May 7, 2012
Status
Hey guys, so I've been reading up a lot on hear and am currently studying for the MCATS to take in July. I graduated last year. My GPA was not that high, finished with a 3.26 overall. Freshman year of college killed my GPA. Since freshman year, I've been getting at least 3.54 a term. What would I need to get on the MCAT to give me a chance of being accepted into a DO school?

zzzz
Jul 17, 2011
chillville
Status
Pre-Medical
34 to counteract a 3.2? completely wrong. some of you people need to pay a visit to the underdog thread. Dr willy, for example got SEVERAL itnerviews with a 3.1 cum 2.96 science 33 mcat. This guy has a 3.26. Honestly aim for at least a 30, and if you get a 28 id say you're still in it.

34 to counteract a 3.26 for DO? you kidding me? lol. 3.2 isnt even THAT far from the average gpa, around .2 off. And the average mcat is 26.5. A 34 would be amazing but you would def have a chance of getting in with a significantly lower mcat.

Last edited:
About the Ads

Ibn Alnafis MD

10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2008
Where the past and the future intersect
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Resident [Any Field]
With the proper extra-curricular activities, clinical experiences and shadowing you'll still have a good shot at US DO schools, but you'll need a solid MCAT (34+) to counteract your poor GPA. If possible, I'd suggest retaking the courses you scored most poorly in as most DO schools have a grade replacement policy that will redeem your freshman failures and make you a much more competitive applicant.
A score of 28 would suffice. 34+ is good enough for low-tier MD programs.

What do you mean by "US DO"? are there non-US DO?

angldrps

10+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
With the proper extra-curricular activities, clinical experiences and shadowing you'll still have a good shot at US DO schools, but you'll need a solid MCAT (34+) to counteract your poor GPA. If possible, I'd suggest retaking the courses you scored most poorly in as most DO schools have a grade replacement policy that will redeem your freshman failures and make you a much more competitive applicant.
I disagree. OP's GPA is not poor by DO standards instead its only a little lower than the average GPA. a score of 28+ would make OP competitive at several schools.

May 7, 2012
Status
What schools do you think are best to apply to based on my GPA's and prospective score of High 20's to low 30?

Goro

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Quite fussing; get anything >25 and you're fine.

Hey guys, so I've been reading up a lot on hear and am currently studying for the MCATS to take in July. I graduated last year. My GPA was not that high, finished with a 3.26 overall. Freshman year of college killed my GPA. Since freshman year, I've been getting at least 3.54 a term. What would I need to get on the MCAT to give me a chance of being accepted into a DO school?

May 7, 2012
Status
Quite fussing; get anything >25 and you're fine.
That is normally true, but I have a low sGPA (3.04) and cGPA (3.23). So I am not sure which schools to apply to based on this and which schools I will have the greatest chance of acceptance

zzzz
Jul 17, 2011
chillville
Status
Pre-Medical
That is normally true, but I have a low sGPA (3.04) and cGPA (3.23). So I am not sure which schools to apply to based on this and which schools I will have the greatest chance of acceptance
target the newer schools and any school that has regional bias for your area. Youll have a better idea once your mcat score comes in

May 7, 2012
Status
target the newer schools and any school that has regional bias for your area. Youll have a better idea once your mcat score comes in
I live in Philadelphia so my regional schools would be LECOM and PCOM, besides those what other options do I have?

zzzz
Jul 17, 2011
chillville
Status
Pre-Medical
campell, marian, and alabama the three new ones. Marian definitely, but campell will have regional bias for southeast. Alabama has unconfirmed regional bias for alabama residents. shoot for the touros, too but this really will all depend on your mcat score.

About the Ads