My advice to pre-pharmers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you learn this in the economics class that you took prior to pharmacy school?

It sounds like you went into the profession for financial purposes (given that you mentioned sign on bonuses twice in your post), things have changed and you'll actually have to look for a job like EVERYONE ELSE who is graduating from school. *gasp* PPPOOOOOOOORRRRRRR EEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVEEEEEEE!

If you would have taken economics as a pre-req prior to attending pharmacy school, logical economics would have told you that the field was becoming saturated. News Flash; Pharmacy was becoming saturated, you chose to look against it and at the "sign on bonuses." However, qualified applicants will be able to get a job and if you're not qualified, get your #$%# together and make yourself the best applicant that you can.

Having worked in the real world for 3 years in pharma R&D prior to starting pharmacy school this fall, I've had to bust my arse trying to get a job in my field while having EPIC student loan debt. It sucks balls, but it's what you have to do. Complaining about having to look for a job instead of having a surplus of positions with huge sign on bonuses is not going to garner much sympathy from members of the board (such as myself) who have had to hunt for jobs while having far less qualifications than a PharmD.

I've had several job offers in ideal locations while others in my class struggle to find any job they can get. I feel bad for all the recent grads that can't land decent jobs and I only forsee it getting worse..That's why I'm trying to warn people. If you do go into pharmacy, make sure you are absolutely top notch and it helps to have connections with people that can hire you!

Oh and don't waste your time in some expensive random new pharmacy school. Make sure you go to a school with a good reputation, that has been around for at least the last 20 years, and that doesn't have a ridiculously large class size.. I would recommend avoiding private schools! I say this just from what I've seen with the pharmacists that have graduated from private schools with 150K+ in student loans. I know one who got laid off recently and he is basically screwed. The pharm school he went to lied basically and tricked him into thinking it was worth it.

Don't hate me. I'm just trying to help people see the reality of things. Pharmacy has gone down hill (as have MANY professions) and the biggest way we could improve things in the near future would be to significantly reduce the number of new grads. We need to come together and get **** done to protect our future and prevent our profession from getting screwed over even more.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've had several job offers in ideal locations while others in my class struggle to find any job they can get. I feel bad for all the recent grads that can't land decent jobs and I only forsee it getting worse..That's why I'm trying to warn people. If you do go into pharmacy, make sure you are absolutely top notch and it helps to have connections with people that can hire you!

Oh and don't waste your time in some expensive random new pharmacy school. Make sure you go to a school with a good reputation, that has been around for at least the last 20 years, and that doesn't have a ridiculously large class size.. I would recommend avoiding private schools! I say this just from what I've seen with the pharmacists that have graduated from private schools with 150K+ in student loans. I know one who got laid off recently and he is basically screwed. The pharm school he went to lied basically and tricked him into thinking it was worth it.

Don't hate me. I'm just trying to help people see the reality of things. Pharmacy has gone down hill (as have MANY professions) and the biggest way we could improve things in the near future would be to significantly reduce the number of new grads. We need to come together and get **** done to protect our future and prevent our profession from getting screwed over even more.

I do understand and agree with your point that many schools tell and act as if their students will be receiving their dream jobs right out of school, but I think this is common to most higher education institutions and not just PharmD programs. I see signs all the time "An MBA from Yada Yada University can help you get to where you want to be!" or... "Engineering degrees at Blah State University allow you to go places."

Clearly the PharmD market has become saturated, but not to the point in which there are no jobs available (at least around here). End of the world? Obviously not, but its definitely not ideal and I can see your point of view there. There will be jobs. Will they be less than that perfect position you day-dreamed about during pharmacotherapy II? Probably, but I think the way you went about getting that point across was a bit insensitive and overly pessimistic. We certainly don't hate you, but were discouraged by the way you went about presenting your opinion. Keep in mind that pharmacy (from what I have seen) is evolving in positive ways as well... I think pre-pharmacy students should be given that advice just as much as your cautionary advice and that was nowhere to be found.

Last edited:
Somatic, the only thing I fail to comprehend is why do you give a crap, argue so passionately and try to warn pre-pharmers? I think it's fair to say majority learns through their own mistakes not by observing mistakes of others. If you so very strongly believe the ideas that you believe, then why don't you let others experience your version of job market reality ?

Exhibit A: last year I was stupid enough to share with a few first year students how hard of a time I had finding internships. These same students were looking at me like surely there must have been someting wrong with me if I wasn't able to find one. I made my own bed. Now that these same students have struggled and failed to find their own internships I could laugh in their face and say "told you so". But I choose to be a bigger person and cheer them with what little support and kind words I can offer.

Bottom line: you may believe you have best intentions in mind and at heart and try to help others but it really sounds like people don't want help especially when it goes against what they believe or like to believe. I would step away at this point to save my inner peace, especially if my help was unwelcomed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do understand and agree with your point that many schools tell and act as if their students will be receiving their dream jobs right out of school, but I think this is common to most higher education institutions and not just PharmD programs. I see signs all the time "An MBA from Yada Yada University can help you get to where you want to be!" or... "Engineering degrees at Blah State University allow you to go places."

Clearly the PharmD market has become saturated, but not to the point in which there are no jobs available (at least around here). End of the world? Obviously not, but its definitely not ideal and I can see your point of view there. There will be jobs. Will they be less than that perfect position you day-dreamed about during pharmacotherapy II? Probably, but I think the way you went about getting that point across was a bit insensitive and overly pessimistic. We certainly don't hate you, but were discouraged by the way you went about presenting your opinion. Keep in mind that pharmacy (from what I have seen) is evolving in positive ways as well... I think pre-pharmacy students should be given that advice just as much as your cautionary advice and that was nowhere to be found.

Keep in mind that only the best of the best or the top 10% or less in pharmacy will be chosen for the positions in which pharmacy is evolving in positive ways...

And you're privy to this specific statistic how?

P4S, you should have taken that economics class as a pre-req! :)

Somatic, I can understand your frustration, but the way that you present your argument reeks of fear-mongering. Furthermore, having had to job hunt in my field (which was considered to be a "safe" field in the sciences), complaining about new grads having to hunt for a job doesn't ellicit much sympathy.

The economy is in a less than stellar position, but it is not ONLY occuring with pharmacy students. It's occuring in EVERY field; Therefore, hunting for a job is the way that the world works. As my Microeconomics teacher states, there is no such thing as a free ride. If you choose to go into pharmacy, chances are that you will have to hunt more vigorously for a job if you're not in the creme de la creme of your class.

In addition, chances are that you won't get your dream job out of undergrad; However, this is common for EVERYONE, regardless of the field that one pursues. I don't think that any pre-pharms should be surprised by that concept and if they are then they will be in for a rude awakening.

Oh I took Econ alright, in 2003 or so... Heh.

What I really want to know is what

will be chosen for the positions in which pharmacy is evolving in positive ways...

means and how Somatic thinks it'll be limited to the top 10%? Leaving the bottom 90% to... Work at Rite-Aid? Alright, so be it.

Given that the number of applicants greatly exceeds the number of seats, this is quite a quixotic quest anyway. Let's say, hypothetically, you convinced a hundred admitted pre-pharms to "wake up" and call their prospective schools and say "You know what? Forget it. Somatic's right, I'm going to go become... a lumberjack!"

The only result is a hundred wait-listed people are now admitted.

Given that the number of applicants greatly exceeds the number of seats, this is quite a quixotic quest anyway. Let's say, hypothetically, you convinced a hundred admitted pre-pharms to "wake up" and call their prospective schools and say "You know what? Forget it. Somatic's right, I'm going to go become... a truck driver!"

The only result is a hundred wait-listed people are now admitted.

Just had to adjust the post a wee bit for this forum. Otherwise, A+.

Exactly. I mean I did polisci and got into government cuz I was a big idealistic hippy in college that wanted to just do what I liked and help people out. So I did it and 7 years in, being a little older, I realized I gotta get my S together if I plan on raising a family getting a house etc. etc. I won't be doing that on a govt salary. So I've always had an interest in the sciences, and pharm looked possible like I could do that and it isn't as time and brain intensive as med school would be but it pays a little more than PA, AA etc.

I understand the sentiment that you should do what you love but you reach a certain age where sometimes what you love isn't enough for you to eat.

If you always had an interest in the sciences, then why did you go into polisci? Pharmacy school is just as brain intensive as med school. You might think that pharmacy pays a little more than a PA, but not anymore. With taxes and student loans taken into account, you will walk away with $40K a year as a full-time pharmacist. I'm not kidding you. You better think twice if this is the profession you want to go into. By the time you're done with school, you might not even find a job, and that's reality.

For everyone else:

I'm sick and tired of seeing many of you attacking Somatic for his opinions. He's basically trying to tell you this: "Don't say that I didn't warn you." He's not trying to scare you. He's just giving you a reality check. Take it as advice from people are who already IN the profession.

I'm a 4th year pharmacy student, and I agree with Somatic 100%. In fact, I know that most of my classmates will agree with him 100% percent. When we first got into pharmacy in 2007, it was a promising career. The economy was boomming. Pharmacists were getting sign-on bonuses and getting hired left and right. We didn't see oversaturation in the pharmacy profession. No one warned us about it because no one saw it coming. The economy didn't take a downturn until 2009. By then, it's too late to get out of pharmacy school and change careers because of our expensive loans.

If you keep asking, "Why did you apply to pharmacy school?" We didn't know back then that the profession was going to end up like this. We didn't see the storm coming. We can't predict the future. Can you predict the weather? If you still don't agree with us, then I ask you this, "Well, why can't YOU win the lottery?"

If you're thinking about going into pharmacy school right now, you seriously need to have second thoughts because there are warning signs everywhere. My classmates are upset and frustrated with pharmacy because they can't even find jobs right now! And we're graduating in May!

My word of advice for all you pre-pharms:
Take your head out of the clouds and stop daydreaming. Pharmacy schools just want your money and could care less if you can't find a job or even pay off loans. If you get into pharmacy school now, good luck ever finding a job by the time you graduate four years from now!

If you always had an interest in the sciences, then why did you go into polisci? Pharmacy school is just as brain intensive as med school. You might think that pharmacy pays a little more than a PA, but not anymore. With taxes and student loans taken into account, you will walk away with $40K a year as a full-time pharmacist. I'm not kidding you. You better think twice if this is the profession you want to go into. By the time you're done with school, you might not even find a job, and that's reality.

For everyone else:

I'm sick and tired of seeing many of you attacking Somatic for his opinions. He's basically trying to tell you this: "Don't say that I didn't warn you." He's not trying to scare you. He's just giving you a reality check. Take it as advice from people are who already IN the profession.

I'm a 4th year pharmacy student, and I agree with Somatic 100%. In fact, I know that most of my classmates will agree with him 100% percent. When we first got into pharmacy in 2007, it was a promising career. The economy was boomming. Pharmacists were getting sign-on bonuses and getting hired left and right. We didn't see oversaturation in the pharmacy profession. No one warned us about it because no one saw it coming. The economy didn't take a downturn until 2009. By then, it's too late to get out of pharmacy school and change careers because of our expensive loans.

If you keep asking, "Why did you apply to pharmacy school?" We didn't know back then that the profession was going to end up like this. We didn't see the storm coming. We can't predict the future. Can you predict the weather? If you still don't agree with us, then I ask you this, "Well, why can't YOU win the lottery?"

If you're thinking about going into pharmacy school right now, you seriously need to have second thoughts because there are warning signs everywhere. My classmates are upset and frustrated with pharmacy because they can't even find jobs right now! And we're graduating in May!

Take your head out of the clouds and stop daydreaming. Pharmacy schools just want your money and could care less if you can't find a job or even pay off loans. If you get into pharmacy school now, good luck ever finding a job by the time you graduate four years from now!

Things sound bad right now. I'm well aware of this, as are most pre-pharm students, I believe.

That said, as you mentioned, nobody can predict what will happen 4 years down the road. Life is always a gamble. What looks bad today may look better tomorrow, and what looks like a sure bet today may be terrible in 4 years.

There is risk in everything. It's important to look at the level of risk and the possible reward and see if they correlate and whether you have the time and stamina to wait out a bad job market. Job markets are definitely cyclic. Like most professions, pharmacy hasn't always been a sure bet, but it hasn't always been bad, either. There were times of bust before. We can always expect that things will go bad again in the future, but the likelihood of the job market completely drying up forever is fairly low.

Another thought -- while people may be taking home 40k for a few years while paying down their loans, loans are temporary! It's irresponsible and sort of presumptuous to act as though students will be saddled with a loan forever. With hard work and a bit of an ascetic lifestyle, pharmacy loans can be paid off completely within a few years. Also, with my BA, I've never once made 40k per year before taxes, so I'm willing to live on 40k or less as a temporary measure. :laugh:

You also seem to hold the common "I studied hard, therefore I deserve a job" mentality. News flash: jobs aren't given out in the US. This isn't China or the USSR. You have to prove you want the job and are capable. You have to find somebody to hire you, Dr. Pharmacist. It was a really unusual confluence of circumstances that led companies to hire anybody with a PharmD in the past. If you believed that set of circumstances would last forever, you might also have believed housing would keep going up in value forever...:laugh:

Last edited:
Did you ever think that maybe you and Somatic and most of your class are a bunch of losers and now that there isn't a massive shortage anymore employers don't have to hire you and your loser classmates anymore? 40K take home, Id love that even though I know it will be more. You tell us we can't predict the future, but then make your own future predictions... Luckily I have connections, but I'm so glad you think you know I wont be able to find a job. Oh and it's never too late to leave pharmacy school. You and Somatic should both go to PA school so when I go to the doctors for a physical and you try to hold my balls and tell me to cough I can laugh and demand a real doctor who's qualified to touch my precious jewels. Oh and all schools just want your money and could care less what happens to you after graduation. Hate to break that to you, but once you flock to PA school you will see the same thing. Oh and have fun defaulting on your loans!

Members don't see this ad :)

An economic collapse is likely to occur this year

Keep in mind that only the best of the best or the top 10% or less in pharmacy will be chosen for the positions in which pharmacy is evolving in positive ways...

I think Somatic is being "attacked" for gems like those. And there's really no need to copy and paste posts across threads.

For everyone else:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is so true! And why do people keep telling me to drop out of pharm school now? I'm done in about a month and have a job lined up. Also, I have less than $40 k in student loans. I'm in a good position but most people are not! That's why I'm trying to warn you because I see other new grads in terrible positions in terms of debt and not finding a job!! Just accept the truth that it's just NOT WORTH IT TO GO TO PHARMACY SCHOOL ANYMORE FOR MOST PEOPLE! This should be so obvious by now! Go ahead and go to pharmacy school but when you get to the end of your grueling 3 or 4 years of pharm school, remember that I warned you! I'm just trying to expose the truth that pharm schools try to hide!

Did you ever think that maybe you and Somatic and most of your class are a bunch of losers and now that there isn't a massive shortage anymore employers don't have to hire you and your loser classmates anymore? 40K take home, Id love that even though I know it will be more. You tell us we can't predict the future, but then make your own future predictions... Luckily I have connections, but I'm so glad you think you know I wont be able to find a job. Oh and it's never too late to leave pharmacy school. You and Somatic should both go to PA school so when I go to the doctors for a physical and you try to hold my balls and tell me to cough I can laugh and demand a real doctor who's qualified to touch my precious jewels. Oh and all schools just want your money and could care less what happens to you after graduation. Hate to break that to you, but once you flock to PA school you will see the same thing. Oh and have fun defaulting on your loans!

I never said I wanted to go to PA school so stop putting words in my mouth. I never had an interest in becoming a PA. In fact, I was one of the minority in my class who wanted to go to pharmacy school purely to become a pharmacist. I could care less about going into medicine, dentistry, optometry, and all other health professions.
Never bank on your connections. I knew someone who interned at a hospital for years. By the time she finished school, the hospital had no budget to even hire her. This is one of the MANY examples that is happening in pharmacy practice today.
You're not even in pharmacy school so have fun on defaulting your loans too! :p

I thought MAYBE, just MAYBE, that when I came back from Seattle the blahblahblah ZOMG sky is falling convos would die down a bit. Guess MY head is in the clouds...lol

As I learned this past weekend, it is all about the networking and who you know (of course, you DO have to be competent and motivated as well- that should be a given...I think.). Just doing a bit of socializing gets you into the right crowd and BAM! You have opportunity right there on your doorstep. I speak from experience. So, the whining ("fearmongering"?) really should stop. You wanna be a "clinical" pharmacist with a lot of recognition/prestige? Be prepared to bust your ass. Where you go to school will matter to a certain extent (most likely regionally and when it comes to residencies) but, overall, being a great pharmacist isn't all about the 4.0 badass from UCSF... It is about how personable you are, how well you convey information, your desire for learning, motivation, hard work, and your ability to adapt and be flexible. Getting your head out of your own arse would be the first step, IMO.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is so true! And why do people keep telling me to drop out of pharm school now? I'm done in about a month and have a job lined up. Also, I have less than $40 k in student loans. I'm in a good position but most people are not! That's why I'm trying to warn you because I see other new grads in terrible positions in terms of debt and not finding a job!! Just accept the truth that it's just NOT WORTH IT TO GO TO PHARMACY SCHOOL ANYMORE FOR MOST PEOPLE! This should be so obvious by now! Go ahead and go to pharmacy school but when you get to the end of your grueling 3 or 4 years of pharm school, remember that I warned you! I'm just trying to expose the truth that pharm schools try to hide!

I have to agree 110%. It'll take me 10 years to pay off my loans knowing how expensive my private pharmacy school is. (Once again they just want to make money.) Because the tuition is increasing each year, it'll take probably even longer for newer/incoming students to pay it off. Somatic and I are just trying to be honest right here. We don't want anyone to fall into the abyss of not finding a job and never being able to pay off a 6-figure loan after completing a 4-year degree. That's the last thing you would want to have happened to you. But if it happens to any of you pharmacy newbies, don't say we didn't warn you. To add to insult to injury, many of my classmates would have pursued a different profession had they knew this was coming. We even had a couple first-year students drop out when they realized that they couldn't even land an intern pharmacist position.

I have to agree 110%. It'll take me 10 years to pay off my loans knowing how expensive my private pharmacy school is. (Once again they just want to make money.) Because the tuition is increasing each year, it'll take probably even longer for newer/incoming students to pay it off. Somatic and I are just trying to be honest right here. We don't want anyone to fall into the abyss of not finding a job and never being able to pay off a 6-figure loan after completing a 4-year degree. That's the last thing you would want to have happened to you. But if it happens to any of you pharmacy newbies, don't say we didn't warn you. To add to insult to injury, many of my classmates would have pursued a different profession had they knew this was coming. We even had a couple first-year students drop out when they realized that they couldn't even land an intern pharmacist position.
So you think pharmacy's going to be totally saturated and we're not going to find any jobs with our huge loans? :rolleyes:

OK, just wanted to make sure I read you both right the first, second and third times...

I thought MAYBE, just MAYBE, that when I came back from Seattle the blahblahblah ZOMG sky is falling convos would die down a bit. Guess MY head is in the clouds...lol

As I learned this past weekend, it is all about the networking and who you know (of course, you DO have to be competent and motivated as well- that should be a given...I think.). Just doing a bit of socializing gets you into the right crowd and BAM! You have opportunity right there on your doorstep. I speak from experience. So, the whining ("fearmongering"?) really should stop. You wanna be a "clinical" pharmacist with a lot of recognition/prestige? Be prepared to bust your ass. Where you go to school will matter to a certain extent (most likely regionally and when it comes to residencies) but, overall, being a great pharmacist isn't all about the 4.0 badass from UCSF... It is about how personable you are, how well you convey information, your desire for learning, motivation, hard work, and your ability to adapt and be flexible. Getting your head out of your own arse would be the first step, IMO.

No kidding! The pharmacists I meet aren't nearly as negative about pharmacy as a profession as all the whiners on this board. In fact, they're pretty positive overall. I can't figure out the disconnect.

No kidding! The pharmacists I meet aren't nearly as negative about pharmacy as a profession as all the whiners on this board. In fact, they're pretty positive overall. I can't figure out the disconnect.

The disconnect is derived from the fact that they're not unhappy/negative, therefore have no reason to seek a forum in which to express such displeasure.

The pharmacists you know have probably been pharmacists for many years. No doubt they enjoy their job, salary, etc.

Seems like quite a few of the negative statements on here come from people who either are about to graduate or recently graduated. It makes sense in a way. It is a stressful time, looking for work and feeling like you are drowning in debt. Debt is temporary though, and the job market is not as bad as some would have you believe. And some people would complain about the taxes if they won the lottery.

I call BS on this.

A rat? I haven't seen a rat yet! Please post a picture.

We're testing a new spam filter.

Wait: I know, I know!!!
it is a daydreaming pre-pharmer who thinks he/she is going to get the gazillion dollar job offer when they graduate while still a P1.

Hopefully you have a thread killer here. :D

Here you go, picture it dancing. Well dancing or bobing up and down. I think thats how rats dance?

It's a little dancing rat, I will try to get a pic but the screen flashes pretty quick.
ry%3D400

omg, he's adorable. If he had a wheel, I would just die.

The pharmacists that you've met already graduated years ago and already have jobs. No duh! Of course, they're going to be positive. My post was directed towards pre-pharm students, not pharmacists who have already been working for years. =P

If you talk to a 4th year pharmacy student (especially ones who haven't found a job), you will get a completely different story. It's no wonder why you can't figure out the disconnect.

The pharmacists that you've met already graduated years ago and already have jobs. No duh! Of course, they're going to be positive. My post was directed towards pre-pharm students, not pharmacists who have already been working for years. =P

If you talk to a 4th year pharmacy student (especially ones who haven't found a job), you will get a completely different story. It's no wonder why you can't figure out the disconnect.

Not sure where you go to school, but 3Ps / new grads at/from my school are not having trouble finding employment.

That's a great question, Passion. Placement last year of graduating P4s was still 100% around here.

And while you demonize the pharmacy schools and say how much they don't care blah blah... what are we supposed to do? It's not like there's any other way for people who want to practice pharmacy to actually do that.

That's a rather interesting conclusion from incorrect data. :laugh: I do meet recent graduates, quite often, in fact. Duh! (funny, haven't heard duh in quite a while)

Not sure where you go to school, but 3Ps / new grads at/from my school are not having trouble finding employment.

Why do you always let facts stand in the way of a good story?

My DM at CVS asked me about this. Specifically he asked what people on campus were saying about the job market. I told him the talk was very negative. He laughed. He asked what year I was in so I told him second. He told me he would be happy to write me an offer letter in my third year (apparently CVS likes to get commitments in the third year) if I wanted it. He seemed genuinely surprised that I would even ask him about a job after graduation. All the talk about the difficulty finding a job - I just haven't seen it. :shrug:

Sadly my hospital can't promise me a job that far out, it will just depend on what the conditions are once I graduate. I like CVS enough to work their, but I love my hospital as much as it is possible to love a job. I really hope they can offer me something.:xf:

Last edited:
That's a rather interesting conclusion from incorrect data. :laugh: I do meet recent graduates, quite often, in fact. Duh! (funny, haven't heard duh in quite a while)

Apparently, you're either too naive or ignorant with what's really happening with the pharmacy profession.

Why do you always let facts stand in the way of a good story?

My DM at CVS asked me about this. Specifically he asked what people on campus were saying about the job market. I told him the talk was very negative. He laughed. He asked what year I was in so I told him second. He told me he would be happy to write me an offer letter in my third year (apparently CVS likes to get commitments in the third year) if I wanted it. He seemed genuinely supervised that I would even ask him about a job after graduation. All the talk about the difficulty finding a job - I just haven't seen it. :shrug:

Sadly my hospital can't promise me a job that far out, it will just depend on what the conditions are once I graduate. I like CVS enough to work their, but I love my hospital as much as it is possible to love a job. I really hope they can offer me something.:xf:

Not surprised that your hospital won't hire you. CVS has the highest turnover rate. Gee, I wonder why?