• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

    Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

    JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

    Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

    LEARN MORE

My best acceptance so far.....

Harps

Jatt Denominator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2002
1,208
2
0
39
CA
I waited and waited and waited for this one....

Finally...wooohooo....UCSF.....:love: :love:

I apologize for starting this thread, but this is the only one I will start in the pre-allo forum....

Thanks to everyone here....who has given invaluable advice, inspiration, and love....


All of you pre-meds out there....follow your heart....it'll lead you on the road to personal success.....I am proof of this....


This acceptance is dedicated to all those who helped me on SDN...thanks a bunch!:)

-Harps
 
About the Ads

Harps

Jatt Denominator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2002
1,208
2
0
39
CA
Originally posted by DoctorKevin
:clap: :clap: :clap:

i just might be at the white coat ceremony with you if i'm accepted to the JMP (fingers crossed).

:clap:

I hope you get into JMP, DK. It'll be cool to finally meet ya....

Good luck....sending some positive vibes to ya for the JMP decision.

-Harps
 
About the Ads

CalBeE

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
2,062
1
0
When I was at Stanford, I got a sense that they're really good at giving out money so people will choose them over UCSF.

Also, the revised curriculum will be much better. Although my tour guides say the environment's not competitive at all (P/F system), I got the guts feeling that most people are interested in Neurology/surgery/academic medicine. And I just felt a bit out-of place.

If I were given the choice, I think eventually i'd have picked UCSF, although I really love the Stanford campus, and the resource available at its other professional schools.
 

Biffer

The good times doc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2001
328
0
201
philly
Harps,
I've been following recent threads and can't help but recognize you're overwhelming ownership/domination of the med admissions game-- its unlike anything I've seen or heard of on these threads or among my most competitive classmates. I have classmates who have hit the 4.0/40 mark or damn near yet are still not as well received by adcoms--i might add that these folks were not hermits. Needless to say, I am impressed, but whats more, I am really really curious as to your background (unfortunatley, anyone this good must be referenced as a model) I've concluded that you're at the very least a terribly charming/handsome fellow and most likely the proud owner of astronomical mcat scores. Research? Experience abroad? Dangerous liaisons w/profs? tour de france victory?

let us in bro,
biff
 
About the Ads
Originally posted by Alexander99
Congratulations. I'm still on hold for an interview there and I think if it's similar to last year, I still have a 10% chance of being interviewed so there's hope! :p

hey are you sure about this, citygirl has said that interviews are over this week for sure.
 

Alexander99

Ghetto Fabulous
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2003
2,361
0
0
San Diego
Originally posted by DoctorKevin
hey are you sure about this, citygirl has said that interviews are over this week for sure.

No, I'm not sure but I'm clinging on to that 10% chance for as long as I can! (That's a 10% chance for an interview--I'm sure after the interview, I'd have a 1 in 3 shot or something of getting in so it's like a 3% chance of actually getting in.)
 

linus

fly tux.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
162
0
0
Originally posted by Biffer
I've concluded that you're at the very least a terribly charming/handsome fellow and most likely the proud owner of astronomical mcat scores. Research? Experience abroad? Dangerous liaisons w/profs? tour de france victory?

let us in bro,
biff

I think we all want to know his secret.

Congrats Harps :clap: :clap: ... you're making the rest of us South Asians look bad though :p
 

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
1,494
3
0
Los Angeles, Calif.
Originally posted by Biffer
Harps,
I've been following recent threads and can't help but recognize you're overwhelming ownership/domination of the med admissions game-- its unlike anything I've seen or heard of on these threads or among my most competitive classmates. I have classmates who have hit the 4.0/40 mark or damn near yet are still not as well received by adcoms--i might add that these folks were not hermits. Needless to say, I am impressed, but whats more, I am really really curious as to your background (unfortunatley, anyone this good must be referenced as a model) I've concluded that you're at the very least a terribly charming/handsome fellow and most likely the proud owner of astronomical mcat scores. Research? Experience abroad? Dangerous liaisons w/profs? tour de france victory?

let us in bro,
biff

yeah. im so proud of harps. im just dieing to know though who he is, his backgorund, etc. so that i can be like him. i also had a friend with a 4.0/40. he went on to ucsf. he got rejected pre-interview at stanford.

you must be amazing. please please share with us...:wow:
 

Harps

Jatt Denominator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2002
1,208
2
0
39
CA
Originally posted by CalBeE
When I was at Stanford, I got a sense that they're really good at giving out money so people will choose them over UCSF.

Also, the revised curriculum will be much better. Although my tour guides say the environment's not competitive at all (P/F system), I got the guts feeling that most people are interested in Neurology/surgery/academic medicine. And I just felt a bit out-of place.

If I were given the choice, I think eventually i'd have picked UCSF, although I really love the Stanford campus, and the resource available at its other professional schools.

Thanks for the input, CalBeE. I"ll keep the "resources" and "curriculum" in mind when chosing. :)

I hope NU and Columbia work out. :)
Otherwise, enjoy your experience in the beautiful So.Cal weather.......

-Harps
 

Harps

Jatt Denominator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2002
1,208
2
0
39
CA
Originally posted by docmemi
(your signature is all jacked up man).:clap: :clap:

Hey Docmemi,
I changed it cause some ppl were insinuating that I was indirectly being arrogant about my acceptances....especially one poster...whose signature reads something like "I don't have a signature...bite me" > He had also posted that those who post ALL their acceptances are superficial pricks..hehehehe :)

-Harps
 

Harps

Jatt Denominator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2002
1,208
2
0
39
CA
Originally posted by Alexander99
Congratulations. I'm still on hold for an interview there and I think if it's similar to last year, I still have a 10% chance of being interviewed so there's hope! :p

Good luck, bro. Hoping that you get an interview and an eventual acceptance :)

-Harps
 

Harps

Jatt Denominator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2002
1,208
2
0
39
CA
Needless to say, I am impressed, but whats more, I am really really curious as to your background (unfortunatley, anyone this good must be referenced as a model) I've concluded that you're at the very least a terribly charming/handsome fellow and most likely the proud owner of astronomical mcat scores.

:laugh: I am definitely not a model....I believe this honor should go to Habari. That guy rocked the MSTP circuit last year...DW can vouch for that.

Handsome?? hmmm....not really...hhahaha

Charming?? hmmmm....I was on the oxford debate team in high school....I can articulate my philosophy of medicine decently...but am flexible that if an adcom disagrees...I am open to a change in my views in light of the fact that adcoms are generally more experienced. This does not mean I cannot hold my ground. So, I don't know if this is charming or not....here's what an adcom told me once...

"In medicine, one must be accomplished, but humble." How one projects that humility is really personal....

Background: Fairly normal stuff....sibling in medical school...middle class family....Indian (or ORM as some say)....nice guy, though. I don't think most people dislike me :)


Research?

Yes, started in high school...about 5 years of hard biochem. stuff.

Experience abroad?
None!


Dangerous liaisons w/profs?
Hmmmm....don't wanna go there...hehehe



tour de france victory?
only if I was as motivated and talented as Armstrong...one of my role models btw....i think every person should own a copy of It's not about the bike....AWESOME book.




:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey Biff,
That was a funny post. I am fortunate....seriously guys......there's an element of luck, which I cannot deny. I am certainly no GQ model (that sounds funny) or a charming Harvard graduate.
In fact, at most of my interviews....I felt so so average....cause there would be other Indians from MIT, Yale, Stanford...

Sorry guys, I don't have much of secret cause I myself don't know why I have gotten these acceptances.

There are other people on these boards, like JulianCrane, who have more high-powered acceptances than me. I think he got into Harvard, Columbia, and Cornell.

Sorry, I started this thread which made people think I was a hot-shot...

The true superstars are lurking on these boards...heheheh

Good luck everyone and best wishes.

-Harps
 

CalBeE

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
2,062
1
0
Originally posted by docmemi
yeah. im so proud of harps. im just dieing to know though who he is, his backgorund, etc. so that i can be like him. i also had a friend with a 4.0/40. he went on to ucsf. he got rejected pre-interview at stanford.

you must be amazing. please please share with us...:wow:

Your friend's situation is not unheard of I think. Stanford has a strong focus in looking for academic physicians or what they consider as leaders in medicine. UCSF, however, has a stronger focus in clinical care. However, both schools seem to like non-traditional applicants (Maybe feel that they have more life experience).

This is second hand feedback, but someone who attends Stanford actually complains that the curriculum doesn't have enough clinical applications. With the revised curriculum, things should have got better.

I'm not saying your friend definitely falls under UCSF's mission but not Stanford's, but this may help us neuronic applicants find some patterns in the unpredictable process.
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.