My application has been complete for >3 months what should I do???

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by redherring, Nov 23, 2000.

1. redherring

redherring Member

Hello, my application has been complete for >3 months at the schools that I am applying to, what should I do? These schools are private, out-of-state for me, have non-rolling admissions, and are well-known. I am thinking of writing and/or calling, but is this a good idea or am I just being another paranoid premed, thanks ahead of time.
    I am talking in terms of hearing about interview invites, I know that my app is complete and in review.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Senior Member

If you have not done so, I would definately call and ask about the status of your application. Some schools do not like phone calls, however if it has been 3 months, it is worth the try.

On the other hand, I have known schools to actually write down the number of times an applicant calls. So, I would at least call once to make sure they have all the information. It could be, as in the case of one of my applications, they may not have all the letters of rec yet. In that case, you may need to put some pressure on the individual who's letter they are waiting for.

Good luck!

~Pegasus~

4. redherring

redherring Member

Thanks Pegasus,
    I call and ask about my status but it's always the same, "In review". Only problem is its been in review for over 3 months now.
    I know I should probably write these schools off as rejections but they have non-rolling admissions so I still have some chance, right.

5. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY

Attending Physician
    Why not write an "update" letter of what you have been doing since you sent in your secondaries? It got me two interviews..Let the ad com's know that you are very interested in their school.
    Schedule a visit with the school too...I did that...and the day before my visit...they changed my meeting with the dean of admissions to an interview invite instead....
    What have you got to lose?

6. Hey Yosh

I was considering to write a letter, can you give me an example of what you wrote. The only thing I could write is how my grades have improved this semester and how I'm working harder in school. Any advice???? Thanks [​IMG]

7. Since I am obviously procrastinating on finishing this research paper, I thought I'd throw my two cents in here as well...

Go ahead and update them on your activities, make sure your app is complete etc. Nothing wrong with showing your interest (unless of course your postman has taken out a restraining order on you).

Be a bit careful about watching the clock though...I'm a 4th year now and I STILL haven't heard from some schools I applied to 5 years ago! I guess this means I didn't get in, eh? [​IMG]