my basic science grades suck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Reborn24

if im ranked dead last in class for my basic science grades, how badly would that affect my chances of getting a decent residency if do well in on step 1 and clinical years

Members don't see this ad.

Weirdoc said:
if im ranked dead last in class for my basic science grades, how badly would that affect my chances of getting a decent residency if do well in on step 1 and clinical years

What's your step 1 score? And what do you mean by decent residency? Most residencies are decent.

Seeing as you appear to be in your spring semester of M1 year, I would think that this is a situation that can still be rectified since you still have 60% or so of your basic sciences left.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey a pass is a pass whether you are bottom of the barrel or the top of the pass cutoff-you passed right. And some of the best students who scored highest including me, on step 1, were run of the mill, all pass kinda students-OHY WAIT! i honored histology!! haha but other than that i honored NOTHING over 2 years but scored 3rd highest in my class on step and finding during third year I have a solid clinical knowledge and am doing well. I always studied more to learn and understand rather than memorize which is why i didnt do hot in first 2 years (except like i said histo-since it was my first med school class and i was all gung ho on honoring) until i realized Honor=memorize
pass=learn so i opted for choice 2 no worries

Weirdoc said:

Hi there,
It depends on what specialty you are attempting to enter. You need to have some fairly good rankings to get into the competitive specialties like Derm etc. and a good USMLE score will not negate a mediocre basic science performance. You can greatly help yourself by doing well during your clinical years and making good political contacts. Sometimes getting into a good residency slot is quite political in terms of your department chair making a phone call or two to praise your clinical skills.

My class had 100% match so even the person who was ranked last, got into a residency. Now your definition of "decent" may be more or less competitive but do the best you can from here on out.

njbmd :)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
It depends on what specialty you are attempting to enter. You need to have some fairly good rankings to get into the competitive specialties like Derm etc. and a good USMLE score will not negate a mediocre basic science performance. You can greatly help yourself by doing well during your clinical years and making good political contacts. Sometimes getting into a good residency slot is quite political in terms of your department chair making a phone call or two to praise your clinical skills.

My class had 100% match so even the person who was ranked last, got into a residency. Now your definition of "decent" may be more or less competitive but do the best you can from here on out.

njbmd :)

That would suck since so many schools don't have preclinical grades. We had lackluster preclinical people get awesome residencies (we don't have preclin grades). They did well clinically and at least decently on boards I guess (don't talk about this at my school our avg is usually around 226).