My chance for Osteo?

rgk27

May 7, 2012
    Hey guys, so I've been reading up a lot on hear and am currently studying for the MCATS to take in July. I graduated last year. My GPA was not that high, finished with a 3.26 overall. Freshman year of college killed my GPA. Since freshman year, I've been getting at least 3.54 a term. What would I need to get on the MCAT to give me a chance of being accepted into a DO school?

34 to counteract a 3.2? completely wrong. some of you people need to pay a visit to the underdog thread. Dr willy, for example got SEVERAL itnerviews with a 3.1 cum 2.96 science 33 mcat. This guy has a 3.26. Honestly aim for at least a 30, and if you get a 28 id say you're still in it.

34 to counteract a 3.26 for DO? you kidding me? lol. 3.2 isnt even THAT far from the average gpa, around .2 off. And the average mcat is 26.5. A 34 would be amazing but you would def have a chance of getting in with a significantly lower mcat.

Last edited by a moderator:
    About the Ads

Ibn Alnafis MD

10+ Year Member
    Dec 26, 2008
    Where the past and the future intersect
    forums.studentdoctor.net
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      With the proper extra-curricular activities, clinical experiences and shadowing you'll still have a good shot at US DO schools, but you'll need a solid MCAT (34+) to counteract your poor GPA. If possible, I'd suggest retaking the courses you scored most poorly in as most DO schools have a grade replacement policy that will redeem your freshman failures and make you a much more competitive applicant.

A score of 28 would suffice. 34+ is good enough for low-tier MD programs.

What do you mean by "US DO"? are there non-US DO?

angldrps

10+ Year Member
      Oct 23, 2010
      1. Medical Student
        With the proper extra-curricular activities, clinical experiences and shadowing you'll still have a good shot at US DO schools, but you'll need a solid MCAT (34+) to counteract your poor GPA. If possible, I'd suggest retaking the courses you scored most poorly in as most DO schools have a grade replacement policy that will redeem your freshman failures and make you a much more competitive applicant.

I disagree. OP's GPA is not poor by DO standards instead its only a little lower than the average GPA. a score of 28+ would make OP competitive at several schools.

Goro

10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Silver Member
        Gold Member
        Jun 11, 2010
        Somewhere west of St. Louis
        1. Non-Student
          Quite fussing; get anything >25 and you're fine.

Hey guys, so I've been reading up a lot on hear and am currently studying for the MCATS to take in July. I graduated last year. My GPA was not that high, finished with a 3.26 overall. Freshman year of college killed my GPA. Since freshman year, I've been getting at least 3.54 a term. What would I need to get on the MCAT to give me a chance of being accepted into a DO school?

That is normally true, but I have a low sGPA (3.04) and cGPA (3.23). So I am not sure which schools to apply to based on this and which schools I will have the greatest chance of acceptance

target the newer schools and any school that has regional bias for your area. Youll have a better idea once your mcat score comes in

campell, marian, and alabama the three new ones. Marian definitely, but campell will have regional bias for southeast. Alabama has unconfirmed regional bias for alabama residents. shoot for the touros, too but this really will all depend on your mcat score.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.