My best chances....3.52 GPA UC BErK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiladJaffe

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to UC berkeley and im a 3rd year bio major applying this summer. Im taking the may 27 exam and taking an amazing MCAT course called the berkeley review. Their average MCAT score from there is about 31-32. Anyways. I have a 3.52 GPA (keep in mind this is UC BERKELEY where A's are hard to come by). I have 1 yr research experience in a UCSD psychiatry lab with rats where i designed many protocols. I shaddowed an orthopedic surgeon, a GP (for 2 yrs) a nephrologist (which i want to study) and a cardiologist. I got letters from the lab, the GP, the nephrologist and they are good for sure. They both recommend me without reservation and "hope to work with me once i get my sub specialty in nephrology" I also have a letter from a BIO GSI/TA cosigned by both professors, a letter from my O-chem professor (volhardt if you are curious, he wrote the main ochem textbook used today), a letter from my anatomy professor, and a letter from my physio professor (all good ones). My science GPA~cGPA

My question is, what do i have to get on the mcat to have a good chance of getting into a med school in the US. Not DO, and doesnt havto be in California. I have amazing LOR, a very good PS and pretty good EC's(besides all the shadowing, lab, I GSI'd a course in biology at berkeley meaning i was the TA grading exams and holding office hours and teaching the lab section. I worked with 2 autistic children for 2 years in a leadership program helping them learn social skills and teaching them science. I teach a tennis clinic every summer as i was ranked #10 in san diego for USTA tennis a period of time and 89 in So. Cal. I have a few others...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's really no reason for you to post pretty much the exact same question twice in a little more than a week.

There's really no reason for you to post pretty much the exact same question twice in a little more than a week.

Not the same post. Didnt ask before what MCAT i should get. Thanks Geek Girl. And no above, not a fake post. You all need to calm down and take a joke. I have the ability to have fun and be serious. Cat, YES! ALL of my shadowing is NOT passive. I personally gave anesthetic injections, wrote prescriptions, did initial patient evaluation, did and interpreted ECGs, personally conducted the blood lab work and much more when shadowing the GP. In the nephrology, i helped hook up and adjust the dialysis machines

Go for a 32+.

Didn't any of the time you spent shadowing the GPA result in helping the patients, in which case it could qualify as clinical experience? You are lacking in this crucial area.

Im confused what you mean by clinical experience. My shadowing IS clinical experience. Shadowing isnt ONLY watching, at least i my case. I actually participate in the diagnosis and lab works patient contact etc. Even making up the injections, helping to cut and remove cysts quartarizing etc/

Shadowing is a passive obeservership; you are focused on what the doctor does. Clinical experience focuses on your personal patient interaction. You'll need to carve out the hours related to each of those activites and list them separately, as both activities are expected on the application.

Shadowing is a passive obeservership; you are focused on what the doctor does. Clinical experience focuses on your personal patient interaction. You'll need to carve out the hours related to each of those activites and list them separately, as both activities are expected on the application.

So while shadowing the one doc, some would be learning. Do i separately put through the same doctor that i work clinically with his patients? Admin shots, ECG, strp tests, physicals etc?

Roughly estimate the percent time you spent doing each type of activity. You can use the same doc as contact person for both activities. Or don't put a contact person for the Shadowing (listed under "Other" and list any physicians you shadowed, if there were more than one, within the narrative.

Not the same post. Didnt ask before what MCAT i should get. Thanks Geek Girl. And no above, not a fake post. You all need to calm down and take a joke. I have the ability to have fun and be serious. Cat, YES! ALL of my shadowing is NOT passive. I personally gave anesthetic injections, wrote prescriptions, did initial patient evaluation, did and interpreted ECGs, personally conducted the blood lab work and much more when shadowing the GP. In the nephrology, i helped hook up and adjust the dialysis machines
Well, ****, man, if you already do all that, why are you bothering to go to medical school?

Last edited:
Well, ****, man, if you already do all that, why are you bothering to go to medical school?

Because im not a certified MD. The doctor i work for is a close family friend who trained me to do all that