My Awesome Indian Medical College Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikeindia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, guys. I have seen way too much bashing on India on this thread to just sit back and listen. So, I am here to put a positive spin on the issue and talk you you about my TRUE and REAL experience of going to India.

Let me start off by saying that I was born and raised in America, but I am fluent in Hindi. When I was a senior in high school a few years ago, I was thinking about going to India. And, I came onto this thread, and, after listening to everyone talking about how bad it was, I decided to stay. I went to a "supposed amazing" and top rated UC school (name not disclosed on purpose) in America. I thought it was going to be an awesome experience, because I had worked hard my entire life and thought that this was the moment to prove myself and go to an even better medical school.

Well, I was wrong. I went to the UC school, and people made fun of me for studying too much and not enjoying life. The funny thing here is that I interned as a coach for a football team, and I had a freshman research program with a professor (I was allowed to conduct research as a freshman, because I was a finalist for USABO, and I proved myself in high school). Some people also made fun of my Indianness (even though I never lived in India!!). Every time I used to eat curry or Biryani in the basement of my dorm, people used to tell me that they hate Indian food. Now, many people were extremely nice to me, and I was well- respected by the professors, but the few people who were not "nice" ruined my time there. I would be pressured into joining a fraternity, and, when I did, I would be asked to DRINK alcohol to join it. WHAT IN THE WORLD!!! My personal choice is to not drink alcohol ever in my life, and this sudden pressure on me to drink alcohol is terrible.

This was not the only thing bad about the college I went to. There was an pressure put on by everyone's actions to "get it on with the opposite sex" in order to fit in with the group when I clearly wanted to save myself for marriage. The dorms were extremely small, and I had a huge problem with my roommate who brought drugs into the room. I decided not to complain because of the fear of being ostracized. However, he was caught by campus police after first semester of my freshman year because of possession.

But, despite of this, I did extremely well in college in my first year (almost had a perfect GPA), but I hated my life. I couldn't bear to conform to this overly narrow minded culture. Now, I am not saying it is all bad. I loved the professors, and I loved the facilities, but I hated everything else. I am also not saying that every American college is like this. I am just speaking from my personal experience.

So, I decided to move to India after Freshman year. And, I found it to be awesome. The professors were extremely helpful, but they were also strict. This was certainly not my American college where the faculty lets the students "get it on with the girls" in the dorms or drink alcohol in the name of a "fraternity." This was mostly cut from the school I went to, and I was given a positive environment to learn. I also had a SINGLE room WITHOUT a roommate. This room was much bigger than my American dorm, and I was also given a bathroom for myself. Compared to America, however, the facilities were not as modern, but the amount of clinical experience I got is unheard of anywhere in America. So, here is the big question: How did I do?

Even though it was hard to get used to India at first ( read other threads to find out the reasons why), after my first year ( in which I was middle of the class in rank), I got the hang of it. I consistently came in the top five in rank in all of the exams that were held, and, in the final theoretical exam in second year, I was first in my class. I forgot to include this before, but I was a bit ostracized by the students and some professors for paying my way into the college, and I don't blame the students for ostracizing me. If someone payed their way into Harvard, and I worked my behind off to go to Harvard, I would be pretty pissed too. But, after they found out that I could beat them in rank, they chilled and started coming to me for some of the questions they had (haha).

Some people might have legitimate reasons for not coming to India. But, some reasons that people have are legitimately stupid. Like: Is it hard? Yeah, genius, it is medical school. In India, all you have to do is study! You don't have to build up your resume with extracurricular activities and research and be well rounded. You just have to study. There is plenty of time to experience the culture in India and love your experience if you study. You don't have to study all night or all day. You have to study more efficiently than the guy next to you. People who say it is harder in India than in America to do well don't know what they are talking about. In America, the goal for many people is to get into JHU or Harvard or some other med school. For that: you need to study extremely hard to get good grades, take the MCAT and do extremely well, do high quality research, save some people with your research, and be involved in Extracurricular activities. For getting into a good MD school in India or be considered the best by the peers all need to do is: (drumroll) study!

You have to realize that many people who go to India are people who don't want to take the risk going to college in America. There are not may good students going to India. Many people are afraid that they will not get into medical school in America and go to India. I actually had tremendous confidence that I could do extremely well in America, and I did do extremely well. And, when I went to India, I saw the American kids watch TV and the computer for hours and hours without actually STUDYING!! Now, that might have got you a high school diploma, but that will get you nowhere in college.

Today, I am back in America (my true home) for the USMLE. And, I am looking at good UC colleges for residency (and,honestly, I will have no problems getting into residency with the practice scores I am getting). Now, you might ask yourself why I am back in America when I hated my college time here. The only thing I dislike about America is the Undergraduate experience. The med school experience is much different as people are more mature and intelligent about their decisions. They are also much less narrow minded. In other words, the people I will go to Med school with are the cream of the crop.

People in America spend large amounts of money to experience the culture of India by studying abroad and living there for a semester or two. But, I got to experience one of the most diverse and beautiful places in the world by actually studying there and experiencing the culture, the same culture my ancestors experienced. India is not one thing. It is many things rolled up into a ball. I can talk about eating McDonalds in a city. I can talk about eating chicken curry in a small town. And, I can talk about eating masala dosa in a small village. I can talk about the beautiful greenery of the village or the hustle and bustle of the city. I can talk about the many traditions that are present.

I loved my time there. I challenged myself, and I spent 6 years in an amazing country. I would like to go back after residency and work there for a few years.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, guys. I have seen way too much bashing on India on this thread to just sit back and listen. So, I am here to put a positive spin on the issue and talk you you about my TRUE and REAL experience of going to India.

Let me start off by saying that I was born and raised in America, but I am fluent in Hindi. When I was a senior in high school a few years ago, I was thinking about going to India. And, I came onto this thread, and, after listening to everyone talking about how bad it was, I decided to stay. I went to a "supposed amazing" and top rated UC school (name not disclosed on purpose) in America. I thought it was going to be an awesome experience, because I had worked hard my entire life and thought that this was the moment to prove myself and go to an even better medical school.

Well, I was wrong. I went to the UC school, and people made fun of me for studying too much and not enjoying life. The funny thing here is that I interned as a coach for a football team, and I had a freshman research program with a professor (I was allowed to conduct research as a freshman, because I was a finalist for USABO, and I proved myself in high school). Some people also made fun of my Indianness (even though I never lived in India!!). Every time I used to eat curry or Biryani in the basement of my dorm, people used to tell me that they hate Indian food. Now, many people were extremely nice to me, and I was well- respected by the professors, but the few people who were not "nice" ruined my time there. I would be pressured into joining a fraternity, and, when I did, I would be asked to DRINK alcohol to join it. WHAT IN THE WORLD!!! My personal choice is to not drink alcohol ever in my life, and this sudden pressure on me to drink alcohol is terrible.

This was not the only thing bad about the college I went to. There was an pressure put on by everyone's actions to "get it on with the opposite sex" in order to fit in with the group when I clearly wanted to save myself for marriage. The dorms were extremely small, and I had a huge problem with my roommate who brought drugs into the room. I decided not to complain because of the fear of being ostracized. However, he was caught by campus police after first semester of my freshman year because of possession.

But, despite of this, I did extremely well in college in my first year (almost had a perfect GPA), but I hated my life. I couldn't bear to conform to this overly narrow minded culture. Now, I am not saying it is all bad. I loved the professors, and I loved the facilities, but I hated everything else. I am also not saying that every American college is like this. I am just speaking from my personal experience.

So, I decided to move to India after Freshman year. And, I found it to be awesome. The professors were extremely helpful, but they were also strict. This was certainly not my American college where the faculty lets the students "get it on with the girls" in the dorms or drink alcohol in the name of a "fraternity." This was mostly cut from the school I went to, and I was given a positive environment to learn. I also had a SINGLE room WITHOUT a roommate. This room was much bigger than my American dorm, and I was also given a bathroom for myself. Compared to America, however, the facilities were not as modern, but the amount of clinical experience I got is unheard of anywhere in America. So, here is the big question: How did I do?

Even though it was hard to get used to India at first ( read other threads to find out the reasons why), after my first year ( in which I was middle of the class in rank), I got the hang of it. I consistently came in the top five in rank in all of the exams that were held, and, in the final theoretical exam in second year, I was first in my class. I forgot to include this before, but I was a bit ostracized by the students and some professors for paying my way into the college, and I don't blame the students for ostracizing me. If someone payed their way into Harvard, and I worked my behind off to go to Harvard, I would be pretty pissed too. But, after they found out that I could beat them in rank, they chilled and started coming to me for some of the questions they had (haha).

Some people might have legitimate reasons for not coming to India. But, some reasons that people have are legitimately stupid. Like: Is it hard? Yeah, genius, it is medical school. In India, all you have to do is study! You don't have to build up your resume with extracurricular activities and research and be well rounded. You just have to study. There is plenty of time to experience the culture in India and love your experience if you study. You don't have to study all night or all day. You have to study more efficiently than the guy next to you. People who say it is harder in India than in America to do well don't know what they are talking about. In America, the goal for many people is to get into JHU or Harvard or some other med school. For that: you need to study extremely hard to get good grades, take the MCAT and do extremely well, do high quality research, save some people with your research, and be involved in Extracurricular activities. For getting into a good MD school in India or be considered the best by the peers all need to do is: (drumroll) study!

You have to realize that many people who go to India are people who don't want to take the risk going to college in America. There are not may good students going to India. Many people are afraid that they will not get into medical school in America and go to India. I actually had tremendous confidence that I could do extremely well in America, and I did do extremely well. And, when I went to India, I saw the American kids watch TV and the computer for hours and hours without actually STUDYING!! Now, that might have got you a high school diploma, but that will get you nowhere in college.

Today, I am back in America (my true home) for the USMLE. And, I am looking at good UC colleges for residency (and,honestly, I will have no problems getting into residency with the practice scores I am getting). Now, you might ask yourself why I am back in America when I hated my college time here. The only thing I dislike about America is the Undergraduate experience. The med school experience is much different as people are more mature and intelligent about their decisions. They are also much less narrow minded. In other words, the people I will go to Med school with are the cream of the crop.

People in America spend large amounts of money to experience the culture of India by studying abroad and living there for a semester or two. But, I got to experience one of the most diverse and beautiful places in the world by actually studying there and experiencing the culture, the same culture my ancestors experienced. India is not one thing. It is many things rolled up into a ball. I can talk about eating McDonalds in a city. I can talk about eating chicken curry in a small town. And, I can talk about eating masala dosa in a small village. I can talk about the beautiful greenery of the village or the hustle and bustle of the city. I can talk about the many traditions that are present.

I loved my time there. I challenged myself, and I spent 6 years in an amazing country. I would like to go back after residency and work there for a few years.

None of the UC colleges accept IMGs. They publish their resident list, not a single one for IM at least graduated from a non-US medical school. Congrats on being top of your class, and adapting. I find it a bit odd that you were born and raised in America and you found it shocking that American colleges encourage you to drink alcohol and meet girls. Its definitely easy to find people who share your same interests, especially at a UC i'm sure tons of students study in the library, either way whats done is done, congrats on your success.

Reactions: 1 user
well, I have met a few friends who have graduated from a medical college India and are currently doing residency in UC schools. Can you show me the website where it says that UC schools don't take IMG's?

And, the fact that people in American colleges drink alcohol and "get frisky" with the girls ( not just meet them) is not unknown or shocking. The part that was so immature and shocking was the fact that, in a top school praised for its academics, many people look down upon someone who doesn't do those things. Isn't it wrong or, at least, partly immature to disrupt someone's right to be by ostracizing them? And, yeah, sure, many people in the library study, but most of them also party, and, if you don't like to involved with that sort of culture, should you be labeled as an outsider?

BTW, did you go to college in India? Or, did you attend college in America?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's cool to read a different perspective than everything else here, on Indian medical education! I disagree with your generalizations though. I find it hard to believe that you couldn't surround yourself with like-minded people in a university as diverse as a UC. And personally, I think learning to associate with others is essential, and is what's great about American universities. It doesn't mean that you do things you don't want to, or that you can't stand up for yourself, too. I think it's just a matter of trying. Plus aren't there plenty of cultural organizations on campus?

Let it be clear that this thread is about MY experience at ONE school out of the many schools here in the United States, and I am not generalizing that every school is like the school I went to.

When you are thinking about my story, think about the stories of the kids who went to India for an education. Many people come on here saying that the students in India looked down upon NRI's, and they talk about how hard it was emotionally to be in that type of environment. Sure, they could "surround" themselves "with like-minded" NRI's and hang out with them for their entire college life, couldn't they? I think that all of the Americans who write badly about India because they were discriminated against could be asked the same thing: "I find it hard to believe that you couldn't surround yourself with like-minded people in a university filled with NRI's like Manipal or KIMS or some other place. And personally, I think learning to associate with others is essential, and is what's great about Indian universities is that there are NRI's just like you who go there. Plus aren't other NRI's and your relatives there to give you support?"

Phrasing the question this way might elucidate you on the subject as a person will, nevertheless, feel discriminated by many groups even though they are accepted by a small group. But, in a practical/real life situation, how much can someone really distance themselves from that type of environment when the people you live with (i.e.: my roommate) look at you like you don't belong? Do you ignore them. Do you ignore the people in your hall or people in your class just because you have cultural organizations with like minded people you can participate in after classes? If you can, then all of the NRI's here complaining about CULTURE SHOCK in India should've just lived with and only spoken with other NRI's. I am just trying to make a point that my decision to leave my UC school for Undergraduate was the best decision for me.

Again, I want to emphasize that this is one experience in many of the experiences that take place in colleges. And, it is by no means representative of American colleges or even undergraduate colleges as a whole. I am sure millions of people who are graduating today from US undergrad colleges would feel completely different than how I feel about the subject.

When you are thinking about my story, think about the stories of the kids who went to India for an education. Many people come on here saying that the students in India looked down upon NRI's, and they talk about how hard it was emotionally to be in that type of environment. Sure, they could "surround" themselves "with like-minded" NRI's and hang out with for their entire college life, couldn't they? I think that all of the Americans who write badly about India because they were discriminated against could be asked the same thing: "I find it hard to believe that you couldn't surround yourself with like-minded people in a university filled with NRI's like Manipal or KIMS or some other place. And personally, I think learning to associate with others is essential, and is what's great about Indian universities is that there are NRI's just like you who go there. Plus aren't other NRI's and your relatives there to give you support?"

Those situations aren't the same. Your experience at a UC in the country in which you were born and raised isn't interchangeable with an American's experience in a foreign country (usually the case?). And I do think they have less support than you would have at a UC, just because they may have to deal with problems like a language barrier, infrastructure gap, etc. If I'm wrong about any of this, I do apologize in advance.

I was also born and raised in the US, and with my own experiences and understanding I just found it a little strange that you felt so alienated in a UC in the country in which you were raised, especially considering the great diversity I would expect in a UC. I do think you'll find a broader spectrum of people in a UC than in an private med. school, due to the nature of the American demographic, and for other reasons, but again I could be totally wrong.

It's clear that you made the right decision for yourself, though! And your account is very interesting!

..., in a practical/real life situation, how much can someone really distance themselves from that type of environment when the people you live with (i.e.: my roommate) look at you like you don't belong? Do you ignore them. Do you ignore the people in your hall or people in your class just because you have cultural organizations with like minded people you can participate in after classes? If you can, then all of the NRI's here complaining about CULTURE SHOCK in India should've just lived with and only spoken with other NRI's. I am just trying to make a point that my decision to leave my UC school for Undergraduate was the best decision for me.

Well how to get along is the 64 million dollar question... One that you encounter no matter where you go? I could be wrong, you could have had as much difficulty "being accepted," by UC students as an American in India would have. I would have thought that as a student in a UC you were in a better position than an American in med school, but yeah, you're the one who went there, so I do understand what you're saying.

Well, thats great you had a good experience. But I think you're story will be more compelling after you go through the match.

I read your whole story. It is quite interesting. You can serve in India after completing your medical studies in America. There are many such doctors who hails from USA and practicing in India.