1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

My best friend, future DO?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by isidella, Oct 10, 2002.

1. isidella

7+ Year Member

Hey all,

I need a bit of advice for my best friend. (She thinks SDN is just psycho, so she doesn't post:p ). She was shooting for an MD, though her philosophy matches closely with the DO way. She is shying away from her feelings because of her lack of DO exposure. We are from an area where there are few DOs. Consequently, she has shadowed MDs instead, has LORs from MDs and has worked in an MD's lab (and has a publication with him). She feels like her application to DO school is weak because of her overwhelming MD exposure. Her stats are VR8, PS8, BS8 with an "S" for the writing sample. She has a 3.5 GPA from Brown U. She also has alot of patient contact volunteering. Do you think she is competitive for DO schools, or are there too many strikes against her? She also plans to apply this year (is she too late-sorry I don't know the DO application process very well).

I appreciate any feedback you can give and I will pass it along.

Thanks,

Isid

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The DO application process is almost identical to the MD process. Consequently, she is late this year. She can try to still apply, but I think if she reasserts herself, learns more about osteopathic medicine, and applies next year, she will have an excellent app.

4. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!
    7+ Year Member

Given that most DO schools still accept applications until Feb 1st and will continue to interview until all spots are filled, I would say go ahead as long as she thinks that osteopathy is the philosophy that suits her. I never shadowed a DO, all of my clinical experience was in an ER and my LOR was from an MD. I got accepted not because of significant exposure to osteopathy but because I had reseached it and found it better suited for me and allopathy.