retaking 1400 this summer.

This fall, I will be taking calc 1, gen chem 2, organic chem, plant biology, and probably another easier class, like philosophy, trying to round out my education out from science.

Since our course schedules here are wacky and I started my science courses a bit late, I will be transferring over to university of wyoming (UW) without a degree, but all my credits will transfer. I will plan on being there for three years and completing my baccalaureate degree in five years, partially because I'm slightly behind in my core schedule, and partly because I really want to get a lot of courses in classes such as ethics, psychology, sociology, and the like.

I plan on getting into the WWAMI program at UW, which is a medical program that they team up with the University of Washington. I would spend a year in WY, a year in WA, and spend my clinical years traveling between washington, wyoming, alaska, montana, and idaho, working at various clinics to build experience. My chances of getting into this program are really good, as it is usually a 2:1 ratio for applicants:acceptants. Did I mention upon acceptance, they cover 150k toward expenses for the next four years?

As far as extracurriculars go, I've had a bit of a slow start, but I'm picking up steam now. I am on our honors club at my college. I am organizing our next blood drive, and if all goes well, will continue to do so. I am speaking to several doctors about getting shadowing and clinic hours, as our hospital unfortunately does not provide for that. I will be getting on student government as an officer this fall.

So tear it up! I know the well-rounded education idea, as well as the importance of extracurriculars in medical education, but if you have any other advice, please say so. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.