DO My chances? 3.1 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 510 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncleDrew23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate some comments/guidence on my current situation. I completely understand my stats, including how they would portray an applicant. Please note, I went through a family crisis that consumed every part of me during years 1-2 of undergrad. I'd be happy to share more privately.

B.S. in biology, Minor in psychology: 3.1 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA.
MCAT: 510.

As for ec's....briefly, as there are many details:

I've been a clinical intern for an MD since 2014, which is where nearly all of my clinical exposure, shadowing, and scribing was done. Within this internship I conducted/assisted in clinical interviews and minor surgery. I volunteered at an assisted living facility. Tutored for chem and bio students. I was also a peer health educator for my university. Mentored robotics teams from my high school. Minimal research, no publications. Within all of these, I earned and maintained leadership roles that are documented. Strong LOR's from these interactions.

I've been looking for some post-baccs or SMP's, as opposed to just retaking classes as a non-degree student. Chiefly, I reside that decision to the planned curriculum and support/committee letter.

I've been recommended to apply next cycle, while completing a post-bacc during that gap. I'd like to prove my developed capabilities to med schools.

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Post bacc may not help your app as much as you think. Ive been told that they really want to see your undergrad GPA. Also apply to DO schools, with a low GPAyou may be screened out of many MD schools.

GL

I'd appreciate some comments/guidence on my current situation. I completely understand my stats, including how they would portray an applicant. Please note, I went through a family crisis that consumed every part of me during years 1-2 of undergrad. I'd be happy to share more privately.

B.S. in biology, Minor in psychology: 3.1 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA.
MCAT: 510.

As for ec's....briefly, as there are many details:

I've been a clinical intern for an MD since 2014, which is where nearly all of my clinical exposure, shadowing, and scribing was done. Within this internship I conducted/assisted in clinical interviews and minor surgery. I volunteered at an assisted living facility. Tutored for chem and bio students. I was also a peer health educator for my university. Mentored robotics teams from my high school. Minimal research, no publications. Within all of these, I earned and maintained leadership roles that are documented. Strong LOR's from these interactions.

I've been looking for some post-baccs or SMP's, as opposed to just retaking classes as a non-degree student. Chiefly, I reside that decision to the planned curriculum and support/committee letter.

I've been recommended to apply next cycle, while completing a post-bacc during that gap. I'd like to prove my developed capabilities to med schools.

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate any input.

Hey, I can understand your situation. Your MCAT is strong so instead of doing a POSTBACC maybe do Masters because that is a level up and do it from a well known institution. And worst case scenario you will at least have a masters and can get a job if you need to for time being. Strive to reach your goal of becoming a doctor... but I am just helping with thinking of back ups for time being( i went through something similar that is why I am saying this) With that being said, make sure to mention that there was a family crisis somewhere in your application or perhaps in your personal statement. You activities are solid and honestly I think you have may have a good chance with osteopathic schools since they have a more holistic approach to applicants. I wish you the best! Hope that helped. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user