Quantcast

My chances? 3.39cGPA + 30Q MCAT

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecapora1

Reaction score
I'm applying broadly and early (my amcas application is already submitted and verified). My stats follow:
cGPA:3.39 *
sGPA: 3.56 *
MCAT: 9BS 10PS 11VR, total 30Q
*note - I am a returning student (26yrsold) and my GPA is low only by virtue of very early grades - it would be 3.98 if only my "current" (past 3 years) grades were calculated.
Extracurriculars:
-- over a year at CARB (Center for Advanced Research in Biotechnology) using mass spectrometry to characterize disease phenotype of age-related macular disorder and the unfoldome of bovine retinal/human temporal lobe tissue
-- currently interning at the National Institute of Health's Core Genotyping Facility using high-throughput methods to genotype cancer patients
-- chemistry and remedial math tutor for many years. First student at the community colleges Math&Science center to acquire candidacy for level 3 CRLA tutor certification
-- A couple years as a personal trainer offering free training for clients (exercise training, exercise regiment and nutritional advice, and POST-INJURY rehabilitative training)
-- EMTB certified
-- other random stuff... (clubs, etc etc...)
-- pretty strong LOR's

I am seeking honest advice on my likelihood of getting accepted somewhere if I apply as early and as broady as possible. I sincerely appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!:oops:

canjosh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How 'bout physician shadowing? I see you're EMT-B certified...have you actually used it? Which state are you a resident of? Interested in applying DO?

ecapora1

Reaction score
How 'bout physician shadowing? I see you're EMT-B certified...have you actually used it? Which state are you a resident of? Interested in applying DO?

No and no, although I have clocked emergency room observation time. I'm a Maryland resident. Thus far I am applying to only MD schools.

Againstalloddz

Reaction score
I have a very similar application, I think you have a good chance! Best of luck to you!!!!

MiniMoo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
No and no, although I have clocked emergency room observation time. I'm a Maryland resident. Thus far I am applying to only MD schools.

Your GPA is low, but given the fact that you performed very well in the last few years of your coursework, I think adcoms should be sufficiently reassured about your academic capabilities.

Your ECs are going to be your biggest problem. Your ER observations could be considered shadowing, but you have zero hours of experience actually working and interacting with patients. Adcoms are also going to wonder why you got EMTB certified but then never put it to use? You need to correct these problems (in addition to getting more shadowing time) in order to make your application competitive, and I don't think you have enough time to adequately fix these issues in time to apply this cycle.

ThaliaNox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really see much clinical experience or volunteering, both of which are important. That, combined with a low GPA would seem to make your application a bit less competitive than many.

Merely taking the class to become an EMT isn't going to have much impact. It's what you DO with it that matters.

I would have recommended waiting a year or applying to DO schools as well to have the best chance of getting an acceptance. This is not to say that you won't, just that it is less likely. According to http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpagridall2007-09.pdf 39.7% of applicants with your stats were accepted.

ecapora1

Reaction score
I don't really see much clinical experience or volunteering, both of which are important. That, combined with a low GPA would seem to make your application a bit less competitive than many.

Merely taking the class to become an EMT isn't going to have much impact. It's what you DO with it that matters.

I would have recommended waiting a year or applying to DO schools as well to have the best chance of getting an acceptance. This is not to say that you won't, just that it is less likely. According to http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpagridall2007-09.pdf 39.7% of applicants with your stats were accepted.

Thank you so much for your honest feedback - all of you.

In light of what was said regarding my clinical experience, I would like to point out that on my application I am emphasizing my time spent exercise training clients (hundreds of hours) as having a clinical aspect. I believe that this is true, although it may seem to some that I am construing it unfairly.

Although my commitments made taking a post-certification EMT impossible, the course itself involved intense clinical training as well as an internship component involving emergency room observation and numerous ambulance rides upon which I served as an EMT-B. I believe that this experience was highly clinical in nature.

Lastly, I am *currently* volunteering at a hospital :) this of course is not included on my application but I will be eager to mention it during an interview.

I admit that I am sort of crossing my fingers here for a single successful admission this cycle... hopefully my July 2009 MCAT will still be applicable if I have to apply again for fall 2012.