Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

My best acceptance so far.....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Harps, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

I waited and waited and waited for this one....

Finally...wooohooo....UCSF.....:love: :love:

I apologize for starting this thread, but this is the only one I will start in the pre-allo forum....

Thanks to everyone here....who has given invaluable advice, inspiration, and love....

All of you pre-meds out there....follow your heart....it'll lead you on the road to personal success.....I am proof of this....

This acceptance is dedicated to all those who helped me on SDN...thanks a bunch!:)

-Harps

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. medhopeful08

medhopeful08 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

congrats harps!

are you going to UCSF??

3. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

Now, it's between Harvard and UCSF....

Have you made a decision?

-Harps

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. :clap: :clap: :clap:

i just might be at the white coat ceremony with you if i'm accepted to the JMP (fingers crossed).

:clap:

5. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

I hope you get into JMP, DK. It'll be cool to finally meet ya....

Good luck....sending some positive vibes to ya for the JMP decision.

-Harps

6. TheFlash

TheFlash Playtime Is Over
    10+ Year Member

Congrats, my ballin' brown brethren. Make us proud in CA or MA. :)

7. medhopeful08

7+ Year Member

I'm also deciding between the two =).

8. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

I sure will, brutha....sure will.

I don't about the ballin' part...sure am brown though:laugh:

-Harps

9. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

Stanford can make the decision between two helluva a lot easy....for now....I am just gonna live it up during finals..hahahah......yup....I am gonna be studying :(

-Harps

10. medhopeful08

7+ Year Member

you would choose stanford over ucsf/harvard??

g'luck with finals!

11. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

Thanks!

I am not 100% about chosing Stanford. It has its perks: financial aid, weather, town atmosphere, housing.....

Which one would you chose?

-Harps

12. Legend123

Legend123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I will strongly recommend you to pick StanFurd over UCSF, cause I need that spot brother, Congrats :clap: :clap:

13. trying

trying Member
    7+ Year Member

To Harps, and all others who have those acceptances, a big congrats!!!!!!!

Harps, I tried PMing you, but your box is full. I just had a few quick questions.

- trying

14. camstah

camstah running thru dandelions
    7+ Year Member

congrats Harps!!! whichever school you pick is an awesome choice!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

15. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

When I was at Stanford, I got a sense that they're really good at giving out money so people will choose them over UCSF.

Also, the revised curriculum will be much better. Although my tour guides say the environment's not competitive at all (P/F system), I got the guts feeling that most people are interested in Neurology/surgery/academic medicine. And I just felt a bit out-of place.

If I were given the choice, I think eventually i'd have picked UCSF, although I really love the Stanford campus, and the resource available at its other professional schools.

16. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

congrats!

you must have had amazing stats?! (your signature is all jacked up man).:clap: :clap:

17. sistahnik

sistahnik Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    congrats on the acceptances!! you guys make it seem so easy to obtain. enjoy the excitement. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

18. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

Congratulations. I'm still on hold for an interview there and I think if it's similar to last year, I still have a 10% chance of being interviewed so there's hope! :p

19. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    rock on Harps!! you're the man :clap: :clap: :clap:

20. sinnah83

sinnah83 Member
    7+ Year Member

Congratulations Harps! I am sure (considering your other acceptances) that Stanford too will come through. When did you interview at Stanford?

21. rager1

rager1 Anatomy-be-gone
    7+ Year Member

Congrats! :) That's awesome!

22. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    damn harps...you kickass man.

tho out of all three...id pick ucsf. you cant beat the bay area and the city.

23. Biffer

Biffer The good times doc
    10+ Year Member

Harps,
    I've been following recent threads and can't help but recognize you're overwhelming ownership/domination of the med admissions game-- its unlike anything I've seen or heard of on these threads or among my most competitive classmates. I have classmates who have hit the 4.0/40 mark or damn near yet are still not as well received by adcoms--i might add that these folks were not hermits. Needless to say, I am impressed, but whats more, I am really really curious as to your background (unfortunatley, anyone this good must be referenced as a model) I've concluded that you're at the very least a terribly charming/handsome fellow and most likely the proud owner of astronomical mcat scores. Research? Experience abroad? Dangerous liaisons w/profs? tour de france victory?

let us in bro,
    biff

24. DrJ2B

DrJ2B Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Congrats to Harps and everyone else who has gotten an acceptance! I would love to be in your shoes. I hope I get an acceptance soon! :)

25. hey are you sure about this, citygirl has said that interviews are over this week for sure.

26. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

No, I'm not sure but I'm clinging on to that 10% chance for as long as I can! (That's a 10% chance for an interview--I'm sure after the interview, I'd have a 1 in 3 shot or something of getting in so it's like a 3% chance of actually getting in.)

27. linus

linus fly tux.
    7+ Year Member

I think we all want to know his secret.

Congrats Harps :clap: :clap: ... you're making the rest of us South Asians look bad though :p

28. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah. im so proud of harps. im just dieing to know though who he is, his backgorund, etc. so that i can be like him. i also had a friend with a 4.0/40. he went on to ucsf. he got rejected pre-interview at stanford.

you must be amazing. please please share with us...:wow:

29. linus

linus fly tux.
    7+ Year Member

lol, this is getting weird now.

30. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

Hey trying,
    I cleaned my PM box :)

-Harps

31. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the input, CalBeE. I"ll keep the "resources" and "curriculum" in mind when chosing. :)

I hope NU and Columbia work out. :)
    Otherwise, enjoy your experience in the beautiful So.Cal weather.......

-Harps

32. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

Hey Docmemi,
    I changed it cause some ppl were insinuating that I was indirectly being arrogant about my acceptances....especially one poster...whose signature reads something like "I don't have a signature...bite me" > He had also posted that those who post ALL their acceptances are superficial pricks..hehehehe :)

-Harps

33. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

Good luck, bro. Hoping that you get an interview and an eventual acceptance :)

-Harps

34. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

Thanks, bro...and thank you for hosting me. :)

-Harps

35. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed during the first week of March.

-Harps

36. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

Needless to say, I am impressed, but whats more, I am really really curious as to your background (unfortunatley, anyone this good must be referenced as a model) I've concluded that you're at the very least a terribly charming/handsome fellow and most likely the proud owner of astronomical mcat scores.

:laugh: I am definitely not a model....I believe this honor should go to Habari. That guy rocked the MSTP circuit last year...DW can vouch for that.

Handsome?? hmmm....not really...hhahaha

Charming?? hmmmm....I was on the oxford debate team in high school....I can articulate my philosophy of medicine decently...but am flexible that if an adcom disagrees...I am open to a change in my views in light of the fact that adcoms are generally more experienced. This does not mean I cannot hold my ground. So, I don't know if this is charming or not....here's what an adcom told me once...

"In medicine, one must be accomplished, but humble." How one projects that humility is really personal....

Background: Fairly normal stuff....sibling in medical school...middle class family....Indian (or ORM as some say)....nice guy, though. I don't think most people dislike me :)

Research?

Yes, started in high school...about 5 years of hard biochem. stuff.

Experience abroad?
    None!

Dangerous liaisons w/profs?
    Hmmmm....don't wanna go there...hehehe

tour de france victory?
    only if I was as motivated and talented as Armstrong...one of my role models btw....i think every person should own a copy of It's not about the bike....AWESOME book.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey Biff,
    That was a funny post. I am fortunate....seriously guys......there's an element of luck, which I cannot deny. I am certainly no GQ model (that sounds funny) or a charming Harvard graduate.
    In fact, at most of my interviews....I felt so so average....cause there would be other Indians from MIT, Yale, Stanford...

Sorry guys, I don't have much of secret cause I myself don't know why I have gotten these acceptances.

There are other people on these boards, like JulianCrane, who have more high-powered acceptances than me. I think he got into Harvard, Columbia, and Cornell.

Sorry, I started this thread which made people think I was a hot-shot...

The true superstars are lurking on these boards...heheheh

Good luck everyone and best wishes.

-Harps

37. omar06

omar06 Member
    7+ Year Member

Congrats man....

Omar

"..Punjabi munda pao bhangra...."
    Sukhbir

38. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

no secrets huh. darn it. im assuming u had amazing stats then and some great EC's to go with it. a great cadidate overall.

39. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Your friend's situation is not unheard of I think. Stanford has a strong focus in looking for academic physicians or what they consider as leaders in medicine. UCSF, however, has a stronger focus in clinical care. However, both schools seem to like non-traditional applicants (Maybe feel that they have more life experience).

This is second hand feedback, but someone who attends Stanford actually complains that the curriculum doesn't have enough clinical applications. With the revised curriculum, things should have got better.

I'm not saying your friend definitely falls under UCSF's mission but not Stanford's, but this may help us neuronic applicants find some patterns in the unpredictable process.

40. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

Oye bale bale...

-Harps