My bad impression with a dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalist

carpe diem
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

lol, what an a-hole

Each person has its own way of doing things.
Now you get this lesson, then you will know how to treat other pre-dental students in the future/when we are a dentist.

Dont let a single dentist get u head down. There are plenty great dentists around. My feeling is that the older or more experienced they are, the stronger bond they grow with their patients. Thus, their patients are more likely to get disturbed from other students shadowing. In addition, they have so many stories and experience to share. The experience is inbelievable.

Wish u all the best on your second try.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a very odd story. Did he really think that shadowing a dentist only requires 3 minutes? If I were you, Id use the phone book and call dentists to ask to observe rather than doing walk-ins. It will save you time and spare you from bizzare incidents.

But I really hope he wasn't sizing you up to see if you were worthy enough to observe him. The only thing I can think of was that he didn't think it through when he said 'yes' and then regretted it when you were actually observing.

to Dentalist:

In private-practice environments sometimes patients and dentists are apprehensive about somebody looking over their shoulder.

What you might also try is going to a place where observing is ENCOURAGED-- Such as at the dental department of a teaching hospital. Sign up as a hospital volunteer and tell them you want to volunteer at one of the dental departments (Peds, OMFS, general dentistry, etc. if the hospital has them).

Good luck.